Monday 22nd April 2024

yorick

Apprentice
I’ve spent the last few days with extended family in Yorkshire, welcomed by beautiful scenery and lousy weather. My bloggery was severely curtailed since I have no laptop and, if I was going to write anything, it was to be written on my phone. I have to say that I find the phone experience frustrating and inadequate both in terms of typing at length and, worse, any kind of form study: as much use as a one-legged man at an arse-kicking party, for me. I’m back home now so at least I can study and write with more facility: a relief, sure, although I wouldn’t expect my journey towards finding winners to be greatly enhanced by my rediscovered PC: that’s personal computer, not police constable. If it was the latter, I’m sure he’d laughing his constabulary- issue socks off at my feeble attempts after Saturday’s show.

The Scottish Grand National proved fruitless for me on Saturday but I shouldn’t feel too aggrieved by the performance. Mr Vango did what I wanted him to do by taking them along and although, naturally, it was a shame that he dropped out, it may be that the ground had dried up too much for him. Those who rail against horseracing on the grounds that it coerces horses to do what they don’t want seem to have met their match with Mr Incredible who proves that if a horse doesn’t want to do it, they won’t do it. He just downed tools. Ho hum. To confirm my wobbly sights, Stay Away Fay ran no race whatsoever and was found to ‘scope dirty’ after the race. Altogether, the day was a damp squib for me but I shouldn’t grumble; the sport was good, wasn’t it?

So, back to the everyday fare as we enter another week. As I’ve written before, there won’t be much cooking in the Yorick kitchen over the next few weeks. I shall tip my hat to any notebook runners, in a small-stakes way, and maybe add a few flatties that I have an early-season inkling for but the work now is watching and building my flat notebook.

I have three horses that I’ve made note of over the NH season who go tomorrow. As mentioned, I’ll take a small interest and will share them with anyone who might care to look at the races but they wouldn’t be carrying much of my money in in their saddlecloths.

Rouge De L’Quest (3.42 Ffos las) was a little unlucky not to win the last day but, in truth, his jumping was a disappointment and so I’m not sure I’d want to bet on the gelding tomorrow, especially at a cramped 3/1. He’s up another 4Lbs and upped further to Cl3 class. So, even returning to the c/d of his last win (when he jumped very well) wouldn’t tempt. If someone put a gun to my head, I would rather have a look at Animal Ew at 15/2. Even then, it’s possible that he might prefer a right-handed course. Still, I think going, distance and the profile of his form make him of some interest.

I might also be drawn to Frere D’Armes (Kempton 6.00). He’s c/d winner on good ground and certainly has ability. If you look at his win over Aucunrisque at Newbury, he put in a fantastic time that day. I notice that they leave all aids off here: no tongue-tie or pieces. He’s now close enough to his last winning mark, has the course, ground and going to his advantage and I see this as a drop in class compared to the company he’s been keeping.

I made a note of Karl Phillipe (Kempton 6.30) after his Newbury run earlier on in the season. It’s not a given that he’ll stay the distance but hat Newbury run was a fast-paced event and he was surrounded by horses that lead me to believe that this race represents a drop in class. Yes, he blew out in his last race but I think he may have needed that and the recent wind op may be in his favour here. The 20/1 does look tempting Ew. Only for scraps, mind.

Back