The Gardening Thread

simmo

Senior Jockey
Up here in the northernmost reaches of the UK, we are about a month behind our soft southern cousins in gardening terms, so I'm delighted that I'm finally able to bring the bedding plants and my dahlias out for the summer today.

Some of tulips that took a while to come through are finally blooming and that most joyous of sights, my cytisus buds that have been closed up and munched upon by the birds for a good fortnight now, have decided that today is the day and a massive flush of colour and perfume is the result.

The wood pigeons are devastating the buds on both the cherry tree and honeysuckle.

I've netted the honeysuckle to give the developing blooms a chance but left the cherry to the pigeons.

At lest we've had a couple of days of proper sunshine.

Planted some basil seeds which, I see, are poking through. Not much luck, so far, with the marigold seeds, though.

I love the month of May dearly.

My "gardening" amounts to monthly strimming during British Summer Time, an activity that allows me to delude myself I'm a gardener at irregular intervals.

I must kinda enjoy it - even though it only takes a few minutes - otherwise I wouldn't do it.

Sitting afterwards on a garden chair, surveying my work, while enjoying a cold, soft (I don't drink) beverage is the best part tbh.

Mrs sunshine just planted our bizzie lizzies, they look absolutely marvelous. Its a joy to behold.🌹🌹🌹🌹

I'm at the fairly latter stages of a complete construction out of nothing. Been at it (nearly) every day for the last 2 months, interspersed with bets and races ofc! Need to go to Wickes and get some more sand/cement, point up this morning's 3 courses, lay a couple more and the back wall is done. For anyone wanting a laugh at 'somewhat less than perfect' bricklaying skills, I'll take some pics later :)

And I might go from Wickes to the arboretum/garden centre and get another miniature Yew. Although I'm banned by you know who from buying any more plants!

I have my three yews in the centre of the garden as I have livestock on the borders and they are thriving for a slightly dull northern aspect.

The wall is obviously the main event but as an aperitif here is a pic of my betting chamber posters.

Attachments

• poters.png
    poters.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Certainly, just as soon as I've worked out how to do that! Nice show from the primroses underneath and if anyone wants any sage....

IMG_20240510_152529886.jpg

My Dad loved his garden, probably equally as much as he loved horse racing. He used to sit for hours just taking it in. He'd get home from work in the summer, and go lay down next to the fishpond (a rectangular hole in the ground left by an old air raid shelter we found when digging one day shortly after we moved to the house - we excavated it, filled it, stuck goldfish in and the occasional stickleback from the local canal), soaking up the late afternoon sun.

Even shortly after his first heart attack, I remember seeing him out there banging in fence posts.

We (the 3 brothers and I, and all the kids in the street) had no garden interest, ofc. Other than to be out there playing football pretending to be Steve Heighway, Stan Bowles, or Rodney Marsh. Breaking the garage window (numerous times), greenhouse panes, and the odd branch on one of Dad's plants.

Anyway, when Dad passed, the mantle of 'gardener' passed to me (as the eldest). I had to learn what the plants were, water in summer, mow the lawn, tidy up in autumn, and generally keep it in the way he'd have liked.

There were peonies he'd planted, ferns, perennial geraniums, an aged Laburnum and Ornamental Cherry in the front. Various other perennials and shrubs like Hydrangeas. Snowdrops towards the end of winter, crocuses, and daffodils all marking the arrival of spring each year.

I learned what started to appear and when, when it was at it's best, and when best was over and it was time for the next plants to flourish and flower.

So that, ofc, created an emotional attachment with gardens and plants that solidified and grew over the years, and with each successive garden of my own (now numbering 5, I think).

When Mum sold that house, I took clumps of the Geraniums and the ferns, some of the bulbs. Seeds from the Laburnum. They've all made an appearance from the original stock in each 'new' garden.

I'd like to think Dad approved. Each one has a bit of him in it. It was all for him. As the years have passed, I've realised it wasn't just for him, but for me, too. Both of us combined. A kind of faint or abstract sense of permanence. An endurance of spirit that arguably - in the grand scheme of all things - means nothing, but at the same time means everything.

I think that over time, I've come to see a garden as a piece of art. A permanently changing piece of art, all be it on the backdrop of a (likely) permanent core structure. I'd say I have zero artistic qualities (as in the 'normally' accepted sense of artists and their art), so maybe this is the one thing where Chaumi's 'art' will endure.

When I'm gone, maybe one of my sons or daughter will be writing something similar 50 years from now.

I hate gardening with a passion.

It probably goes back to my childhood. Our council semi sat on a steep hill with sloping gardens to the front and rear. In the early days, because of the slopes and us not having a lawn mower the gardens were rock beds with flowers and plants with a flattish grassed drying area at the top of the back garden.

We were made to weed regularly and I hated it. Eventually my father cleared it all and turfed it, by which time we hand an old manual lawn mower but my father got to use that to mow the flat part.

The rest of us were given a set of shears and made to cut the slopes which were divvied up into probably two-yard squares and we had to do it all that way. Blistered palms and fingers were normal in the summer with the grass needing cut every week.

It was several years before we got a Flymo but those years weeding and cutting with shears still haunt me.

I love that post, chaumi.

Also, Steve Heighway was my favourite player when I was a mere nipper. (y)
I loved reading that too, and funnily enough my Dad was a Liverpool fan and a big Steve Heighway fan - he took me to Anfield in 1972 (I was nine) to see them thump Sheff Utd five-nil in a League game.

Loving your gardening stories of both types. I used to hate gardening until I bought my first detached house, at which point I slowly grew interested.

Still dislike cutting the grass, always look forward to October when I can stop for a few months, but the rest of the garden I find very therapeutic - from admiring my work, to watching stuff grow and then flowering.

My parents were/are qualified garden designers and know far far more than I ever will about it, but one good tip I've taken from my mum is to try and have a variety of flowers so that you have colour all year round.

For the last few years a fine Slovak called Patrik does my garden for me, charging a very reasonable rate.

He strims, mows, collects the cuttings and takes them away and clears the paths.

If anything else is needing done he's more than happy to oblige, so scarifying feed/weed etc are all taken care of.

My Dad was a Liverpool fan and a big Steve Heighway fan - he took me to Anfield in 1972 (I was nine) to see them thump Sheff Utd five-nil in a League game.
Liverpool was the team around that time, if memory serves me correctly. Although I think Leeds had a bit of a name, too. We'd all moved house from Shepherds Bush, 5 mins walk from QPR's Loftus Road ground. Hence the Stanley and Rodney references. But I can actually remember slotting a shot inside the makeshift 'two jumpers 7 feet apart' goal and exclaiming as excitedly as an 11 or 12-year-old would do in a mock commentator style 'and Heighway puts Liverpool 1-0 up!'

Anfield would have been packed to the rafters in those days, with standing on the terraces where you moved side to side with the crowd - go left go left go left go left go left go left go right. Haha, maybe that was just a Loftus Road thing, I don't know. Must have been some experience and atmosphere for a nine-year-old to taste!

Back