Grundy and Bustino

barjon

Conditional
Still in Madeira with no betting šŸ˜­, but popped in a couple of times to see what the new site looked like - very impressive.

Iā€™ve been trying to get the flat notebook started and on the jumps front I donā€™t think I missed much except for Brighterdaysahead I was all over her for Cheltenham and thought Jack Kennedy gave her a complacent ride and got got caught out (although Golden Ace has won again since). She was my biggest bet of the meeting and I wanted my money back, unfortunately she gave it back without me at Aintree.

Anyway, itā€™s all really been down memory lane whilst lounging in the sun. I have seen some tremendous races over the years, but none to top the Grundy/Bustino batlle in the 1975 King George. Bustino had won the St Leger the year before and his camp sought to run the finish out of Grundy who had won the Derby and the Irish Derby. The pacemakers set a fearsome pace - the race was the fastest King George ever run until after they reconfigured the course in 2006 - and Bustino took the lead in the straight with Grundy inching forward to join him with little over a furlong to go. Grundy moved ahead, but Bustino fought back and they went nose to nose to the line where Grundy shaved it. It was a titanic battle and rightly headlined as the ā€œrace of the centuryā€. Bustino had seemed to falter very slightly just before the line and Joe Mercer said later that he had changed legs and he knew he was beaten.

I was on Bustino and not directly in line with the winning post, so I couldnā€™t see who had won. It didnā€™t matter, though, because like everyone else it was the sinew straining battle I was watching that was all that mattered. Both horses gave more than their all and it finished them. Bustino never ran again and Grundy only a ā€œdown the fieldā€ once. Wonderful - even though it was a flat race!

Last edited:
Brighterdaysahead was one of my banker bets at Cheltenham and I was lucky enough to recoup most of the losses.

Not sure what will happen if she clashes with golden Ace again but I don't think Cheltenham was a fluke. Golden Ace might just be extra extra special

I was with Grundy all the way and wouldn't hear of him losing........rose coloured glasses had a lot to do with it.

Grundy v Bustino was rightly called the race of the century, they smashed the course record by over 2 1/2 seconds. Well, they went that fast that even that year's arc winner was tailed off in the race!! Then I went to York to watch Grundy for the first time in the B&H. Such a sad day.

(I was on Grundy, I'd followed him since word was that he was catching pigeons before he'd ever set foot on a racecourse).

Back