TV coverage

Ted Walsh retires from punditry after 40 years.
I well remember his first efforts Easter 1983 Fairyhouse; he was riding Shrewd Operator in Hunters Chase when Eliogarty was raging favourite after his Cheltenham win.
Ted , quite rightly said they were riding for second unless something happened the favourite.
Anyways Caroline Beasley was unseated and Ted held his mount up until after the last before going away and winning.
Post race analysis he gave included the immortal line "going to the last you either give one a kick or a pull and I'm getting too old for kicking one !"
Thanks for the many memories Ted.

I saw that this morning and thought how massive a performance that must have been 15 years ago with prize money now probably twice what it was then.

He’s done it by £74 according to the RP after Knappers Hill won the second last and Samarrive and Iceo picked up money in the last following Greaneteen and Quel Destin earlier. Some performance indeed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He’s done it by £74 according to the RP after Knappers Hill won the second last and Samarrive and Iceo picked up money in the last following Greaneteen and Quel Destin earlier. Some performance indeed

Just squeaked it. With five winners last year, he must have thought it would be easy peasy with his hand this year. I expect Enrillo not making it past the second hurt since he thought it was his best chance. Hope the horse is ok, I haven’t heard otherwise?

Last edited:
Anyone else already tired by Dettori riding in his final........(if there was a vomit emoji, I would have employed it by now!)

Last edited:
Do we? I need to find it...will have plenty to say I’m sure before the season is out!

AC....brilliant as ever! I have just finished writing my report from an extremely wet South Hill yesterday (yes I do know that I should invest in a micro-recorder and not rely on soggy paper!) and am now feeling exceptionally inadequate in the literary department!

Last edited:
Chindit more interested in taking a bite of William Buick there than winning the race

Great photo!

Apparently it’s not the first time he’s tried to take a chunk out of another horse.

Theres been a few over the years.theres some good photos on facebook.
Was it ubedizzy that had to wear a muzzle.

Yes.

Suarez should have been made to wear one on the park!

As an aside, it looked like a big run from Chindit until that point. Hannon had detailed in an interview how the horse had developed over the winter. That seemed to be borne out in this performance. But I'm still not convinced it was a proper G1 but maybe that's coloured by my disappointment with Mutasaabeq. The kick he showed from the front two out and Newmarket just wasn't there yesterday. Maybe he wasn't quite over that run, maybe Crowley overdid the pace up front. We'll see what the sectionalistas say.

Last edited:
Yes.

Suarez should have been made to wear one on the park!

As an aside, it looked like a big run from Chindit until that point. Hannon had detailed in an interview how the horse had developed over the winter. That seemed to be borne out in this performance. But I'm still not convinced it was a proper G1 but maybe that's coloured by my disappointment with Mutasaabeq. The kick he showed from the front two out and Newmarket just wasn't there yesterday. Maybe he wasn't quite over that run, maybe Crowley overdid the pace up front. We'll see what the sectionalistas say.

Here's the sections from the Lockinge. My rudimentary reading of them suggests maybe Mutasaabeq did go off too fast.

Screenshot (7).png

I think the reason he looked so good at Newmarket was because he handled the softer ground so well whereas others didn’t. And yesterday the ground was considerably quicker so didn’t play to his strength. I’m not saying he’s not a decent horse, it’s just on a more level playing field, he’s not superior.

Back