Tuesday 23rd April 2024

So, yesterday my three little fancies acquitted themselves reasonably.

My reservations around Rouge De ‘Quest were founded, beaten in a driving finish and ran well, albeit being rousted along for a lot of the way , but beaten he was, proving that the price had no value in it. The winner was, of course, Take Your Time who handled the G/sft going brilliantly. Strange , though, given the trainer’s rep report for a previous run:

"(trainer's rep said, regarding the poor form shown, that gelding may have been unsuited by the good to soft ground on this occasion and would prefer a slower surface) (op 7/4 tchd 9/4)"

Good to be kept informed, isn't it?

After yesterday’s win, the trainer’s rep reported:

“(trainer's rep had no explanation for the apparent improvement in form)”

(Mkt1: op 10/1) SP 17/2

As easy as that, you see?

“After the result, punter Yorick, regarding the steam hissing from his ears, reported that he suffered post-race exasperation at the consistent timidity and impotence of the stewards. This was noted, then ignored.”

My selection, Animal, just petered out tamely. Perhaps a right-hand course and/or softer ground would be preferred, who knows.

Frere D’Armes looked to be on his mettle, being kept close to the pace rather than his usual held-up. However, when push came to shove, the finish wasn’t there. No bother since I did him a Ew just to cover myself. I’ve sensed for some time that he’s a horse that finds little.

My best result was the Ew 20/1 secured for Karl Phillipe. He ran a cracker, the rider showing that the stable were at the office with this one, keeping well up with the pace all round. He jumped very well, handled the course and fences nicely, only to be ran out of it after the last.

Today offers me the chance to attend Yarmouth races, which describes itself as “The best in seaside racing”. Not bad considering there’s only one other candidate: Redcar. Well, there’s ‘spin’ for you. It offers a card of numbing mediocrity, which would might even be bearable for a day out were it not for the ever-present gunmetal grey sky and persistent drizzle, which is all, it appears, that Norfolk has had to offer for the last six months. Nah.

If I were back in London, though, I might opt for the Epsom delights today. There’s a decent card, if you fancied getting your early-season fingers burnt. Looking at it, I will have a little dabble in the first, with half a mind on the ‘Dash’ which follows at a later meeting. An absolute graveyard this but I’ll have the merest hint of a go on Looking For Lynda Epsom 2.10 5/1 Ew. Mostly, though, it’s a race to replay-watch and study, isn’t it?

On the jumps front, I feel inclined (as I would) towards the 3m chase (2.53) which offers thirteen runners and Ew possibilities. I must say, I don’t fancy the favourite, Post Chaise, who runs over this left-hand course when he’s shown a marked preference for racing the other way round. He’ll have to put in a career best effort to win, too, on the book. No.

I think there is better value offered by two longer-priced runners. Firstly Shiroccosmagicbaby 8/1 Ew, who looks like a staying bred type to me. Lightly-raced, this is the mare’s first try over 3m and that certainly looks like an ‘edge’ to me, with her being lodged so low I the weights, too. Being a Shirocco, I think she’ll handle the good ground, as well. That’s a workable price, showing at 8/1. The stable is in bad form, it seems, but Gavin Sheehan’s record for the stable shows a profit of £108+ so: value for four places, I reckon.

I’ll also have a sneaky look at the Bowen charge, Lermoos Legend 14/1 Ew. Here’s one bred to stay all day long and it’s surprising they waited so long to put him over a distance of ground last July, at the age of eight. He won that day, beating Earlofthecotwolds on good off 109. Since then, he’s raced back at 2m 4f until his seasonal debut this term when he was PU. That was on the heavy, ground he’d hate. Today he’s back to his LWM of 109, back to 3m and back to good ground. Yes, the stable’s in poor form, dreadful with chasers on the track (0-20) but, again, at four places, this surely must be a little Ew shout at 14/1, don’t you think?

Anyway, as I intimated earlier, Today’s Epsom meeting must be one to pore over tonight, looking at the replays. Building my notebook is the order of the day; if I can find one to note in a day then it’s ‘job a good ‘un’, as they say.

Good luck

Last edited:
L for L places so no bother there but the two in the 3m chase: well:

Worst of all was Shiroccosmagicbaby. We punters hate nothing more than watching there horse planted at the back all the way round with absolutely no assistance from the jockey whatsoever. Being held up off the pace is one thing but really....

I've been watching NH for many, many years and it is as clear as day that the horse was a stonewall non-trier. I refer you you to my comments concerning stewards above.. With Lermoos, I can understand his showing. At least the jockey was bothered and asked his munt for some kind of effort.

Back