Morning folks, do you make Each Way betting pay?

sunshine

Amateur Rider
When there is an odds-on favorite in a 8 or 9 runner race you can generally back the 2nd fav or 3rd fav EW and swing the odds in your favor but this is more trouble than its worth, the Betting Exchanges offer very poor Each Way value and I am restricted to £2.75 with the big bookie, so how do you make it pay?

Last edited:
I bet purely on Betfair for small money - as you say, the odds on offer for ew betting are parsimonious so I'm a win only punter.

Looking for value has certainly been made more difficult by the consistent small field sizes (NH mostly) but there is still value to be had, I think, if we're patient enough to look for it.
I like races where I think the fav is too short a price, imo, in fields of 8 runners or more.

If, for instance, we can find a runner in that field who is 12/1 or so, it's well possible to make a profit if that horse is placed. It wouldn't be a big profit/stake return but means we live to fight another day and, if it wins, we're well in and heading towards the next 'battle'

I got involved in the place only market,

A typical bet for me would be
a. 20 pts at 1.32 net profit 6pts
b.26pts at 1.4 net profit 9.74
c. 35.74 at 1.25 net profit 8.38

Balance 44.12

Take profit

20pts at 1,35 and so on.

3 winners pull out the profit go back to original stake.

But as Grassy said at the time bores the shit out of you watching 4/5 shots getting in the first 2 or 3 home etc

Follow the longshot thread and you'll get some big-priced winners and placers. I don't keep/haven't kept a running record, but over the last two to three years (and probably before that)I think (from memory) there have been enough in the frame that (even just betting BF 3, 4, and 5 markets - and in very very rare 2 place where 7 runners), an appropriate staking plan would show a profit. And if you factor in the odd winner - as Yorick says - you might be laughing.

Each way betting has changed considerably over the last 20 years with the rise of betfair.My daughter will be 20 this year and the night before she was born I left my wife in the maternity ward and told her I was off home for a Good nights sleep because tomorrow was going to be a big day.Coincidentally there was a novice chase at Worcester a few minutes after I left the hospital -Martin Pipe trained the red hot favourite Westender who was 1/5 the second favourite was River City trained by Noel Chance who returned at 5/1-nothing else mattered.If an equivalent race was run today I'm certain the sp's would be 1/5 and 7/2 at best.The old notion of a bet to nothing just doesn't exist any more.Betting too often in bad each way races is a surefire way of getting your account closed down.
Friends of mine who were raised on the notion of a bet to nothing in the 80's are still chasing the dream but that game is over.
I don't think anyone is consistently making a profit from bad each way races.

Back