Euro 2016 betting thread

How many of the Iceland players would walk into the England side?

Any?

Last night wasn't about ability. It was about mentality. This England team doesn't have it.

I recently watched the programme about Euro 1996. It was a great watch. Was there a Stuart Pearce on the pitch last night? If so he was wearing an Iceland strip.

Too many England players are motivated by money. I've no idea how much they get for representing their country but I imagine it won't match their club wages. Until England have players who will walk through a brick wall for their country they will not get to major finals. It's one thing beating up diddy teams [like Scotland] in qualifying campaigns but these other teams are there on merit too. Holland didn't even make it there.

The majority of the England side would walk into the Iceland team. And would have struggled to get out of the group stages.

Im pretty sure the England players dont take any money for representing their country. Its all passed on to charity.

Im pretty sure the England players dont take any money for representing their country. Its all passed on to charity.

I'd imagine, then, that this is something that was agreed some time back?

But if they are basically playing for nowt it leads to two types of mentality:

1. Money is irrelevant - you play for the shirt and the people who support you and you give it your all.

2. I'm not getting paid for this, those fans are idiots splashing out all that cash to follow us but at least we're being pampered so lets just go out and have a kickabout.

I don't see anyone in the England team that would come into the first category.

I'd imagine, then, that this is something that was agreed some time back?

But if they are basically playing for nowt it leads to two types of mentality:

1. Money is irrelevant - you play for the shirt and the people who support you and you give it your all.

2. I'm not getting paid for this, those fans are idiots splashing out all that cash to follow us but at least we're being pampered so lets just go out and have a kickabout.

I don't see anyone in the England team that would come into the first category.

I think its been like that for years DO, the pay was something like £200 or thereabouts so basically not even pocket money for the millionaires. Bit of a publicity thing as well of course.

Why would people think that the players of Spain/Germany/Italy/France etc. aren't the same?

Because they (except Spain)...are still there!
Spain are allowed a bad one? Maybe they couldn't find a bigger trophy cabinet.

Last edited:
I think the minority of England fans who create trouble are a huge handicap to the team. How can you feel pride in the jersey when at the back of your mind is a dread about what these morons are going to do next? There was even a fear at one stage that the team might be sent home.

All the teams with a troublemaking element among their support underperformed.

Croatia?
Accept they were poor against Portugal but they did beat Spain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the minority of England fans who create trouble are a huge handicap to the team. How can you feel pride in the jersey when at the back of your mind is a dread about what these morons are going to do next? There was even a fear at one stage that the team might be sent home.

All the teams with a troublemaking element among their support underperformed.

Germans fans also clashed with Ukraine and Poland?

Apparently Joe Hart is still stuck in France, he put his hand out for the bus but missed it!
:D

More seriosuly, it never rains when it pours for the FA. Poor Euro with no pluses to take out of it. The manager resigns (which is probably a blessing), no obvious candidates to take over, even Gareth 'Mr Nice' Southgate isn't interested despite being groomed for the job, and certainly nobody putting themselves forward. And now to top the lot the news overnight that thieves broke into the FA trophy cabinet room and took its entire contents. Apparently they were caught on camera stealing a white and red carpet.

The "pride in shirt stuff" is tiresome cliché. The team were too tense and managed by a dithering manager
Rotten combination however committed they are. Can't see why others don't see this every conversation I've had here pointed out the same with very obvious examples

Seemed ridiculous to me that after that win in a friendly against Germany he hasn't appeared to know his best team. The desire or need (in his eyes) to include Rooney seems to have been much of the problem of chopping and changing throughout the time in France. There do not appear to be any obvious home-based choices for the job and come to think of it who would want to work for a bunch of tossers??.......of course a massive salary might lure you in.

Southgate would never have wanted it. Hes an intelligent guy and a decent one too but knows full well he's a very glass half empty merchant.Good self awareness here and real tremendous credit to him for that but he couldn't motivate you to fck Christy Canyon

The "pride in shirt stuff" is tiresome cliché.

Agree with that. It seems to be an English obsession. Italy and Germany undisputed heavyweights of European and global football don't have that problem.
English football has a myriad of problems some of which were summed up by Matthew Syed of the Times a few days ago.

For this tournament the players might have been tense but imo that falls back on the manager in this case.
Conte has taken an Italian team that not many were giving a chance before the tournament and makes them look like world beaters.
One could argue that the overall talent of that team is not better then England's

Imo English football and their fans have an over inflated self worth of themselves. They have not belonged to the upper echelon for more than 40 years now.
The Premier League distorts this over inflation even though their teams have not really contended for top honors either in the last several years.

Sorry if I offend sensibilities but English managers are ****, even if the results with international managers have only been marginally better over the years.
Losing to Germany in the last 16 in 2010 is not the same as losing to Iceland.
The players are better than made out to be and I don't think "pride in shirt" plays any significant role here.

The FA another delinquent in all this mess needs to strike out in a bold totally unconventional manner.
Conte is not available, he'll be making a lot of noise with Chelsea.

Go for Simeone. He is the other guy out there who gets a lot more from less.
His results with Athletico are peerless in the manager business
Offer him carte blanche and an open ended contract.
He'll be the first guy to realize if he can't get more out of this crew. My guess is he would without a doubt, whether that is enough to win a big tournament I don't know.
But at least then it will be clear this is as good as England is.
Never was going to be the case with Roy at the helm.

Quote from Simeone today:" A lot of teams have more resources than us but only Barca, Real, and Bayern are better. No one else.
No one else includes all those money rich PL teams.
Hire the man FA!

Agree with that. It seems to be an English obsession. Italy and Germany undisputed heavyweights of European and global football don't have that problem.
English football has a myriad of problems some of which were summed up by Matthew Syed of the Times a few days ago.

For this tournament the players might have been tense but imo that falls back on the manager in this case.
Conte has taken an Italian team that not many were giving a chance before the tournament and makes them look like world beaters.
One could argue that the overall talent of that team is not better then England's

Imo English football and their fans have an over inflated self worth of themselves. They have not belonged to the upper echelon for more than 40 years now.
The Premier League distorts this over inflation even though their teams have not really contended for top honors either in the last several years.

Sorry if I offend sensibilities but English managers are ****, even if the results with international managers have only been marginally better over the years.
The players are better than made out to be and I don't think "pride in shirt" plays any significant role here.

The FA another delinquent in all this mess needs to strike out in a bold totally unconventional manner.

He'll be the first guy to realize if he can't get more out of this crew. My guess is he would without a doubt, whether that is enough to win a big tournament I don't know.

Lots to agree and disagree with, brendanr, but...

I can't imagine the English press or fans will ever forgive Simeone for suckering Beckham into being sent off. I think he would be a visionary appointment but can't imagine it happenening.

How many of the England team would walk into the Italy team? I can't think of any, even Rooney the captain. (Whereas Gareth Bale would walk into any club or national team in the world.) Every Italian defender knows how to defend. England can't keep hens out of middens.

As time goes on, England's delusional sense of self-worth which goes back to 1966 when they were gifted the World Cup increases. They are a second-rate football nation.

as with DO this is more about "the english"than the team so not really worth replying to.

To say they are not worth a "a place in upper echelon" for 40 years simply displays an ignorance about international football and boring prejudice

They were with a hairsbreadth of winning this in 96 and have had semis in the "last forty years". at certain points they have had a pretty good side

There are some very good young players in the side. One thing that has been swiftly forgotten is that they are very green and up and down performances with fragile confidence are simply going to be part and parcel of that

mind you i much prefer we large it. nothing like pissing off ginger/alcoholic/windbag/depressives. Bring it on

(perm any combination)

When a previous manager left Celtic to manage to manage Bolton, that puts that in perspective doesn't it?

But he he would have been offered it? I don't think so...

I'd look at Harry for a year. He knows a lot of the younger players and would give them a nice boost mentally as he always does. The Joe mercer solution. Then it's sounding as if wenger could be interested and that would be fine with me.

The reqson England underperform as a nation is pure coaching and technique. As is the case right across these isles "effort" and "getting stuck in" is the priority. The ball is treated like a hand grenade which was even a frequent fault of a fine player like Gerrard. It takes years to change this but I really think the youngsters now are looking like a different breed.

But managers have been poorly chosen

"Get it down , find a red shirt. And fck off somewhere else"

ie. Calm. Do the right thing. Make your own decision . I trust you

brilliant

it was clough to Keane.

Keane worshipped Clough.

To say they are not worth a "a place in upper echelon" for 40 years simply displays an ignorance about international football and boring prejudice

They were with a hairsbreadth of winning this in 96 and have had semis in the "last forty years". at certain points they have had a pretty good side

The only ignorant one on here is you and a windbag of the highest or in your case lowest denomination.
A hairsbreadth in 96, ffs they did not even make the finals. I guess in your little world that qualifies as a hairsbreadth.
96 that's all you've got for 40 years. Your pitiful excuse of an example just illustrates how blinkered you are.

From 1972 onward: in 72 and 76 did not qualify, 80 group stage, 84 did not qualify, 88 and 92 group stage, 96 semis 2000 group stage, 04 quarters, 08 did not qualify, 12 quarters and 16 last 16 with exit against Iceland.
World cup history from 66, that's 50 years: reached semis once in 90, 4 quarterfinals, 3 round of 16's, 2 group stages and 3 no qualifies.

Pretty good sides don't put you in the upper echelons. I reserve that for teams who repeatedly perform at the highest levels and win or at least truly contend on a regular basis.
Your level of excellence is my level of mediocrity.

Back