Saturday 13th April 2024

yorick

Apprentice
The last day of the festival and some lovely racing in store for Saturday.

Here in Norwich there's been a real touch of spring in the air which is fitting for Grand National day, isn't it? My step feels somewhat lighter and I shall look forward to the day's sport with some welcome optimism, no matter what the results of my marathon form study.

I shall combine four in a L15 for the day to kick off proceedings, one at Chepstow and three at Aintree:

Black Bamboo 1.20 Aintree
A tricky handicap, for sure, but I think this one may be worth it at the price.

King Of Ryhope 2.30 Aintree
This fellow jumped off the page at me and I was tempted to make it a major bet for the day but that has been dampened slightly because I'm not absolutely sure the soft ground will be ideal

Hiddenvalleylake 3.05
This gelding's only raced six times under rules and after an aborted season last term, I'm hoping that he's beginning to find his racing shoes after his nice win at Navan in February on the heavy. It could be that he's improving and may find even more stepping up in trip.

Rouge De L'Quest 2.15 Chepstow
Jumps beautifully and after obliging for me last time out with ease, he has a decent chance of following up even though raised to class4. He's lightly raced enough to give hope of improvement now he's got his head in front.

I'll do that four in an Ew L15

My two main bets of the day will be:

Military Tycoon 4.40 Chepstow 10/1 Ew

I've been waiting for this one to go handicapping. He's had four novice runs and this is his first handicap. He won for me on the flat at Salisbury over 1m 6f on the soft so this seems an ideal opportunity to open his account. I see that Rebecca Curtis also has a handicap debutante running too (River Voyage) and I notice her hurdlers at the course show a profit of £37+ which looks ominous but shan't be swayed and I hope that that one will be seen to better effect over 3m.

Etalon 5.00 Aintree 6/1 Ew

I wrote this after his first chase victory at Newbury:

20/12/23 Newbury Handicap Chase (Class 3) 2m½f Soft 13 fences
Make no mistake: this is a good horse. The way he travelled and jumped here was notice of much better than this C3 handicap. Good time, too. On a couple of occasions, he put in absolutely eye-catching leaps without being “showy”.
Probably will go up to 130 for this but so what?

The stable is flying and I'm looking forward to seeing him race here with eager anticipation.

2 x singles
Ew Double

Lastly, the Grand National Chase.

My main bet is:

Mr Incredible 12/1 Ew

He was going well enough behind the leaders in last year's race before his saddle slipped after jumping the 24th, the Canal Turn, causing him to unship the jockey. The horse ran a corker last time out in the Midlands National but I'm sure that this race has been the target. He has a lovely weight, has jumped the course well and goes in the soft. What's more, can you imagine the commentator screaming, as the horse crosses the line in first place "Mr Incredible IS Iincredible!!!!"

Stattler 50/1 Ew had been a long-term fancy but the owner has expressed doubts publicly about him handling the going and Stattler may yet be withdrawn. If he stays in, I shall have a bet on him anyway and hope.

I shall have another two at long odds (Four selections?!?! I know, but it is the National lol) in the shape of Galia Des Liteux 25/1 Ew and Chambard 66/1 Ew

So that's it. A bumper Saturday, which normally spells disaster, but hey, who cares?

It's spring.

Good luck

Back