Team of the Tournament

------------Ochoa------------

Lahm-----Vlaar----Kompany-----Rodriguez

---------Mascherano-------Vidal-----

----Robben-----Schweinsteiger---James R

-------------Messi--------------------

That defence sums up how poor the defending was throughout the tournament.

Made for what was perceived as an exciting World Cup with plenty of goals, would have been a lot more except for some decent keeping.

I thought Boateng was absolutely amazing in the final.

I thought Costa Rica, Argentina and Holland were very good in defence.

Kompany, Euro? Really?

Although I am one to talk. Up until the Germany game, David Luiz was in my team of the tournament.

Kompany was solid as usual although he did balls up for Higuain's goal. I wasn't convinced by any Argie defenders as their excellence in that department was virtually wholly down to Mascherano.

I wanted to include a Chilean defender but couldn't remember any names.

Last edited:
Kompany was ordinary, as I think he usually is. He's a spectacular defender, imho, not a good one and this gets him praise.

Most overlooked player in this tourney is Italian wing-back Darmian. No idea who he is or who be plays for, but he was one of the most impressive players (imo) in the Group Stage.

I didn't know you were a dirty blue archie.
The family team - grandad was from Longsight and dad saw them at Hyde Road. I was born in Hyde and my first (and home town) team is Stockport but I was at uni in Manchester in the late 60s and took full advantage of Friday night football in Edgeley and Maine Road on a Saturday.
The team of the tournament selection is obviously a joke (although I think they'd probably beat any national side) but, when it comes to making a difference, Yaya was clearly player of the season in the PL.

Last edited:
Couldnt give a monkeys about the teams or the football really

best thing was that WC and BBC coverage reminded me what a brilliant track Stevie Wonder's Another Star is

What did you miss most from club football Clive? The absense of sponsors on the tops, the crippling ticket prices or the ugly crowds?

Back