TV coverage

I have ITV on in the background.

Megan Nicholls is sounding more and more like Jimmy Lindley...

Not sure where you get that from she sounds nothing like Joanna Lumley. Perhaps if Joanna had a bad hangover

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have ITV on in the background.

Megan Nicholls is sounding more and more like Jimmy Lindley...

Made me chuckle.

I like Megan but if I go cross eyed and drift off mentally I actually think DO is onto something.

Last edited:
I don't have British TV:blink: so I have no idea who these people are that present racing except for Nick Luck on Youtube who seems to know his stuff.

The problem is everyone around here except for us racing and live football fans go to bed about 8-9pm so we have to keep the noise down

Plus racing coverage from some courses sucks i the sense the signal seems to be very weak from some courses

They however think nothing of coming round in Vans with aloud speaker selling veggies at 6 am.

one just woke me and it's 6am............waiting for racing to start because you homelovers decided to change the clocks is a bummer.................1st race 9.15 pm............or Kempton 1am..............being a racing fan here sucks at times and really messes with your British bred clock.

The reason I mention this is aren't they supposed to stop changing the clocks and if so which way will be the permanent way? we are currently 7 hours ahead of you

:blink:

What an offensive comment.

That was my first reaction but given that it was a highly respected woman who wrote it I wondered if I was being a bit woke myself.

Within the four walls of my own home or earshot of my immediate family members, I am very, as my mother would have put it, "pass-remarkable". One of her favourite chidings to us was, "Don't be so pass-remarkable!" whenever we expressed an opinion that might be taken as personal. Nowadays, I suppose it would be called body-shaming (I should talk) or whatever.

But is it time we maybe started talking straight about people who put themselves in the limelight?

My gut says no but I wouldn't mind letting rip sometimes :lol:

It came across to me as body shaming (and completely irrelevant). The fact that it was a woman who said it makes it even worse in my book.

There should be no place in society for such comments imo.

Last edited:
It came across to me as body shaming (and completely irrelevant). The fact that it was a woman who said it makes it even worse in my book.

There should be no place in society for such comments imo.

I do get that, simmo, and I'm not necessarily busting a gut to defend G-G (she's more than able to defend herself) but on a purely personal level I'm not going to criticise when I'm more than capable of saying 100 times worse in private.

Is it okay for an Irish person to tell 'Irish' jokes when it isn't okay for non-Irish people to tell them?

Likewise black people poking fun at black people?

Or Jewish?

Etc, etc, etc...

I sense a can of worms on the verge of bursting open...

I do get that, simmo, and I'm not necessarily busting a gut to defend G-G (she's more than able to defend herself) but on a purely personal level I'm not going to criticise when I'm more than capable of saying 100 times worse in private.

Is it okay for an Irish person to tell 'Irish' jokes when it isn't okay for non-Irish people to tell them?

Likewise black people poking fun at black people?

Or Jewish?

Etc, etc, etc...

I sense a can of worms on the verge of bursting open...

World of difference between laughing at ourselves and laughing at “that group of people over there”, Dessie.

I grew up in a family where it was de rigour to call family members fat or similar, so i saw first hand the effect that it has on people. In my house now, body shaming is not tolerated, and if family members come in and make comments of that nature they get told in no uncertain terms to shut their pie hole.

I don't see that a person being on the TV makes it any more acceptable to do it than in "real" life.

I've been fat since the age of 10 and not allowed to forget it. I am fat whether people say it or not doesn't change the fact. If people say things not anything I haven't before and I am not offended.
Someone on here called me stupid and an idiot in print but that was not deemed to be offensive in any way. No one berated the poster for the comment, so thanks for the support guys. Sorry but your indignation doesn't cut it at my comment.

Last edited:
I've been fat since the age of 10 and not allowed to forget it. I am fat whether people say it or not doesn't change the fact. If people say things not anything I haven't before and I am not offended.
Someone on here called me stupid and an idiot in print but that was not deemed to be offensive in any way. No one berated the poster for the comment, so thanks for the support guys. Sorry but your indignation doesn't cut it at my comment.

Pretty much what I expected from you.

Let's all get over ourselves and this episode.

A part of being of forums like this is after a few years you and others are bound to have said the odd thing that some find offensive.
It's part of what makes forums great. The vast majority of posters don't take things too personal and hold grudges for life.

We should work with the positives.

Last edited:
The big trouble these days are people have lost their sense of humour.
I read GGs post and laughed but I guessed the woke brigade would say something.
I grew up fat and if anyone said anything I would answer them my way not run home and cry to my mom.
You are frightened to tell a joke nowadays without upsetting someone.
Glad I was born when I was.

I hear what you are saying, Steve.

People say comedy itself is not funny anymore.

Maybe people have had a so called sense of humour bypass.

It seems there's a fine line between an insult and a joke.

Last edited:
The big trouble these days are people have lost their sense of humour.
I read GGs post and laughed but I guessed the woke brigade would say something.
I grew up fat and if anyone said anything I would answer them my way not run home and cry to my mom.
You are frightened to tell a joke nowadays without upsetting someone.
Glad I was born when I was.

Humour is but one casualty, plain speaking is another, respect of opposing views is another and tolerance is yet another.

My father referred to my sister as a "fat idiot" for years, right up until she killed herself (not necessarily related to being berated daily.)

My mother was referred to as "fat arse" or "fatty".

I was skinny till I gave up smoking about 14 years ago, so I didn't suffer the same indignities but i have eyes.

Those were the days when boomers ruled the roost and no one had heard of the wokerati. Great days, they've spoiled it now.

Last edited:
I think it's fair to say you needed to be pretty pachydermatous to have grown up in my family.

(You also had to be able to give as good as you got.)

I think it's fair to say you needed to be pretty pachydermatous to have grown up in my family.

(You also had to be able to give as good as you got.)

I don't know what that big word means,I will have to look it up.
I had 5 brothers so we had to give as good as we got.

I hear what you are saying, Steve.

People say comedy itself is not funny anymore.

Maybe people have had a so called sense of humour bypass.

It seems there's a fine line between an insult and a joke.

It isn't

Last great comedy programme was The Office and that was nearly 25 years ago

And don't give me any of that Gavin and Stacey shoite:D

Michael Macintyre has his own TV show

Just think about that

Still watching 'Fools and Horses' replays on a daily basis, and still find them hilarious throughout.
Don't know what that says about me,neither do I care.

Only Fools is simply the best. Trigger is always good for a giggle. Just to look at him.

Back