Friday 10th May 2024

yorick

Apprentice
Thanks for taking the trouble to explain, Reet. Reading form and race - watching opinions are what make the game so fascinating us, to be sure.

In my opinion, I think they were looking for another day with this one. The jockey made racing line decisions which I thought were interesting for instance, why he decided to take his horse behind the others on the home run rather than take the outside line. We'll see, eh?

Apropos yesterday, Cottie wasn't good enough on the day. No complaints. The jock did what I would've wanted him to do. Fair go's, as the Aussies say. I'm glad they took Military Tycoon out and it just goes to show that they want to make absolutely sure before they release him onto the handicap stage.

Some lovely racing today but only two from my alerts.

Boardman – Chester 1.30 8/1 Ew

My note after his last run:

This is a good ground horse who loves Chester and who ran in this race last year. Will probably take the same route again this season. Held up out the back here on heavy ground, there was quiet progress made in the last 2f under hands and heels which augurs well for another tilt at one of the Chester spring races on good ground now below LWR. Promising.

Like you, OS, I worry that he maybe being aimed at the race later in the month but that’s worth only 5K more and I’ll take a chance that they’re up for it today.

Swinging London – Chester 5.23 12/1 Ew

Here’s one I also noted last time out and my note was:
Was held up out the back and looked to travelling well enough. It looked like they were ready to mount a serious challenge 2f out but every time they found room, they were stopped again. By the time they got going, the race had gone but this one can add to their only ever win either over jumps (prob 2.5M) or on the flat, AW or soft turf

You’ll notice that there’s a going proviso in there but I wouldn’t be adamant about that; he’s run some nice races on good ground.

2 x Singles
Ew Double

In the two staying races I’ll be plumping for Grand Providence in the Chester Cup and in the other I like the look of Law Of The Sea, both Ew. Small bets and certainly not ones I’d put up with confidence in what are tricky handicaps.

Good luck..

Last edited:
I looked at Boardman as well. He's undoubtedly on a winning mark again but last year it took him a few runs to get going. Worth a go at the price. All my bets are at Ascot today, couple of trackers that are short now relative to their opening odds. American Bay in the opener was 10/1 when 365 opened the market. Also like Teraabb in the 4.35

Noting appealed to me at this early stage of the season At Ascot, E.

It's still so early, isn't it and the season, I feel, hasn't settled down

We keep our fingers crossed for Boardman.🫰

Good luck

Back