Sea The Stars 8/1
Rip Van Winkle: 12/1
Kite Wood: 16/1
Black Bear Island: 20/1
Fame And Glory: 16/1
Age Of Aquarius (well backed today): 20/1
Freemantle: 20/1
Masterofthehorse: 20/1

Sea The Stars was reported to have a set back recently but the horse was very forward having been in and kept on the go for a long time now so he still could make the Guineas. What chances of him getting the Derby trip....half brother to Galileo by Cape Cross should be ok?

I have backed Freemantle at big prices last season but (as you would expect) its wide open at this stage.

You'd think he'd be fine - Ouija Board had no problem with the 12f and it's fair to say he's more stoutly bred.

Fancy Black Bear Island and had a whisper for Sirgarfieldsobers too.

Can someone please remind me of the name of the Queen's colt with Richard Hannon
Won at Royal Ascot - my mind's gone blank, I'm still in NH mode!

Thanks Rory, that's the one.

Euro, Hannon is known for getting the best out of speedy 2yr olds. But I have it from the horse's mouth, so to speak, that he would dearly love to win the Derby before he retires, if only he had an owner sympathetic to the venture

Malt or Mash wasn't bad a couple of seasons ago. I can't remember if Hannon has ever won a Group race with anything that lasts over a mile

Last edited:
Nysaean was ok, stayed 10f at least , won a few Group 3s and got placed in a (poorish) Group 1, but I'd guess it's a small club.

Thanks Rory, that's the one.
Malt or Mash wasn't bad a couple of seasons ago. I can't remember if Hannon has ever won a Group race with anything that lasts over a mile

Bloody hell, Heads...he won the Winter Derby today :lol:

What's obvious Warbs? - did RH win the Derby early in his career - if so I missed it LOL I lived aborad a lot in the 70s and 80s... RH told me that about three years ago! I don't remember him winning it since!!

Good for him anyway winning the winter Derby yesterday. Richard Jnr was in full flow in The Pheasant later! It's great the way he and Richard Snr work so well together - they really do get the very best out of their horses

I would imagine the comment would "dearly love to win the derby before they retire" applies to just about any trainer you could care to mention? Not really sure I'd need that from the horses mouth, I reckon I could guess it to about 95% accuracy. I'd be interested if there's any trainer who wouldn't want to win it, if given the choice?

I'm sorry, it just amused me, as I read it like an exercise in stating the blindingly obvious

Last edited:
Not at all, some trainers know what they are good at, and don't try to buck their own trends so to speak. Hannon is known, quite rightly but almost exclusively, as a superb trainer of 2yr olds. If he states a wish to win the Derby before he retires, and felt (at time of speaking) he didn't have an owner who would support that plan as "all they want is early speed" then I for one think it's worth noting that he now does have an owner with a potential winner who will support the plan - ie, the Queen!

If Hannon says he wants to win a certain race, you can bet he will go for it. And when he wants something, he usually gets it. He is one of the most competitive men I've ever met.

So, Hannon wants to win the Derby, then that will happen?!

What about the other few hundred trainers who also want to win the Derby? :)

Last edited:
I'm sure you know exactly what I mean, Hamm LOL

Of course every trainer wants to win the Derby - but it's only a SERIOUS PROPOSITION for a very few of them. I really should not have to spell it out...

Gal, click "rules" and scroll down :

Market suspensions:
  1. 12pm, 7th April - Final Entry Stage
  2. 12pm, 22nd May - Forfeit Stage
  3. 12pm, 1st June - Confirmation of Entries

Back