Constitution Hill

I think the owners experience with The Proclamation was a key factor in the decision.I think Henderson is full of **** when he mentions the Unibet International hurdle as a possible target -heavy ground in January -just what he likes for his Cheltenham prospects.Maybe it was just an opportunity to say Unibet in public.

I don't think any horse has ever won the Champion Hurdle and Champion Chase, what's the harm in trying to do that?

Maybe unpopular but IMO a better class of horse runs in the Champion Chase compared to the Gold Cup.

I don't think any horse has ever won the Champion Hurdle and Champion Chase, what's the harm in trying to do that?

Maybe unpopular but IMO a better class of horse runs in the Champion Chase compared to the Gold Cup.

Barnbrook Again probably came closest to doing it -Sizing Europe unlucky not to do it.Two of my all time favourites.

This 4 Champion Hurdles is a near impossibility for a horse of his age.

No horse that won a Champion Hurdle as a 9year old or older was even placed in the race as a 5 year old or 6 year old.

Sea Pigeon was 8 when he finished second and Hurricane Fly never ran in the race until he was a 7year old.

Not many horses who are speedsters as young horses retain the speed needed to compete at the top level for 4or 5 years

I have no problem with CH sticking to hurdles. I just hope connections are a bit more adventurous; maybe go over to the Dublin Festival in February and/ or a crack at the Betfair, as DO has said. I prefer hurdlers to chasers anyway, but I’d love to see his rating rise to the high 180s. There doesn’t seem to be a Night Nurse or Israbraq on the horizon to test him, sadly.

You are right but I would bet he will never jump a fence now.

If he was going chasing now was the time.

He'll get tested in a handicap. Stick a bonus into the Greatwood involving a tie-in to any Festival race.

Not a cat in hells chance Henderson will run him in a big h'cap

He just wants his best horses to trot round in 3/4 runner races before Cheltenham

Same with Sprinter and Altior

I have no problem with CH sticking to hurdles. I just hope connections are a bit more adventurous; maybe go over to the Dublin Festival in February and/ or a crack at the Betfair, as DO has said. I prefer hurdlers to chasers anyway, but I’d love to see his rating rise to the high 180s. There doesn’t seem to be a Night Nurse or Israbraq on the horizon to test him, sadly.

I thought you were against the cruelty of jump racing -make your mind up.

One of the great attractions of racing is playing the IF in life.
Pity these two senior citizens do not see it that way.
C'est la vie.

They certainly won't have won a popularity contest..I reckon this was always Nicky's plan as he has a great buisiness brain and always put's Seven Barrows pocket first.

At their age immortality is gained by going for it, Dawn Run will never be forgotten despite all that went wrong.
CH will be forgotten eventually unless they go the brave man's route imo.
Night Nurse's role as a chaser, not quite as good as Silver Buck and unlucky to meet an in form Little Owl did his hurdling reputation, or the respect held for him as a racehorse no harm at all.
He will always be remembered as one hell of a horse that went out on his shield.

At their age immortality is gained by going for it, Dawn Run will never be forgotten despite all that went wrong.
CH will be forgotten eventually unless they go the brave man's route imo.
Night Nurse's role as a chaser, not quite as good as Silver Buck and unlucky to meet an in form Little Owl did his hurdling reputation, or the respect held for him as a racehorse no harm at all.
He will always be remembered as one hell of a horse that went out on his shield.
Can't have that, far too premature to say he won't leave a legacy over hurdles, Istabraq and Hurricane Fly are two recent examples of Hurdlers that will never be forgotten.

They certainly won't have won a popularity contest..I reckon this was always Nicky's plan as he has a great buisiness brain and always put's Seven Barrows pocket first.

Well, if you can pick up half a million picking off the top hurdle races without breaking sweat why chance your arm, I suppose.

Can't have that, far too premature to say he won't leave a legacy over hurdles, Istabraq and Hurricane Fly are two recent examples of Hurdlers that will never be forgotten.

I'd have Isty in a match bet over Hurricane Fly any day of the week, but I take your point.

I consider this Forum and people in it the epicentre of Racing intellect and intelligence. Yet there are those among us that postulate that Nicky Henderson might run Constitution Hill (a) in a handicap hurdle or (b) Ireland.

You disappoint me.

I consider this Forum and people in it the epicentre of Racing intellect and intelligence. Yet there are those among us that postulate that Nicky Henderson might run Constitution Hill (a) in a handicap hurdle or (b) Ireland.

You disappoint me.

Hope rather than postulate.

The Champion Hurdle was being criticised not too long back because most of the top novice hurdlers were being sent straight to novice chasers the following season.

Hurdling shouldn’t just be a springboard for fences and while I’d have loved to have seen him go chasing, we have to hope that something can develop into a true rival to keep the division healthy.

No brainer,imo.
Gold Cup's the chasing pinnacle, but there are strong doubts about his stamina, or stay hurdling,where he has the potential to be the best we've seen.

Last edited:
Back