World Cup 2014

Is he not talking about friendly games? I assumed he was rather than a qualifier or tournament game, if he means friendlies then that is common practice by every single manager, to play in a world cup more often than not helps a players career.

Last edited:
Croatia are 110 on the machine. IF you think they will beat Mexico, they will play Netherlands or Chile in the second round, followed by Costa Rica/Ivory Coast (maybe) in the quarters. Not a bad route to the semi final.
I seem to remember you using similar words about first Spain and then England.:cool:

So the group stages are almost complete and I'm still completely none the wiser as to who will win.
I've backed Argentina and feel that, like Brazil they are too weak at the back, however both of their star men seem to be on fire and if they continue to do so will always have channces in games.
Of the other European sides France and Holland look good, but as we all know too well, their hands are always millimetres away from the self destruct button.
Germany are well......just Germany as always. However, their full backs are basically centre halves and look very susceptible to pace. (That 3 on 2 Ghana had late on against them was painful to watch!).
Belgium have not impressed in a weak group.
Of the South Americans I think Colmbia look the best equipped to serve it up to the big boys, but I'm not sure they have the experience.
I love Chile's atttitude and work rate but Im pretty sure they will fall short.
Mexico's coach is brilliant to watch and they are dangerous too.
Anyone else have any thoughts?

-

I cashed out my Betfair win market yesterday at a profit (I had backed several teams, all were shorter) as the cash out offer was better than the average return I thought possible (in other words, I had no clue for a big exposure). I still have Germany at 7s and am happy with that though share your concerns - if Lahm was moved to left back, and Schweini came in, I feel they would be so much better. Furthermore, their wide-ish forwards (Ozil and Gotze) are better with full backs offering width.

I will also back Columbia at 22s, as they have impressed me the most.

On Argentina, I had them backed due to their route to the semis but watching the game yesterday (and their other ones) forced me to cash out - they have no cohesion, and their defence and midfield will probably be the worst of any of the teams in the last 16 - I don't believe it's possible to win like this, even with Messi. Brazil's is bad, but nowhere near as bad as the Argies.

I think Chile will give Brazil at least a scare, but if Columbia get through they will knock them out.

Now we are into quarter finals, and I'm still none the wiser, I backed Argentina before the start and haven't played in the outright winner market since.
I'm losing confidence on my bet each day as Messi aside they have been awful and they have a lot of big name players who just haven't turned up.
Brazil, I haven't fancied them since the opening game and nothing has changed my mind.
Germany, exposed badly against Algeria, a more clinical side would have beaten them comfortably.
France, to me look the best side in the comp.
A lot of people on here are sweet on Colombia, they do look value, but Uruguay are no great shakes and I remember them clinging on for the win aginst the Ivory Coast.
The Dutch, keep grinding out wins, they have become almost German like and on paper have the easiest quarter final, however they have that searing heat against Mexico to recover from.
Belgium, did not impress me in the group stages but were far better against the USA, just don't see their centre midfiled being strong enough.
If I do play again it will be France @ 8-1.

Last edited:
i like France a lot..Argies ..that must be one of the worst WC cup games i ever watched..awful apart from Messi...can a one man team win it?..would doubt it.

looking forward to the France Germany clash...first proper clash of the big boys

Agree - thing is, Messi hasn't even been that good (some brilliant goals aside).

I would have clipped di Maria round the head for that attempted cross yesterday..

Agree - thing is, Messi hasn't even been that good (some brilliant goals aside).

I would have clipped di Maria round the head for that attempted cross yesterday..

yes he can be even better as we know..yes good job i wasn't manager as they wouldn't have scored ..because when he did that cross he would have been straight off the field...it was one of the most stupid things i have ever seen at any level of football..couldn't believe what i was seeing...if you had been a team mate i think it would have been very easy to just to walk off the field than play with a fool like that. Because he scored he will get away with it.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how much can be read into the performances of the 'big names' in that last round. I suspect finding a way of getting through rather than blasting their way through was the order of the day.

These teams would know that, like all the bigger tournaments in sport, the longer it goes on the more likely it is that the bigger teams will go through so extra time is, if anything, to their advantage. Not many of them were busting a gut in the last 10 minutes of regulation time. They were relying on counter attacks while staying defending from the midfield back.

Now that the eight group winners will contest the quarters (what was that accy worth before the last round started?) it will be interesting to see if they open up a bit. Neither side will be particularly advantaged by extra time unless they are pretty sure about the content of their cojones in a [penalty] shootout.

No problem with that Di Maria did, he can't cross with his right foot, he can cross doing the rabona because he's a fantastic player and I've seen him do it before, it just didn't work out on that occasion, little too much pace on the ball probably.

He crossed in with his right foot soon after and it was terrible, as the other one would have been. The shame is that if he had just ran it out of play or even hit the first man he'd get nowhere near the criticism, he tried to put in the best ball that he could rather than settle for crap.

No problem with that Di Maria did, he can't cross with his right foot, he can cross doing the rabona because he's a fantastic player and I've seen him do it before, it just didn't work out on that occasion, little too much pace on the ball probably.

In a friendly game here.

yes he can be even better as we know..yes good job i wasn't manager as they wouldn't have scored ..because when he did that cross he would have been straight off the field...it was one of the most stupid things i have ever seen at any level of football..couldn't believe what i was seeing...if you had been a team mate i think it would have been very easy to just to walk off the field than play with a fool like that. Because he scored he will get away with it.

I text my mate that yesterday when i saw it, albeit with far more colourful language!

Back