Euro 2016 thread

You probably think England's is an acceptable level of performance Clive. I don't

If you want to carry on making excuses for the precious prima donnas, then by all means do so. To be honest though, the gullible public would be doing them a favour if they focused their ire on the players and let them know it's not good enough, and if that means weeding out some of the men from the babies, then fair enough. You won't win major tournaments with players who fold under pressure. That simple.

England have put together a decade of under performance now. The resevoir of excuses is running dry. Why is it always someone else's fault but the players? Try answering that, and you'll be halfway there

Last edited:
back to those who watched the match and understood what was going on...but why Ali?

It could easily have swung the other way although I felt germany were a bit easy to read when going forward perhaps

As it happens i think it was a penalty

Griezman is a player i love. theres nothing of him but he's brave and calm. Great forwards demeanour. Pogba i would kill to have in my side. Didn't show his best throughout tournament but can stroll that midfield.

If you look at every tournament that Germany have been knocked out of under Low, the final knockout match has been a very comfortable defeat in which they have failed to score (late goal against Italy at 2-0 down notwithstanding). He has the players to play any brand of football they like, but he chooses a counter attacking style which although can produce some attractive results (England & Argentina in 2010 and Germany 2014 immediately come to mind), but against a decent team it's completely useless.

I can't express in words how fortunate they were in the World Cup Final, Argentina had them all ends up and of course Neuer should have walked early on, just a host of missed chances by Higuain and Messi in normal time and I believe it was Lavezzi in extra time that missed the best one. Because they thrashed Brazil in the semis people just assume they deserved the thing and it's impossible to reason with them when they have that mindset. It was yet another game when they were controlled by a superior team, unfortunately that team just couldn't score the goals they deserved and having seen them in two Copa America finals since, they could play against a bunch of kids in the park and still find a way to not win.

It was definitely a penalty.

Nice to see that clivex is consistent and can be an arrogant, insulting, misinformed prick on more than one thread, Icebreaker had the right idea, kunts like him have this forum ruined, night all!

You will be missed won't you. Zero to say on any subject.

in fact when did you ever post anything of interest at all? think about it

and you don't even know why ice left the forum. back to your green ink and fantising

Last edited:
If you look at every tournament that Germany have been knocked out of under Low, the final knockout match has been a very comfortable defeat in which they have failed to score (late goal against Italy at 2-0 down notwithstanding). He has the players to play any brand of football they like, but he chooses a counter attacking style which although can produce some attractive results (England & Argentina in 2010 and Germany 2014 immediately come to mind), but against a decent team it's completely useless.

I can't express in words how fortunate they were in the World Cup Final, Argentina had them all ends up and of course Neuer should have walked early on, just a host of missed chances by Higuain and Messi in normal time and I believe it was Lavezzi in extra time that missed the best one. Because they thrashed Brazil in the semis people just assume they deserved the thing and it's impossible to reason with them when they have that mindset. It was yet another game when they were controlled by a superior team, unfortunately that team just couldn't score the goals they deserved and having seen them in two Copa America finals since, they could play against a bunch of kids in the park and still find a way to not win.

It was definitely a penalty.

Fair point.

France should be able to toy with Portugal in the final.

Does Ronaldo look a little slower out of the blocks these days too?

Last edited:
You probably think England's is an acceptable level of performance Clive. I don't

If you want to carry on making excuses for the precious prima donnas, then by all means do so. To be honest though, the gullible public would be doing them a favour if they focused their ire on the players and let them know it's not good enough, and if that means weeding out some of the men from the babies, then fair enough. You won't win major tournaments with players who fold under pressure. That simple.

England have put together a decade of under performance now. The resevoir of excuses is running dry. Why is it always someone else's fault but the players? Try answering that, and you'll be halfway there

im not even answering that because you have assumed in the first sentence something I have certainly not stated anywhere

But anyone can see that an indecisive dithering manager is a factor. That was highlighted even before the tournament began with the friendly

where have i made "excuses"

they are a very young side. The prima donna accusations are frankly just saloon bar talk. without being in the camp no one can call that

Last edited:
You do have to laugh that when some of them give off about England and the English at every opportunity squeal when there is a reponse. And to think some of them live here too

I think we can allow the Welsh supporters a brief time in the sun, Clive, especially as it takes their minds off the rugby where they've lost four on the trot and five out of six, including twice to England. Everyone round here was fine, possibly because I kept quiet when England won the group match.
The supporters and manager can take a lot of credit from the tournament but the players lost my respect and support with that video of their celebrations when England went out. I don't mind how they act in private but to let it get on social media was crass and showed a complete lack of class. I for one raised a glass to Ronaldo on Wednesday night.

Last edited:
Exactly my sentiments Archie. I was fine with them up to that point but was quietly pleased for the same reasons.

the welsh players are generally a combination of Bellamy's looks and Hartson's brains, with a chimpanzee thrown in for good measure

the welsh players are generally a combination of Bellamy's looks and Hartson's brains, with a chimpanzee thrown in for good measure

Whatever it takes to get to semi finals of the Euros :cool:

Looks??? Wayne Rooney :lol::lol::lol:

Well done to them celebrating Icelands goals too!
They were certainly not alone.

Last edited:
Have to agree with the criticism of Low.

Muller has not been at the races this tournament, and whilst Gomez injury limited his options up front, his insistence on persevering with a player who has been largely anonymous throughout was bizarre. He should never have appeared for the second-half last night, imo, and the utterly ineffective Kimich should have been yanked after 60 minutes max. The Germans managed to play France off the park in the first-half without any real contribution from either. The manager should have changed it up after 60 minutes, but seemed pretty-much bereft of ideas of how to take back control of the game, after they went 1-0 down (a travesty, it has to be said).

I'm not sure I understand the criticism of Low.

On another night, Germany would have won that game by a cricket score.

It isn't an uncommon occurrence in football that one team is so dominant yet fails to win through any number of circumstances. Last night was just one of those games.

(I backed total goals so I was willing every chance to end up a goal and still can't understand how Germany didn't get at least three.)

Germany don't seem to have the players coming through. Kroos and Ozil don't score often enough and going back to Gomez was an admission that they have limited resources up front. If Muller is off form, as seems to happen at the Euros but not at the World Cup, then all the possession in the world is not enough. Ask England and Spain. Against France, Germany had 68% possession but only managed 2 more shots and actually one less shot on target.
Whether or not that is Low's fault is a moot point but it's certainly his responsibility. Oh, and it was a definite penalty.

Have to agree with the criticism of Low.

Muller has not been at the races this tournament, and whilst Gomez injury limited his options up front, his insistence on persevering with a player who has been largely anonymous throughout was bizarre. He should never have appeared for the second-half last night, imo, and the utterly ineffective Kimich should have been yanked after 60 minutes max. The Germans managed to play France off the park in the first-half without any real contribution from either. The manager should have changed it up after 60 minutes, but seemed pretty-much bereft of ideas of how to take back control of the game, after they went 1-0 down (a travesty, it has to be said).

But who should he have replaced them with? That is the question... it's easy to criticise what he did without offering substantial alternatives..

My criticism is purely on his style of play and tactics on the big occasions, nothing to do with personnel.

I'd rather have 10 men that have Mario Gomez anywhere near my team, I will add.

A shocking match for a shocking tournament. Portugal won one game or something? The format is a joke simply encouraging two 11 behind the ball nil nils and a defeat to qualify. When you have about two exciting games out of about 90 then its failed.

Pogo should be imposing himself on games like this. He has the ability but wonder whether he has the attitude

they have to go back to 16 teams only. They won't though

Last edited:
It may not have been a great match, but its good to see quality teams make it to the semis instead of diddy teams like England and Iceland. Portugal taking their record over the last 50 years to 4 semis, 2 finals and 1 win.

That said after the worst quality semi final in major tournament history. The Portugal Wales game would have disgraced the championship.

But who should he have replaced them with? That is the question... it's easy to criticise what he did without offering substantial alternatives..

Hamm, Muller didn't kick a ball all tournement. He could easily have thrown Gotze or Schurrle up-front as an alternative (or even Podolski!), instead of persevering with a guy who had contributed zero. Hoping and praying something comes good, is a sign of poor management. Changing personnel and/or tactics in the face of adversity, is the sign of good management - whether the outcome goes your way or not.

Kimmich apparently made the team of the tournament. Given Joe Allen (truly appalling against France) also made it, I can only assume that the award is sponsored by the RNIB.

Last edited:
It was the best tournament ever from my point of view.
Watching Wales get to the semis and losing to the eventual winners (in the same way France did) was amazing. The match against Belgium was unbelievable. The buzz the Welsh games created all over the country was very special and I hope English fans get to experience it in their lifetimes. I'm sure the Irish were proud of their teams too.
Wales might have bored some but who cares, they made the last four.
To think most pundits were criticising the draw when Portugal won it from the "wrong side" is also funny.

Last edited:
Back