Guineas

£20,214.28 matched since yesterday on City Of Troy now 1.8 I knew you couldn't hold back forever Luke :lol:

Last edited:
Someone out there doesn't fancy him and went 1.85 last night.........I thought to hell with it and backed him back into 1.80.

Case of Que Sera now as I have reached the limit of what I am prepared to lose.

I am fortunate enough to be on City Of Troy at double-digit odds, but he's not the biggest and though progeny of Justify (never raced at two, USA Triple Crown winner at three) should be moral certainties to improve with age the recent defeats of Ramatuelle in France and Just F Y I in the USA give me minor cause for concern.

And how can Rosallion be 5/1 when the colt is by the sprinter Blue Point and he has never raced a yard beyond 7f yet?

Poor old Haatam clocks the fastest time I can ever remember for a Craven (ok, he was being propelled by a strong tailwind) beats the runner up by only a length less than City Of Troy did in the Dewhurst yet even Hastam's trainer doesn't think he has any chance in the 2,000 Guineas.

I've seen worse 33/1 chances for Classics - so I organised taking it with the William Hill Organisation.

Last edited:
The First 4 in that Guinea's were all genuine Group 1 horses.El Gran Senor was my favourite racehorse at the time but for versatility you have got to admire Chief Singer.
IMHO the best guineas of all time. El gran senor is hugely underrated due to his Derby defeat. Could quicken then quicken again and still going at the line. Chief singer just a machine.

I was at Newmarket that day in 1984 (being a uni student who was as tight with money then as I am now I "roughed it," sleeping on the gallops having arrived on Friday night).

I thought El Gran Senor was in the paddock as fit a racehorse as I had ever seen in my life - Vincent O'Brien certainly knew his job.

And in the race he quickened to nail Lear Fan, quickened again to repel the late challenge of Chief Singer and was amazingly back on the bridle by the line.

Whether it matched Brigadier Gerard beating Mill Reef and My Swallow in 1971, I doubt, but it was certainly an exceptional renewal.

El Gran Senor wasn't anywhere near as brilliant at 1m4f (though I believe had he, not Pat Eddery, ridden him Lester Piggott would have delivered him late and fast to win as he audaciously had done on Sir Ivor) but El Gran Senor, who did beat Rainbow Quest in a slowly-run irish Derby subsequently, remains one of my all-time favourite horses.

I just had a look at this horse of Aiden O'Briens for the first time. Didn't really pay much attention last year.

This is the problem with you ex pats in Thailand :p, you take the eye off the ball :)This is a monster of an animal according to my spreadsheet:). Hope you are ok Tanlic. I hope this one wasn't just a truly brilliant 2yo. We are in for a treat I hope, well, bar Grassy and Granger who have not the finesse to understand flat racing. The rough NH loving sods:p. Chief Singer was an exceptional horse as said here, as was El Gran Senor obviously. Great times from the past.

Last edited:
Definitely a lack of interest in flat racing causes me to miss out at times but when one comes along that is special in my eyes I don't miss them Zarkava and Zenyatta I backed before most punters knew how good they were and Flightline I backed in a double with Constitution Hill at a price weeks later punters would have died for.

I simply got a thing for superstars and when the opportunity arises I try not to miss it.

What I have done this time round is uploaded a large amount of sheckles and backed City of Troy for the 2000 Guineas.

If he wins I will take out the amount I uploaded and the winnings I will put on Constitution Hill who I already backed several times for the 2025 Champion Hurdle.

Similar thing happened in the Guineas meeting a couple of years back, not so much the front end thing, wasn't a boffo tailwind, but the advantage of being far side(ish). I'll be going over the 3yo handicaps with a fine tooth comb early next week and I expect a lot of trackers will come from the meeting.
Same thing happened last year,when Chaldean nicked rhe race,aided bythe steady pace.

From RP:
City Of Troy
has continued to impress Aidan O'Brien and "hasn't put a foot wrong" in his preparation for the Qipco 2,000 Guineas on Saturday week, the first leg of what could be an audacious Triple Crown bid for last season's champion European juvenile.

O'Brien has never hidden his admiration for City Of Troy or made any secret of the fact he feels he is different to anything he has trained before, and the much-hyped son of Justify will do his final piece of serious work later this week in what is a crunch couple of days with a view to having him cherry ripe for Newmarket. AOB

Couldn't find the longshot thread so putting this here.

I've taken 66/1 Bucanero Fuerte for the 2kG. It's second-top on ORs and high up on RPRs. I'm half-assuming the price is due to info that it won't run but it looks bred for the trip and in theory might only have COT to worry about. I just thought the price was totally wrong.

Couldn't find the longshot thread so putting this here.

I've taken 66/1 Bucanero Fuerte for the 2kG. It's second-top on ORs and high up on RPRs. I'm half-assuming the price is due to info that it won't run but it looks bred for the trip and in theory might only have COT to worry about. I just thought the price was totally wrong.
He doesn't run - they're campaigning him as a sprinter.

I"ve been waiting to see some money coming for Ghostwriter again for the Guineas. Prices coming down given a positive piece in the Racing Post. Gone in again !!
A fairly quiet Cheltenham has enabled me to keep funds aside for what for me is a sizeable punt nowadays.

Had a little ew on Notable Speech in the Guineas: chuffed to see he's William Buick's ride and down to 10/1.
All he needs to do now is make first 3.:)

I took 33/1 Inisherin the other day after reading Simon Rowlands's latest piece.

Still in it and still 33/1 but is for the same owner as Rosallion so not over-hopeful that it will turn up. It's Kevin Ryan's only runner and he tends not to treat his geese as swans.

It is also worth dwelling on the performance of Kalpana (my Horse To Follow for the season) in winning a 10f handicap later on that Newmarket Wednesday card by 10 lengths, not just because of what it said about her but for what it possibly said about the horse who beat her at Newcastle the time before, Inisherin...

Kalpana’s win was a slightly odd one sectionally, in that she ran efficiently (24.77s final 2f, 99.5% finishing speed) but everything else in the race came home slowly/inefficiently.

Nonetheless, she has to be worth a rating in the mid-to-high 90s, and yet Inisherin had beaten her hands down at Newcastle, where he ran the fastest late splits at any trip at the course this season.

There is a decent chance that Inisherin is a serious operator...

Just thinking about this again, I wonder if Saturday is about getting the horse a mark around 100 (it doesn't have one yet) with the Britannia in mind rather than busting a gut trying to get to grips with the hotpot.

Given they took City Of Troy out of the National Stakes due to Soft ground, I doubt they much want to see that word in the going description.

They have said they will take everything else out this morning - I just wonder if they might leave National Stakes winner Henry Longfellow in as a precaution.

Thank you for this - it was still Good to Soft yesterday, but it seems they've dodged the rain and it's drying out.

Final Declarations​

Alyanaabi Jim Crowley
City Of Troy Ryan Moore
Ghostwriter Richard Kingscote
Haatem James Doyle
Iberian Tom Marquand
Inisherin Tom Eaves
Night Raider Danny Tudhope
Notable Speech William Buick
Rosallion Sean Levey
Task Force Rossa Ryan
Ten Bob Tony Saffie Osborne

I took 33/1 Inisherin the other day after reading Simon Rowlands's latest piece.

Still in it and still 33/1 but is for the same owner as Rosallion so not over-hopeful that it will turn up. It's Kevin Ryan's only runner and he tends not to treat his geese as swans.

Sill in at the final decs. Hopeful of a good run but no more than that, to be honest.

Back