Wednesday 24th April 2024

yorick

Apprentice
Here in Norwich, grey skies are holding court, as ever. The forecasters tell us that the old currant bun will make an appearance come the afternoon but I’ll believe it when I see it. At last, though, that familiar feature to us Eastcoasters, the north-easterly wind. has arrived. It’s the usual ritual that has to be borne until we can hope for any rise in temperatures and anything resembling summer. Bitingly cold, it’s referred to by locals as a ‘lazy’ wind: too lazy to go round you, so it goes straight through. Anyway, the last frost has gone (famous last words) so I shall be out, after writing this, fleece insulated, to plant my begonias, that good old trusty summer friend.

I’m looking at the rear end of the 23/24 Nh season and, as I wrote before, it’s only my noted horses that I’ll be backing from now and even then for small stakes. I share them just out of interest.

There are three tomorrow:

Apple Away – 2.25 Perth 3/1 Win

Anyone who’s been reading my blog will know that I’ve been a big fan of this girl all season and was gutted to see her fall by the wayside at Cheltenham, after having forgone what I thought were great opportunities in two of the handicaps.
I know that there are those that reckon Mullins will wipe the floor with all contenders at this meeting but I’ll not be abandoning my lass here. If she does blow out, then I think we can look forward to some great handicap fun next term. Trainer Russell three winners from last seven runners, by the way.

Hurricane Harvey 2.35 Ludlow 11/1 Ew

I made a note of this gelding in December when he put in a promising run to finish well in third off an OR off 129.
That was in a Cl 2 at Newbury and it’s worth bearing in mind, too, that it was only last April (six runs ago) that he was beaten just 3/4 L by Broadway Boy in another Cl2 off 127. So here we find him down to Cl 4 and a mark of 122 at Ludlow, where he’s twice a course winner. Surely I’d be silly not to have a little look Ew, don’t you think?

Lastly, I cannot let this one go completely unnoticed, even though he was spotted in a chase and this is a hurdle race:

Fancy Stuff – 4.37 Ludlow 12/1 Ew

I do think that this one has to be backed for a little off her current hurdle mark of 87. After all, when I noted her in that chase in December, it was off a mark of 92. Really, I think it’s well worth a tiny pop here.

3 x Singles
Ew Trixie

Let's see how they go, eh?

Good luck.

Last edited:
ne'er cast a clout till May is out!

Don't know where that came from. Don't recall ever seeing a frost after the 3rd week of April, but then again I've only ever been 'Southern-half' inland.

Happy begonia planting and GL with today's runners. I'll try the EW treble, I think. So GL to both of us!

Hmmm, well.

It's hard to watch, isn't it., when a selection runs so badly for no apparent reason. Never travelling at all, Hurricane. I don't know. Just one of those runs. Hard to bear.

Another one of those I hate; halved in price during the morning which is always deadly for me. Ho hum.

Lovely jumping performance from Apple Away. I'm so pleased with that after the Cheltenham let-down. It's made my day.

yeah been threatening to win a nice one for some time.

Fancy tried at least, but jumped left/slightly clumsily at the last 3. Prob wouldn't have been a lot closer but still that wouldn't have helped.

Last edited:
Nah. That was a weak, non-trier ride from Mr King on Fancy that. I reckon they'll revert to fences and then we see when they put a job jockey aboard, mate. I'd be surprised if the stewards didn't have a question or two to ask of the pilot after that.

Ahead for the day, notionally anyway.

Last edited:
Back