Constitution Hill

I would imagine that a change in exercise routine due to illness could cause problems with a horses digestive system. But I’m only going by my experience with my ‘ poor man’s racehorse’ ie my whippet. And my first worry when she was recently put on a course of antibiotics was the effect it would have on her gut biome so I’ve given her lots of pre biotics and probiotics. Poor horse. The weight of expectation on him has been far too great.

Something occurred to me recently but I forgot to mention it.

A news item mentioned water contamination in the Lambourn area. Might it be dirty water that's behind the poor form of the yard?

Are any other nearby yards going through a similarly poor spell?

I imagine that’s the local stream that runs through the village rather than the mains water which you’d imagine the yard is supplied with.

Of course my training career was ruined by the water supply due to contamination from nitrogen seeping into the watercourse (as was Jim Old’s) due to being in a highly fertilised arable area (which Lambourn is). It’s not something that many trainers would remotely consider and many didn’t believe me (or Jim Old) But it’s a definite cause of poor form (but not I hasten to add infection).

Such a shame, I just love watching him run. Just sort of folds his legs up and glides over the hurdles - poetry in motion it is. Have to make do with watching re-runs :D.

It’s a huge shame and I just hope he comes back next season to his best. Watching him win the CH was pretty special and filled with so much anticipation for future years.

I imagine that’s the local stream that runs through the village rather than the mains water which you’d imagine the yard is supplied with.

Of course my training career was ruined by the water supply due to contamination from nitrogen seeping into the watercourse (as was Jim Old’s) due to being in a highly fertilised arable area (which Lambourn is). It’s not something that many trainers would remotely consider and many didn’t believe me (or Jim Old) But it’s a definite cause of poor form (but not I hasten to add infection).

You must have run into Brad on your travels.....I met him a few times and every time I did he always somehow he got round to telling me he won the Gold Cup on Bregawn and the Champion Hurdle on Collier Bay :lol:

I met him on occasion but I don’t think he was about so much when I was actually living in Lambourn. Jim Old I met not long after he’d given up training and he told me the reason (this contaminated water like I’d had). He was so grateful for someone to talk to who actually believed what he’d been saying for years about why his horses form had gone. It was a hugely enlightening conversation and made me realise just how much I had lost over the whole business. He did encourage me to keep going at a new base saying I shouldn’t waste all the passion and knowledge I’d gained but by that time I was “outta brass” and it was impossible. He was very kind to me though and I really appreciated it.

Water quality and impurities are a huge problem, and are usually the last thing to be checked.
Tony Martin was nearly closed as his new stable complex was built with pyrite contaminated concrete that poisoned his water system, causing him to lose Giggi among other high profile clients.
Deep well drilling in Saudi Arabia brought up water high in zinc that caused copper deficiency in horses and dairy cows over there; there was a similar problem in Co Meath on a farm purchased , ironically enough by a Canadian mining contractor Gene Kruger to get away from mining became the site of Bula Mines, named after the Champion Hurdler.
As for the myriad of causes of colic, you name it and it could cause it.
Diet, diet change (either by feeder or feed company ) , exercise change, transit, medication especially antibiotics that can change the gut flora.
Anything that can change the gut motility or cause gas production the animal cannot handle.
Of course where colic strikes laminitis can be the next problem to contend with.
WPM made a very interesting observation during the Festival, that when the stable star goes wrong everyone else equine in the yard can follow suit.
When he gets his daily equine injury list he scans it to make sure the big names are absent before continuing his breakfast in peace.

Constitution hill caught some kind of virus which will hardly turn him into a beach based donkey.

He's a comparatively young horse and the long time effects will most likely be zero.

It's not like when Sprinter was hit by a heart disorder it's more like a bout of the flu

Yet some idiots are offering 9/4 about him winning next years Champion Hurdle and there's not one new horse on the horizon to threaten his chances of retaining his title.

I've already backed him for plenty and if City of Troy wins the guineas and he's still around 3/1 I am going in again.:)

If he makes it to the Fighting Fifth and wins it he'll be long odds on again and I will be cleaning up before Cheltenham

Absolutely no comparison FFS.......Constitution Hill has had problems with bacteria etc Monsignor'was badly injured a tendon and was retired

There was never any question of him racing again and when he injured himself again in the same leg/tendon and was put to sleep

Not a bad way to call it a day. Nico will make a great trainer and could be the one to take over but whether he does or not he looks destined for a training career

It's getting harder by the day to beat these bookies.

I am intending to back Constitution Hill yet again if City of Troy wins the 2000 Guineas.

Most bookies are offering 9/4 with 11 months to go but for how much?

I am finding most have limits of £200 to £400 per customer

Even the exchange is only offering £100 at the moment and you have commission off that.

I had a rare ante-post bet on Constitution Hill at 3/1 for the 2023 Champion Hurdle immediately after he won the 2022 Supreme as I considered him the most impressive winner of that race since the ill-fated Golden Cygnet in 1978.

He didn't let me down.

But at the start of this season the market was so lopsided I bet him at 12/1 and 7/2 to never win another Champion Hurdle and just win one more respectively as I've seen so much go wrong for even the greatest horses over the years.

I love the horse, but I doubt if I will ever back him to win another race because I now doubt if he will ever even run in another race, let alone win one.

I had a rare ante-post bet on Constitution Hill at 3/1 for the 2023 Champion Hurdle immediately after he won the 2022 Supreme as I considered him the most impressive winner of that race since the ill-fated Golden Cygnet in 1978.

He didn't let me down.

But at the start of this season the market was so lopsided I bet him at 12/1 and 7/2 to never win another Champion Hurdle and just win one more respectively as I've seen so much go wrong for even the greatest horses over the years.

I love the horse, but I doubt if I will ever back him to win another race because I now doubt if he will ever even run in another race, let alone win one.
What exactly makes you think Constitution Hill will never race again. It isn't like he had tendon, back or some sort of heart problem

If I was a big a pessimist as you I'd stop betting completely

I like to think I am a realist, not a pessimist, and I am actually optimistic about a lot of things.

Off hand I cannot think of a worse bet than Constitution Hill 5/2 ante post to win the 2025 Champion Hurdle.

There have been rumours about his well being since January and for a horse as undoubtedly great as he was at his peak to perform as badly as he did in that racecourse gallop suggests to me there is something very badly wrong there.

You can get better bets on the day at 5/2 most days of the week,

Game of opinions, though, and good luck to those backing him.

I love the horse, he owes me nothing, but then I bet him for the 2023 Champion Hurdle at 3/1 just after he beat Jonbon half the run in in the Supreme and smashed the clock, not just after they had had to send out a search party to find him at Kempton Park.

If a horse has problems like he has it very rarely results in a happy ending. I hope it doesn't mean he doesn't race again and he and state man have a great nettle next march but I'm with you Ian. I'd be very pleasently surprised if he returns to his former glories.

I rarely wish ill on anyone, Ian, but I hope your bets lose :)
Fair enough!

Anyone who has bet the horse to win the 2025 Champion Hurdle (or just loves racing) is more than entitled to hope my bets lose - I would!

I'm so going to Hell for even having these bets!

I have backed COnstitution Hill at an average of 9/4 for the 2025 Champion Hurdle. I am lucky and City of Troy wins the 2000 guineas I will take all the 9/4 I can get and go in again...ask yourself this. If Nicky says he's on target for the Fighting Fifth...what price will he be then ? If he is declared he"ll be cut again and if he. Wins in a canter he be 4/9 at best. The opportunities to lay your bet off will be plentiful...you will need balls...you need the balls to back him but you will need even bigger balls to lay him off if he is back to his best

Good luck with your bet.

As stated it is a game of opinions and differing opinions make the market.

Plus it would be boring if we all agreed all the time.

I am not absolutely certain the horse, even if he recovers fully, will even remain over hurdles and the only reason why I am not on the machine and absolutely striping Constitution Hill at the 5/2 is that I don't want to tie up the money for almost a year.

Barely a week and we already "seem to have a difference of opinion, Geoffrey!"

What fun.

Last edited:
Back