To Read or not to Read

Have added a few more to my list:

Shattered: Inside Hilary Clinton's Doomed Campaign (Allen/Parmes)
Who Rules the Word (Noam Chomsky)
Trump Revealed (Fisher/Kranish)
What Happened (HR Clinton)
Brexit: What The Hell Happens Now? (Ian Dunt)
Fire & Fury (Michael Wolff)
Inside Story: Politics From Thatcher To Brexit (Philip Webster)
Collusion: How Russia Helped Trump To The White House (Luke Harding)
Shadow World: Inside The Global Arms Trade (Andrew Feinstein)
ISIS: The State Of Terror (Stern/Berger)
All Out War: How Brexit Sank Britain's Political Class (Tim Shipman)
A Higher Loyalty: Truth, Lies & Leadership (James Comey)

Still haven't read House on the Strand!

Aaah! Now I understand why you are a miserable b*stard.

On a lighter note, having worked my way through Michael Connelly and John Grisham, I've moved on to John Sandford, Jeffrey Deaver and James Grippando - all excellent stuff if not quite as good as the first two named.

For fans of military thrillers, I'd also heartily recommend Rick Campbell.

For a quick and informed read, the link below:

http://nautil.us/issue/59/connections/another-side-of-feynman

9 letters that Freeman Dyson wrote over the course of about 20 years.

Reacquainted me with the the exploits of Richard Feynman.
Had forgotten what a prodigious mind and multi varied character he was

Students would stand in line to ensure a place in his seminars.

Just ordered the five cd boxed set "surely you're joking and "what do you care what other people think".
The master himself pontificating about the mysteries of life and other things.

Anyone read anything good lately

I've read these lately

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35068432-i-ll-be-gone-in-the-dark - enjoyable for true crime fans

Ryanair and Michael o'leary by Matt Cooper - https://www.easons.com/michael-olea...E3r85iuxYpI0EnVz_j3funay0KLwOn2oaAv0IEALw_wcB easy and quick read

Escape From Camp 14 - https://www.amazon.com/Escape-Camp-14-Remarkable-Odyssey-ebook/dp/B005GSZZ1A Inside look at north Korea (unknown really how much licence the book's main protagonist took but good read also)

Recently Re-read The Malazan Book of the Fallen. 19 books, two authors.

Currently on the Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson

Highly recommend Patrick Rothfuss

The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night- Time is a good read. Also, Things The Grandchildren Should Know - autobiography of Mark Everett, which I mentioned on another thread and Clare Balding - My Animals and Other Family, very good. At the moment I'm re reading a David Hall biography.. FRED, the late, great Fred Dibnah. I get a lot of autobiographies from charity shops as well and memorable ones are Sting, Broken Music - Jimmy Nail a Northern Soul and Graham Bradley - The Wayward Lad. Plus lots more all for a couple of quid

Enjoyed :-
The Coup - Ken Payne
The Lost - Jonathan Aycliffe
Down and Out in Paris and London - George Orwell

I've come late to Don Winslow and have just finished the first of the narco troilogy, The Power of the Dog. Imperfect, but a ratting good read for lazy days on holiday, methinks.

I have just bought all of David Peace 19XX books as a job lot in Oxfam. Are they worth reading?

I've come late to Don Winslow and have just finished the first of the narco troilogy, The Power of the Dog. Imperfect, but a ratting good read for lazy days on holiday, methinks.I have just bought all of David Peace 19XX books as a job lot in Oxfam. Are they worth reading?

Last edited:
It's really the wrong thread for this, but.........

Brexit is going to make the Tory austerity years look like unbridled profligacy.

Corporations and jobs will move out of the UK jurisdiction in droves, which will massively impact tax receipts. We won't be able to afford shi*t. The UK credit-rating will tank even further, meaning any money we try to borrow from the markets to prop-up the State will be at a huge mark-up, and Government bond yields will need to be massive to attract any investment. End result is that we can only kick the can down the road a bit, before payback cripples us further.

We are going to be utterly, utterly fu*cked when Brexit comes to pass, and as a country, we will eventually look back on Osborne's parsimony with misty-eyed nostalgia about how good we had it.

To counter this inevitable calamitous outcome, we have the intellectual and persuasive might of May, Johnson, Davis and Fox going to bat for us. What have we to worry about?

We won't need any social-care in a few years. We'll be shooting each other in the streets over loaves of bread.

Looking back, this was the beginning of what would ultimately become a twitter ban

Someone mentioned The Phantom of the Open on here years ago. Bought it for Mike but have been planning to read it myself. There are plans by that guy who’s in Ghosts and Detectorists to turn it into a film. Should be fun.

Looking back, this was the beginning of what would ultimately become a twitter ban

Pretty-much.....though I am now back in the Twitter-sphere, and trying hard to stay on my best behaviour.

As far as the reading is concerned, it is still mainly cu*nts, and I’m still mainly a miserable ba*stard. The tomes I’ve been running with since my last post are:

Rage: Bob Woodward
Everything Trump Touches Dies: Rick Wilson (hilariously good)
Running Against The Devil: Rick Wilson (also good)
True Crimes & Misdemeanours (The Investigation of DJ Trump): Jeff Toobin
Siege: Trump Under Fire: Michael Wolff
The Ascent of Gravity: Marcus Chown
Fear: Bob Woodward
Why We Get The Wrong Politicians: Isabel Hardman
How To Be A Liberal: Ian Dunt
Betting The House (Story of 2017 GE): Tim Ross
The Fifth Risk: Michael Lewis
Collusion: Luke Harding

Last edited:
Figured an update was due.

Still on Twitter, and still mainly reading about cu*nts. Some things never change:

Donald Trump vs The United States: Michael S Schmidt
ISIS: The State of Terror: Jessica Stern, JM Berger
Landslide: The Final Days of the Trump Presidency: Michael Wolff
Disloyal: Michael Cohen
Driven: The Men Who Made Formula 1: Kevin Eason
Ball Four: Jim Bouton
Peril: Bob Woodward, Robert Costa

Still haven't read 'House on the Strand' and I've no idea where it has gotten to.

Last edited:
Jaysus PJ. I came on to recommend 'Say Nothing' by Keefe and you pull this out.

Anyway, U.S. pulitzer prize journalist dissects Belfast and it's cast of horrible characters in early 70's using the McConville abduction as his pathway into the period. I normally avoid books about Norny like the plaque, but one was well recommended and fasinating.

Last edited:
Back