Thursday 25th April 2024

yorick

Apprentice
Not much to report on a quiet racing day for me. I’ll be replaying the Beverley card to glean whatever I can in terms of notebook entries but the NH cards aren't exactly tipping me into the realms of excitement, let me say.

Yesterday’s highlight was, naturally, Apple Away, who won comfortably at Perth after her usual round of fine jumping. We’ll have to see how the handicapper reacts to that and I imagine she’ll be turned out for her summer rest now. I’m relishing seeing what she does as a second-season chaser.
My other two selections were not good: Hurricane PU and the other, Fancy Stuff, given a ride where all the jockey needed was a tourist guide to the local scenic attractions as he blithely cantered around at the back, only to make some sort of Stewards-worthy effort when, really, he'd left himself too much to do. In fact, so token was his ride, it's small wonder that the stewards didn't ask for an explanation but ho hum. Only an opinion, of course but I shall expect them to put him back over fences with a more experienced pilot up. It's possible the horse might appreciate a little more juice in the ground, I suppose.

Today gives us in Norwich a slightly lighter shade of grey to ally with our old northeasterly chum: quite a formidable duo, that. Too early for my mankini, that's for sure. Steering away from that deeply disturbing thought, my alerts have notified that one of mine runs today and I shall have the merest whiff of a bet on him:

Equinus – 4.20 Warwick 13/2 Ew

I don’t suppose I was the only one who noted his run in February when third to Emitom at Newbury nor the only one disappointed with her next run over this course when favourite a month later: a distant fourth beaten over 40L.

Perhaps chasing will be the game; it certainly appears that way according to her trainer:

Equinus is a smashing horse who has taken a long time to mature and three miles looks the making of him. He didn't jump that brilliantly - he jumps hurdles like fences and that will be his future’ - Nigel Twiston-Davies, trainer.

It may be that they’ll put into novice chases next term and if that is the case a farewell win over hurdles would be nice, wouldn’t it. Certainly, seeing that they applied the visor today, it could be that they’ll be on the go with this one. Although, maybe, not one to trust with any confidence, he’ll be having a sip of my cash to help him along.

Last edited:
Back