What are you backing Today? Part 2

I have two or three in mind for the Irish National on Monday but am holding off for the final decs later this morning before going in.

First bets struck. Any Second Now 12/1 (split between Ladbroke and Coral - same bookie, I know, but if more than one bookie is going the same price I often split my stake among them in the hope it keeps me under the radar a bit.)

For me, Any Second Now is a must bet. They obviously gave up trying for Aintree with the handicapper just not giving him any sort of a break so this will be its biggest chance for one large pot before – presumably – retiring. I’m struggling to try and remember if McManus ever had only one runner in this race. I don’t believe for a second that it has lost any of its ability and the handicapper has at last been very kind to it. It was rated 167 in last year’s National, which is only a handful of runs back. For the last few years its campaigns have all been about Aintree but it’s a genuinely classy horse in its own right.

I wouldn't be in the least surprised if the price collapsed over the next 48 hours.

Last edited:
Irish Nash too competitive for me. I'll settle for a bet in the Magnolia. Dubai Honour is too short, Flying Honours has yet to prove he's trained on from his 2yo days so I'll have a bit on Lion's Pride who looks the type to improve as a 4yo.

I've looked at three races and decided to keep stakes modest again.

Singles, doubles and an ew treble (to diminishing stakes):

Haydock 3.15 - Numitor (6/1 taken early for the single but only got 4s by the time I was putting the other bets on)
Musselburgh 3.35 - Chillingham (4/1)
F/house 5.05 - Comfort Zone (13/2 single, 11/2 otherwise).

Off to a nice enough start :)

Haydock 3.15 - Numitor (6/1 taken early for the single but only got 4s by the time I was putting the other bets on)
Musselburgh 3.35 - Chillingham (4/1)(NR)
F/house 5.05 - Comfort Zone (13/2 single, 11/2 otherwise).

Pretty shocked this morning to see CZ right in to 5/2. I wasn't expecting that but I'll take it as a positive.

Late market weakness gave the game away. CZ wasn't there to win.

Brilliant ride on the winner by the 7lbs claimer.

Last edited:
Lion's Pride at Kempton although price gone now.

I've tackled the Grade 2 at Fairy. Saint Sam is just another can only win from the front in a terrible race Blood Destiny type pointless horse imo so I'm taking him on with Journey with Me.

First bets struck. Any Second Now 12/1 (split between Ladbroke and Coral - same bookie, I know, but if more than one bookie is going the same price I often split my stake among them in the hope it keeps me under the radar a bit.)

For me, Any Second Now is a must bet. They obviously gave up trying for Aintree with the handicapper just not giving him any sort of a break so this will be its biggest chance for one large pot before – presumably – retiring. I’m struggling to try and remember if McManus ever had only one runner in this race. I don’t believe for a second that it has lost any of its ability and the handicapper has at last been very kind to it. It was rated 167 in last year’s National, which is only a handful of runs back. For the last few years its campaigns have all been about Aintree but it’s a genuinely classy horse in its own right..

Probably my pocket talking but I reckon swap the first two jockeys and you swap the finishing order. I was saying under my breath ll through the second circuit that IR was getting a brilliant ride and that ASN, with his speed over shorter, should have been closer, even though he was never far off the pace.

I'd also have to question the ride Townend gave the favourite but maybe his stamina wasn't guaranteed.

The winner's wasn't either but I've always said if you're going to run them over a new trip you have to assume they will stay and ride them accordingly.

Always a great race and today was no different.

Well done all who backed the winner.

Lion's Pride at Kempton although price gone now.

I've tackled the Grade 2 at Fairy. Saint Sam is just another can only win from the front in a terrible race Blood Destiny type pointless horse imo so I'm taking him on with Journey with Me.

Yup. Well done!

Last edited:
Wen Moon - 3.15 Pontefract - 0/30 Win.

Kestrel Valley - 3.30 Ludlow - 7/2 Win

Blogged :)

Last edited:
Back