What are you watching

montyracing2

At the Start
Could not quite put the following under 'movies', so:

For those unaware, and I am usually last in picking up a recommendation, can I just say how much I have enjoyed watching Dexter Series 1 to 3, over the last few months. It contains some great storylines and some rib tickling humour.

MR2

I always watch anything 'based on' Agatha Christie's stuff, particularly David Suchet as Hercule Poirot. It's not just the brilliant little stories, it's Suchet's exquisite development of the 'fussy little Belgian', the perfect 1930s sets, and the correct dialogue for the time. It's a series where there's nary a jarring note of any sort - research and production values at their highest.

I loved Dexter when I had my bigger cable package, but I've had to cut costs so he's gone for now. Lots of very, very funny moments of the blackest of dark humour, witticisms and wonderful dialogue. In spite of the gory theme, Dexter manages to neither glorify the anti-hero's often heroic undertakings, or make them seem trivial to him. Every person he bumps off has been a horror of one sort or the other, yet it doesn't have me baying for lynch-mob 'justice'. It's the nice logic he displays which I can agree with, even though I wouldn't have the guts to take on his work. I also like that he's always aware that any mistake he makes could be the end of him, and that adds a huge frisson to the enjoyment of the work: the realisation when he's made a tiny error, and the eye-popping efforts to put things right before the cavalry arrives. Will it always work? Will he ever pay the price?

Yes, that was Season 1. Season 2 Dex almost gets caught and JImmy Smits guest stars in Season 3 and is brilliant. I'll be picking up Season 4 shortly.

I got up to the Jimmy Smits finale, Euro. Is Season 4 of Dexter available on DVD, do you know, please? Once I've flogged off my flat (best part of Brighton, for the over-60s, very reasonable, if any of you want to relocate your Mums or Grannies!!), I will crank up the Virgin package so I can get it back. Right now, it'd be a too-costly indulgence.

Could not quite put the following under 'movies', so:

For those unaware, and I am usually last in picking up a recommendation, can I just say how much I have enjoyed watching Dexter Series 1 to 3, over the last few months. It contains some great storylines and some rib tickling humour.

MR2

Just started on Dexter. Highly enjoyable. Recommend to all

I never ever watch TV don't even have one in my study but I love downloading torrents and watching a full series.

Can't wait for Spartacus to return which was brilliant but right now I'm watching Boston Legal.

Denny Crane!!! you gotta love him.

Both Bill Shatner and James Spader outdid themsleves in this.

Brilliant series that looks at both the funny and serious issues of life and law.

In between I've been watching Nikita because Maggie Q is a doll and it ain't half bad.

Loved Garrow's Law and yes, I too want to see lots more. The social history is fascinating - I love the way the jury just confers, in court, for about five minutes before arriving at sentence. The insights into the lack of any rights for women and children are terrific.

It's an understated little number from Oz, but The Slap (featuring British actress Sophie Okonedo) is also a lovely exposition of human frailties, vulnerabilities, the loss of vitality through ageing, the presumptiveness of youth, and so on. Ranges well beyond what look like narrow suburban confines in this exploration of the nuances - often hidden or subconscious - of life.

The Killing II continues to fascinate in the same way as the above two series - there is little more intricate than human relationships, whatever the hook for the storyline is.

And Ricky Gervais's Life's Too Short, featuring Warwick Davis, a professional actor who happens to be a dwarf, is more thoughtful than one might assume from its groanworthy title. At first, you think it's a one-trick pony about a vastly self-important 'little person' (Warwick) trying to make it big (groan at pun) in films. But it's got quite a bite about attitudes to those who are different.

Outnumbered. Outstanding family comedy, but a bit unrealistic.

Justified. Excellent American show about the US Marshall service. Very good cast.

Outnumbered was quite cute, although I had the feeling that neutered, put-upon-Dad was a bit outdated as a concept, even allowing for the fashion to show children as superior to dimwitted adults. I suppose the aim is at young families and preteenies.

I think there are plenty of pussified dads out there, I work with a few for a kick off - but no way could anyone put up with the little lad without giving him the occasional back hander.

Watched The Lost Christmas last night. Quite a magical, twisty-turny tale - with a happy ending.

Got a box set of "Rome" as a present last night, is it worth watching or should I flog it on Ebay before i open it?

Back