World Cup 2014

dvds2000

Gone But Not Forgotten
Just added this forum for specific discussions relating to the World Cup 2014 rather than have them hidden all over the forum in other sections :D

Please,
Say if there is a tie at the conclusion of a particular Group's matches, what is the procedure for determining which of the two tied teams goes on to the knock-out stage?
Okay the top two teams progress but if the second ties with the third on points, how is it decided which one goes through?

England boosted from 11/5 to 4/1 by Ladbrokes to win Group D up until there is a goal scored in this England v Honduras match at the moment. Currently 3.45 on Betfair.

Also boosted by Laddies "England to qualify" from Group D from 4/7 to Evens. 1.60 on Betfair. Max £25.

A couple of nice little arbs.

Last edited:
Damn this lightning storm.
A strong chance this match might well be abandoned altogether. :(

Being a Scot I don't care the same as you Englanders but it's when you don't expect them to do well the probably will.

They were saying on TFR that there's not the usual fever and support behind the English team.

No wonder Wallace and The Bruce beat yer a$$es from which you should be pulling your fingers from and giving the lads the best support you can.

And if there was "fervour" cue endless posts about England's "arrogance" and so on

As we have seen before

Too harsh Harry. Keegan was clueless

I've backed England to win four-figures. Call it an insurance policy.

Despite the fact that there are still some old-hands on parade, there's a certain mystery about this England side - and something might just click when it gets down to the real business.

I'm just hoping it's the friendlies that has made them look poor. Other nations have also struggled in friendlies recently.

I thought England look a lot better when Wilshire and Barkley came on, seemed to gel better with Lallana who suddenly looked a threat (had a small wager after the game on Lallana top Englnad scorer 25s)....

Sterling will start against Italy I think with Barkley coming off the bench, I hope Roy is brave and starts Wilshere too as he can at least hold on to the ball, the Lampard and Gerrard partnership has had its time.

Despite the fact that there are still some old-hands on parade, there's a certain mystery about this England side - and something might just click when it gets down to the real business.

Have you had a nasty bang on the head since I last saw you!

Friendlies are all about developing understanding between groups of players. The fact that Hodgson started the same eleven yesterday as against Peru indicates that that is his preferred option for Italy. Sterling, of course, was suspended yesterday and it's possible that he'll replace Welbeck against Italy but probably not. England's main problem, lack of pace, isn't likely to be an issue against Italy. They kept possession quite well last night and rushing about isn't an option in Manaus unless we're chasing the game in the last 20 minutes.
Sterling, Barkley, Lambert and Wilshere as impact subs and Milner, Lampard and Jones as consolidating subs depending on how the game is going. A draw would be acceptable and looks the most likely result at this distance.

I think Roy's selections will cost them - Welbeck shouldn't be anywhere near the squad - I'd even have Milner starting ahead of him. I think the role they've given Henderson, they would be better off with Wilshere.

I'd have Ox-C instead of Lallana if fit.

Italy very hard to judge.

I can't remember where I saw this (btw?) but defence will be very important - England's isn't great. Johnson, Jagielka (a little) and centre midfield all defensive issues. They need to tighten this up.

Just added this forum for specific discussions relating to the World Cup 2014 rather than have them hidden all over the forum in other sections :D

This has turned into one of your better ideas. Not since you banned 32 of 79 accounts in 2011 have you had your finger on the pulse.

I have been playing around with a predictor this morning and see the following quarter finals:

Spain v England (Spain coming 2nd in their group and knocking Brazil out)
France v Germany
Netherlands v Italy
Argentina v Belgium

Those in bold are the ones I see (hope) progressing.

Germany to play Spain in the semis, Italy v Argies.

With Belgium looking dreadful yesterday, you have to think the draw has really opened up for Argentina to get to the final. They will most likely have to beat:
Switzerland
Belgium/Portugal
Italy/Netherlands
to get to the final. That's not too bad, for all I would hope (financially) Italy can beat them.

Anyway, their path is easier than others, and 5.2 may represent a little value, which can always be laid off down the line.

I like the Germany-Argentina final at nearly 8/1.

Last edited:
Redknapp:

"“I can tell you when I was at Tottenham, when full internationals came around, there were two or three players who did not want to play for England,” he told BBC 5 Live. “They would come to me 10 days before the game and say: ‘Gaffer, get me out of that game, I don’t want to play in that game.’"

"There were 12 England players who worked under Redknapp at Spurs – Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Aaron Lennon, Darren Bent, Scott Parker, David Bentley, Jermaine Jenas, Michael Dawson, Tom Huddlestone, Jonathan Woodgate, Ledley King and Kyle Walker – though the QPR manager’s apparent reluctance to identify those to whom he was referring riled Gerrard."

Harry just exaggerating to sell his book or is there some truth in it. If the latter who would you put in the frame?

I find it difficult to think 'Arry is being totally honest 'ere.

Croatia are 110 on the machine. IF you think they will beat Mexico, they will play Netherlands or Chile in the second round, followed by Costa Rica/Ivory Coast (maybe) in the quarters. Not a bad route to the semi final.

Redknapp:

"“I can tell you when I was at Tottenham, when full internationals came around, there were two or three players who did not want to play for England,” he told BBC 5 Live. “They would come to me 10 days before the game and say: ‘Gaffer, get me out of that game, I don’t want to play in that game.’"

"There were 12 England players who worked under Redknapp at Spurs – Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Aaron Lennon, Darren Bent, Scott Parker, David Bentley, Jermaine Jenas, Michael Dawson, Tom Huddlestone, Jonathan Woodgate, Ledley King and Kyle Walker – though the QPR manager’s apparent reluctance to identify those to whom he was referring riled Gerrard."

Harry just exaggerating to sell his book or is there some truth in it. If the latter who would you put in the frame?

I find it difficult to think 'Arry is being totally honest 'ere.

Bentley would be the prime suspect there. I doubt Woodgate and King are likely, as they both suffered so much with injuries they'd probably be happy to play no matter what.

Back