Thursday 9th May 2024

yorick

Apprentice
Not a good day yesterday.

I know it's the risk that finding excuses for horses can seem like pocket talk but I've been watching the game long enough to know how a horse has been ridden. I know that Princess Shabnam was not on it. Here is a horse who very often has made the running, given a middle draw here. Many a time we will see a horse bust out of the stalls and get a good position early on, especially if they can be front runners like PS. No, the jockey leaves the stalls at a leisurely pace and get's in behind horses. At the business end, the jockey is very easy on the horse: a couple of whipflicks and that was it. 'Not a going day' is the euphemism. As Outsider has pointed out, it could well be that they have the 7.5f race at the course in mind at the end of May. She'd get in there with about 8.12 or so.

The other one yesterday, Salamanca City was another who was just having a run and never going to win. Yes, fifth, but not exactly asked any serious question by Doyle up top. In the final furlong a couple of those 'look at me trying' - type touches with the crop. Yes, another day.

Anyway, on to today and, at last, we get to see Military Tycoon in a handicap. There's still some soft in the ground, which is good, although I would have liked to see him racing over slightly further. Still, 2m 2f should be enough. If the ground gets too firm, I'd expect the trainer to take him out.

Military Tycoon - Stratford 7.50 12/1 Ew

Next, I think this may well be the day to back:

Cottie – Huntingdon 1.50 12/1 Ew

He did me a favour at 14/1 in Eire the last time I backed him and since then he’s joined Skelton for whom he’s had four runs. It’s worth noting that when he won, he did so after taking it up at the second hurdle and making it from there. In all his four runs in theis country he’s been held up at the rear; they weren’t on were they. He won that race in Eire off 104 by 9L. Here he’s down to 106 and I think that could be a winning mark. I really would like him to be very prominent, if not making it.

Yesterday was a hard one to take but as you say, Chaumi, that's the game. To quote the song: pick yourself up, dust yourself down and start all over again.

And the sun's shining 🌞

Goose was cooked at the start?

“Upon leaving the stalls PRINCESS SHABNAM (IRE), unplaced, jumped right-handed giving a bump to SANDY PARADISE (IRE), placed fifth, causing the gelding to turn the quarters of METABOLT, placed fourth. After viewing a recording of the incident, it was found that no riding offence was involved.”

Goose was cooked at the start?

“Upon leaving the stalls PRINCESS SHABNAM (IRE), unplaced, jumped right-handed giving a bump to SANDY PARADISE (IRE), placed fifth, causing the gelding to turn the quarters of METABOLT, placed fourth. After viewing a recording of the incident, it was found that no riding offence was involved.”
I've looked at the start multiple times but can't see that there was a massive swerving going on, BJ

Just watched it back & he also got boxed turning in, and didn't persevere afterwards.
(16:45 | Chester | Wednesday 8th May 2024 | At The Raceview confirmed by sectionals).
Well, not really 'boxed in', imo. I don't understand how it's 'confirmed by the sectionals', Reet. It's not something I've ever looked at. Do you mean as seen on ATR,? If so, I've just looked at the sectionals and can't see what you mean. When I look at them, how is it confirmed?

What I would say is that he raced keenly but then he would since he's normally either making the running or prominent.

Well, not really 'boxed in', imo. I don't understand how it's 'confirmed by the sectionals', Reet. It's not something I've ever looked at. Do you mean as seen on ATR,? If so, I've just looked at the sectionals and can't see what you mean. When I look at them, how is it confirmed?

What I would say is that he raced keenly but then he would since he's normally either making the running or prominent.

On ATR, sectional tools,you will see where the blue line separates from the yellow.
Hover over these points and you shoulg get a distance figure where they split abd rejoin.

Sorry Reet, I did what you said but I don't understand how it shows that inference has taken place. am I being dim? I see the two lines separate but I haven't a clue what 'Energy distribution' and 'Optimal energy distribution' means.

You don't need to know,just watch them convergin turning in,and follow the blue line from that point.

Sorry Reet, I did what you said but I don't understand how it shows that inference has taken place. am I being dim? I see the two lines separate but I haven't a clue what 'Energy distribution' and 'Optimal energy distribution' means.
Optimal means when a horse is travelling at the most efficient for that C/D.
Energy distribution is considered the ideal eg; the yellow line.
Neither really work in practice,without taking account of what happened in the actual race.

Back