Bar the Bull's World Cup Comp

Bar the Bull

At the Start
Okay ladies, so I am running a football competition for the 2014 World Cup. There will be fun and frolics. And excitement and tears. For those of you who have entered previous competitions, the rules are very similar; for the others, I will explain.

You must select 6 teams from the list below. Points will be awarded based on a combination of each team’s rating and how far they progress in the tournament. Points for progress are allocated as follows:

Last in group 0
3rd in group 5
Eliminated in 2nd round 15
Eliminated in Quarter final 30
Loser of 3rd place playoff 45
Winner of 3rd place playoff 55
Losing finalist 70
Winner 100

Weightings of the teams are as follows:

Brazil 2
Argentina 2
Germany 2.5
Spain 2.5
Belgium 3.5
France 4
Colombia 4
Italy 4
Uruguay 4.5
Portugal 5
Holland 5
England 5
Russia 6
Switzerland 7
Chile 7
Bosnia 8
Ecuador 8
Mexico 8
Ivory Coast 8
Croatia 9
Japan 9
Nigeria 10
South Korea 12
Greece 13
Ghana 13
USA 13
Cameroon 22
Algeria 28
Iran 30
Honduras 32
Australia 40
Costa Rica 50

So say you pick England. When they get knocked out on penalties in the quarter finals after a misjudged Gerrard Panenka, You will be awarded 30 * 5 = 150 points.
Say you pick Argentina. And say they finish 4th. You will be awarded 2 * 45 = 90 points.
And if you pick Costa Rica, and they manage to sneak 3rd in their group ahead of the overhyped Uruguayans, you will be rewarded with 5 * 50 = 250 points.

Entries must be posted here by 5 o’clock on the opening day the World Cup. Tell your friends, tell your family.

Prize will be:
€100 (or £80) for 1st
€50 (or £40) for 2nd
€25 (or £20) for 3rd

Last edited:
If Suarez is out will you be adjusting Uruguay's weight or is it set in stone?

Fantastic compo, is this the third time?

Very appreciative, Bar. Looking forward to spending a few hours selecting my teams.

I'm busy at the moment looking at PP top scorer offer (£5 free bet for every goal). My first inclination is towards Costa and Messi!

GLTA - MR2

Put me down for this please, Bar.

Selctions to follow, after I've given the tombola a squirt of WD40.

I'm going to wait until the last minute and play the stale lines because that's the kind of c*** I am.

Back