What are you watching

Calling fans of 'Sleepless in Seattle'...

You'll be aware of the constant references to the Cary Grant/Deborah Kerr film 'An Affair to Remember'. Yesterday I completely stumbled upon an old B/W movie from the late 1930s called 'Love Affair', starring Irene Dunne and Charles Boyer. I recommend giving it a watch. I watched it via BBC iplayer.

How the West was Won was on tv the other night. I remember my mum taking me to see it, one of the first films in cinerama. James Stewart was far too old to play a romantic lead but I still can’t imagine anyone else in that role. I never get tired of watching it, still cry every time I do and love the music.

Finally got to watch Oppenheimer. Because the family watched it too I couldn’t use subtitles and I got very confused with all the characters. Watched the Storyville documentary to understand more of what I’d seen. Sometimes it’s a good idea to read up on the subject matter of a film before watching it but sometimes it ruins it so I’m never sure what to do. In this case I wish I’d watched the documentary first but I’ll just have to rewatch the film, this time with subtitles too. Would have struggled with the three hours of it at the cinema.

Breathtaking on ITV, episode two tonight. I wasn't going to watch is but Jed Mercurio involved. It is literally breathtaking. Some of the statements issued by the powers that be at the time are just incredible when revisited here. Yes they didn't really have realise what was going on and it all wasn't obvious but really unbelievable with a huge amount of hindsight, but it's the manner in which the statements and 'updates' were delivered which is almost unpalatable.

I don't know if I could watch it without getting extremely angry, thinking back at the failures in coping with it as well as the graft and corruption going on behind the scenes.

Thanks be to God, I didn't lose any immediate family members - my brother lost a brother-in-law - but it was a constant source of serious concern since my mother-in-law was in her 90s and very vulnerable.

You will get angry. 20 mins in I was thinking 'same old'/how on earth did we ever come through 2 WWs' ( albeit obviously we have/had no Churchill now for all his faults and a few others obviously) and then, despite the stupidity of the generals, it was the infantry and NCO that saved us. Well not literally but...... The real footage used is actually jaw dropping the way it is placed.
I luckily didn't lose anyone close from it but a brother who should have had cancer treatment sooner than he did suffered because of it, and he's no longer here. Everyone dies in the end, but he went last May but if he had had the attention he should have had back in March - September 2020 can't help but feel he may have longer or at least his last year and a bit wouldn't have been so tough on him and us left behind.

Episode two last nght was just off the chart. It was absolutely heartbreaking. Nothing over dramatic/hysterical, just absolutely brillliant writing and acting.

I really ought to watch "Breathtaking" as I was in and out of hospital for the first six months of 2020. I was in isolation for the majority of that time with my phone and the nurses being my only contact with the outside World.

I was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukaemia at Lister hospital, Stevenage in March and then transferred to University College Hospital London in April. I wasn't discharged until July and by that time I was being fed through a tube into my stomach and weighed eight and a half stone.

There have been changes in my chemo treatment but basically it consists of 7 days of injections and 10 days of tablets every 6 to 8 weeks. I had all the recommended jabs but still caught Covid twice in early 2021.

I've recently tested positive again so my chemo has been postponed.

A timely reminder to everyone to still try, as much as possible, to not catch covid or pass it on to other people as we don’t know how compromised anyone’s health is. Do they give you the anti virals walsworth?

I didn't realise it was Covid, thought just a cold, until past the point where they are effective.
Hopefully my treatment will resume next week.

Got dragged into town today to see Wicked Little Letters (Mrs O is a fan of a lot of the cast).

Don't waste your time.

Oh no -I'm being dragged in to see it on Saturday.

You might enjoy it, Luke. I'm not sure about your taste in films.

It just struck me as a vehicle for the [very good] cast to dress up 1920s style and swear like second-year boys. There was a degree of tittering in the audience from people who liked it but not much, to be honest. I have to say, the TV trailer appealed to me but it turns out that was highly sanitised.

I hope you do enjoy it, though. It would be a shame if you went all the way into the pictures and, like me, didn't enjoy it.

Time for a wee [connected] rant. I don't go to the pictures often. The last time was December 2023 when Orchidette got me a ticket to join her for a showing of Shop Around the Corner in the GFT. That was great. I love the film and had never seen it on the big screen, and it started bang on time. Today Mrs O was in a bit of a flap trying to make sure we got there on time cos we live in the country and the bus service is hourly at best. We were there in plenty of time but there was fully 35 minutes, probably nearer 40, of ads and trailers before the film started. All that time watching shite ads for shite and shite trailers for shite films I had no interest in whatsoever. Is that what happens in all cinemas these days? Maybe I'm as well not going often.

Rant over.

For now.

I tried to watch Oppenheimer it was one of the most boring movies ever and way too long...So I tried The Pacific which was worse..just one explosion after another
After I watched Breaking Bad and Better call Saul finding something to hold my attention is so hard....any suggestions on a recent good tv series

You might enjoy it, Luke. I'm not sure about your taste in films.

It just struck me as a vehicle for the [very good] cast to dress up 1920s style and swear like second-year boys. There was a degree of tittering in the audience from people who liked it but not much, to be honest. I have to say, the TV trailer appealed to me but it turns out that was highly sanitised.

I hope you do enjoy it, though. It would be a shame if you went all the way into the pictures and, like me, didn't enjoy it.

Time for a wee [connected] rant. I don't go to the pictures often. The last time was December 2023 when Orchidette got me a ticket to join her for a showing of Shop Around the Corner in the GFT. That was great. I love the film and had never seen it on the big screen, and it started bang on time. Today Mrs O was in a bit of a flap trying to make sure we got there on time cos we live in the country and the bus service is hourly at best. We were there in plenty of time but there was fully 35 minutes, probably nearer 40, of ads and trailers before the film started. All that time watching shite ads for shite and shite trailers for shite films I had no interest in whatsoever. Is that what happens in all cinemas these days? Maybe I'm as well not going often.

Rant over.

For now.

Yes it is - at least you'll know for next time. :) There is sometimes a plus side to sitting through them as may see a trailer for something which wouldn't come across your radar normally.

I’ve got quite a few friends who loved it - hopefully you’ll err on that side Luke !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought it was somewhere between Good and very Good -definitely enjoyed it.Absolutely amazing to think it is based on a true story.

Back