Guineas

Tamfana a bit unlucky?

Rather! If there’s one to take out of the race it’s got to be her and she was the only single digit draw in the first six. Couldn’t find a clear run and was eventually switched right over to the near side a couple out and finished like a train fastest of all.

I've had another look at the race with a hypothetical bet on Tamfana to see if I felt robbed and I can see why it can be considered unlucky but I suspect the sectionals will still point to Rematuelle as the best filly in the race as she was up with the pace, which was probably on the fast side, and probably kicked half a furlong too soon, otherwise she'd have won by a length or two.

It also looks like Elmalka was the only runner to break 36s for the final three furlongs.

(Which none of yesterday's field managed.)

Screenshot (88).png

Last edited:
Tamfana a bit unlucky?

Tamfana, half-a-length behind Ramatuelle when prepping in France, did well to finish this close considering the trouble she met and she probably would have won with a clear run. She'll reportedly step up in trip for the French Oaks (1m2.5f; also in the Oaks at Epsom, for which she's into 8-1) and she isn't in at Royal Ascot, but she's not short on gears.RP

“would have won” might be a tad optimistic, but certainly a lot closer.

I tried to back City of Troy 200 @8/1 for the Derby......they offered me a weird 142 @7/1..accountants or what?

Thank gawd we have Betfair exchange these bookies are a joke

After my initial bet on City Of Troy I have been dabbling on the exchange at various prices and finally settled at an average of 11/2.

I decided to go in again because what we saw at Newmarket was too bad to be true. Had he been beaten a lengthen or two I would have thought fair enough and washed my hands of him. However this horse was being compared to Frankel and not many were heard disputing it.. Aiden may blame himself I put it down to one of those days that simply can't be explained and he is wrong blaming himself. Horse is way to good not to bounce back..hopefully the trip will suit and it will be at Epsom

I can't say I was ever comparing City Of Troy with Frankel - similarly every year this "we all thought...." (RP are particularly bad for it) stuff is mildly irritating as I invariably never thought what everyone supposedly thought.

As it happens, I did have double-digit odds City Of Troy for the Classics, but while he was top 2yo on my private numbers he wasn't as far clear as commercial ratings organisations seemed to think.

Juvenile form doesn't mean "Jack" in The Derby, anyway, I'd rather side with a progressive 3yo who's shown he's trained on and stays middle distances.

Auguste Rodin was the exception, not the rule, and anyway he was a Deep Impact out of a Galileo mare and not a Justify.

Last edited:
I thought it was the most impressive victory in a Lingfield Derby Trial since Slip Anchor in 1985.

They went a decent pace and he's absolutely stormed clear to win in a cracking time.

That's a proper Group 1 1m4f colt in my book and he's clearly progressive too.

Deserves to be favourite IMO.

We can't possibly take the Lingfield Derby form seriously as Illinois has been a huge disappointment again.

A good time for sure but nothing better than you would expect from Group horses.

Ambient Friendy's form prior to the try was downright ordinary and overall the race looks a very ordinary trial well short of what is required to win a Derby.

I might be wrong about City of Troy but comparing Ambient Friendy to Slip Anchor that is some stretch. I recon his odds will double by Derby day

Best one I’ve seen sadly was Hidden Lake. I backed him at 16s when I watched his previous races. Really strongly fancied him for it...for a nanosecond until tragedy struck.

Back