Statto thread

archie

Senior Jockey
9 draws in the first 48 matches. I'd have thought that that was, statistically a little low.

136 goals in 48 matches. If that rate continues there will be 181 in total. Oddschecker has 2 options on total goals with the high 170s favourite on individual numbers and 177.5 the break on the high/low. I'd have thought that the knock-out stages might be cagier and I'd be looking at a lower final total.

In the last 16, the Confederation breakdown is:
Europe - 6 qualifiers from 13
South America - 5 from 6
Concacaf - 3 from 4
Africa - 2 from 5
Asia - 0 from 4
Essentially, Asia under-achieved and Concacaf over-achieved.

18 goals in the first 8 games of the knockout. 175 now favourite as the final total. Could still be a little high.

4-4 split in the quarters then for Europe v South America, long odds on it will be a 2-2 split at worst for the Europeans in the semis. Not quite as dominant as the last 2 tournaments in The Americas (3-1 in the semis 1994 and '86) but should be enough to at least make people think about the fallacy that European teams don't perform over there.

The draw put 4 South American teams in the same quarter. A quick, and possibly inaccurate, reckoning shows 9 matches so far between European and South American countries. SA 6 Europe 2 with 1 draw.

Back