Semi finals

I was brought up in Manchester in a City family but I'm in no doubt that Best is the finest player that these islands have produced in my lifetime. I'd go so far as to say that he's the most gifted player of any nationality to ply his trade in our leagues even though Cantona made more of a difference to the group of players that he played with.
There is, of course, only one club that had both Best and Worthington play for them at some time.

there was nothing romantic about the 60's 70's Brendan..it was a tough environment then.

the people who watched George Best for 10 years don't really care about his lifestyle imo..he was carved up every game he played and still achieved a level of greatness matched by very few other players

No he didn't

Gazza was as gifted as any of them Without a doubt

Cantona definitely the most overrated on that list

I'm always amazed at how the 60's and 70's are so romanticized. I loved that era but those players simply would not have had the fitness and pace to keep up with Messi. Also it's not like they did not have great playmakers back then and they weren't all carved up. Did you see what Brazil did to Rodriguez, a constant stream of fouls to inhibit him. Messi gets a lot of that as well it's just that his sense of balance is far superior to most every other player.

As for George Best if he lived the lifestyle today that he did back in the 60's he would have been out of the game in less than half the time it took him back then.

I agree with all that

I believe that Maradona was the most dominant player of the list. A wonderful team player and leader as well as extraordinary talent. An arsehole too of course

But Messi for me is the best of the lot. He's a bit burnt out at the moment but his pure ability and vision stands out

Cruyff should be on list. I wasnt always blown away by ronaldiniho..

None of your business

But one thing I will say. I saw Ron Harris live a good few times and I saw Ashley cole

The difference between the two players? Massive. Athleticism skill speed. Different world.

If there is one area of football that has improved more than any other over past few decades its the ability of full backs. The "kicking in the air" thing is wildly overplayed too.

The skilful forwards of today have it much harder than back then. I am sure of that

:lol: re age

the kicking up in air happened loads..have a look at the 1968 european cup final...see how talented feared players were treated

watch a few revie's leeds games

i went to games in the 60's ..i don't think you did

Col just named 3...in one team

first ever game i went to was in 1967..Forest v Man U..Best spent most of the game on the floor.

i remember from 69/70 period Leeds & Chelsea had some right games..very tasty stuff re tackling.

shall i throw in the surfaces they played on in those days yet Col?:)

Last edited:
Shall I throw in the fact that hunter was so slow that it took him all of half time to walk off the pitch? And the fact that he had the turning circle of an oil tanker?
And that mistake against Poland which wouldn't have been excused in the conference these days?

Messi and Ronaldo? Kick in the air? If he ever got within 20 yards of them

Last edited:
Shall I throw in the fact that hunter was so slow that it took him all of half time to walk off the pitch? And the fact that he had the turning circle of an oil tanker?
And that mistake against Poland which wouldn't have been excused in the conference these days?

Messi and Ronaldo? Kick in the air? If he ever got within 20 yards of them

:lol:

To even that up..take Messi as a baby back in time to 1950...feed him the diet we had in those days for 20 years...and then see if he is a still a lot faster than Norman and Chopper on a quagmire pitch

Last edited:
i remember Peter Lorimer. not one of the all time greats, but with an incredible fast shot. we admired him as boys.

Last edited:
I agree with all that

I believe that Maradona was the most dominant player of the list. A wonderful team player and leader as well as extraordinary talent. An arsehole too of course

But Messi for me is the best of the lot. He's a bit burnt out at the moment but his pure ability and vision stands out

Cruyff should be on list. I wasnt always blown away by ronaldiniho..

Re Ronaldhino Do you not remember that goal at Stamford bridge in 04 Clive?
:whistle:
I still marvel when I watch it on youtube.

Last edited:
Re Ronaldhino Do you not remember that goal at Stamford bridge in 04 Clive?
:whistle:
I still marvel when I watch it on youtube.

I was there.

It was but he could easily be peripheral and had too much of an ego

Hard to argue with Germany winning the WC more of a team than most other countries maybe Columbia aside.

The final was a decent game and Argentina had their chances to win, I thought Messi did ok certainly not as bad as some of the papers made out but overall he disappointed from the knock out stages onwards.

Messi winning the Golden ball was balls and even he knew it, embarrassed for him but that is FIFA for you.

Back