Semi finals

Hamm

At the Start
Surprised at the markets. Germany should be favs with Neymar and Silva playing - without their 2 key players, I'm staggered the market can't split these 2.

Argentina should tear this Dutch defence apart. 1.77 to qualify more than fair. Really. Hope the Oranje get a battering too.. :D

I think tonights game will be really close. Neymars injury is a loss but don't think he actually did much in the qtr final or really in the last 16 game. Dante at the back is a perfectly acceptable replacement for Silva. Low scoring draw and Brazil to nick in ET or on penalties

Agreed on Argentina. The Dutch are horrible and will get a kicking

I think tonights game will be really close. Neymars injury is a loss but don't think he actually did much in the qtr final or really in the last 16 game. Dante at the back is a perfectly acceptable replacement for Silva. Low scoring draw and Brazil to nick in ET or on penalties

Agreed on Argentina. The Dutch are horrible and will get a kicking

Dante is nowhere near as good as Silva - he is a liability.

Hulk has actually been quite good the last few games - I think he should play through the middle, drop Fred and play Willian on the left.

Any chance of the ref coming to the party with regard to bookings tonight? A lot of talk about the lack of action in the last couple of games and both camps talking about clamping down on bad tackles - the ref did miss the Suarez bite but still managed to rack up 4 yellows and a red in his last match, has plenty of form for cards in his native league, over 45 points at 8/5 with Hills, over 40 points 7/5 with PP.

Dante is nowhere near as good as Silva - he is a liability.

Hulk has actually been quite good the last few games - I think he should play through the middle, drop Fred and play Willian on the left.

As a German backer, please dont even suggest they drop Fred, its just not funny:D

As a Brazil backer, I'm happy to retain Fred. Dante may not be Silva but he holds down a place at Bayern so he should know how to handle the German forwards. I'm hoping that the only other change in personnel from the Colombia match will be the return of Gustavo in place of Neymar, allowing Oscar to stay up field and giving more cover when the fullbacks bomb on. Willian can come on after an hour or so, either for Oscar or Paulinho depending on the match situation. Germany have had an easy run through and, while I was confident that they would take care of France, I'm not convinced that they're up to beating the hosts.

If they had a fully fit Aguero and Di Maria, Argentina would be a confident selection. As it is, Di Maria is out and it looks like they may be tempted to play a half fit Aguero in his place. I've said all along that Higuain and Aguero like to occupy the same space and I much prefer Aguero but after his goal against Belgium, Higuain's confidence will be high and I'd be inclined to start with Aguero on the bench to come on later if necessary. Argentina's defence has improved as the competition has gone on, protecting what looks to be a slightly dodgy goalie, and that has been mainly due to my player of the tournament so far, Mascherano, who has been superb sweeping up across the front of the back four. The Netherlands are dangerous on the break but it seems unlikely that Argentina will over-commit and a low scoring match looks inevitable unless there's an early goal. Argentina to shade it for me.

Last edited:
Agree about Fred but so does everyone bar Scolari, it would be good to see Hulk play centrally, Willian probably will get the nod though at Chelsea he usually plays down the right, would be nice to see both Bernard and Willian start but that probably wont happen.

The game will be tight and the central match up between Kedira/Schweinsteiger v Gustavo/Fernandinho will be where it is won. All eyes on the referee tonight, the only interest bet I have had so far is an optimistic over 0.5 yellows in the first 10 minutes @ 7/1, banking on the ref to show his teeth early after the criticism of the last refeering performance in a Brazil game.

Your second point is valid Jakers but I think you've missed the key player out - Kroos. I see him as the pivot now more than Schweini.

Fair point Hamm, he will be helping out for sure but also supporting when they go forward, has made me think that actually Kroos has a hammer of a right foot and so far he has disappointed with his shooting & free kicks, I have just taken 15/2 anytime goalscorer, he is overdue to nail one serious effort at least on target.

I want the Germans to win so going to add Kroos in a score cast, 1-0, 1-1 and 2-1.

The Brazilian style was more skinhead moon stomp than samba last match. An awful example of football for a worldwide audience. I hope they get hammered.

If there is a country that I would want to win rather than a team, then it's undoubtably holland. Only because they are the best footballing nation never to have won the wc.

Probably the four most dismally average semi finalists ever seen. Great wc my arse

The Brazilian style was more skinhead moon stomp than samba last match. An awful example of football for a worldwide audience. I hope they get hammered.

its a very strange thing..the words sublime & majestic come to mind when you think about Brazil..this is more like 70's Leeds

i would never have thought a Brazillian side would meed so much assistance from officials to win a World Cup either..i hope they can win without that..but on paper the Germans ought to win..but i just can't see them being let win..we will see.

Last edited:
Not really ec

This isn't the first dour brazil side by a long way

wel you know what i mean Clive..i go back to Mexico 70 when i was mesmerised by what i watched..and i always think about them in that way..there were other sides later that had similar qualities..i don't feel like its anything like that with these

totally against what i want to happen..Brazil will win ..having 14 on the pitch is a big help

This might not be too far off the mark (and I suspect Argentina will be similarly advantaged tomorrow).

My brother reminded me last night that he'd said at the start of the tournament that he felt the refs & linesmen would maybe have a big say in ensuring that the 'right' teams eventually got to the semis and ultimately the final, ie Brazil-Argentina. (Suits me - I took 9/2 after the group stages.)

If you think I have a suspicious mind, he said he wouldn't even have been surprised if the refs had been briefed accordingly before the tournament began. After all, this is a huge financial phenomenon for the host country, the continent and the organising body.

Would we really have been happy with a Belgium-Costa Rica final?

Last edited:
Agree EC, the pressure of winning has something to do with it and Scolari is the type that would rather win dirty than play the expansive game, this squad has talented players but he would rather choose a line up to grind out a result, now if Klinsmann was in charge!

Sack Roy and put the German in charge!

Surprised but nice to see Bernard start - I take some of it back regarding Scolari :D

Last edited:
Stupid remark

Some are not entirely bewitched by play station games with ordinary sides . Some like to see a side or two that is memorable. There has not been that by any stretch of the imagination and the quarters have been pretty drab to say the least

It's "better" than many world cups but not what the hype has been telling us imo

Back