Mac vs PC

Ballydoyle

At the Start
I am looking to ditch my lumpy desktop PC for a sleek and shiny Mac (either lap or Air) but want to know if torrent streaming is compatiable before slapping down my hard cash.

Does anyone have experience of this - good or bad?

(Nothing wrong with my lumpy PC just feel its time to upgrade!)

All torrent sw is avaialble for MAC too. MacBook Pro is better than any desktop or windows laptop ive had.

I am not sure what the gap is nowadays but when i changed five years ago it was like trading an Austin Allegro for a BMW. I have never looked back.

Don't worry about the cost, They are so well made and the back up service is so good that its worth every penny.

Thanks guys - not looking to get this week but with it being Black Friday and all that it started me thinking

Happy to wait till April when its birthday with bonus paycheck - always helps to work for a major retailer for the discount!!

do Macs take USB?

Yep - just check on the models... the Air model is so thin it doesnt have much in the way of ports. The MacBook pro has multiple usb and firewire. But if you have a decent telly you can just play everything wirelessly direct from the Mac. :whistle:

If i remember rightly you work for the great John Lewis. ? They also give another year on top of the first years warranty. or did anyway

When you get one, you will wonder why you didnt before. Believe me

I got a Mac for the first time in the summer.

Microsoft can go hoist themselves - it's in a different league to a PC.

Last edited:
If i remember rightly you work for the great John Lewis. ? They also give another year on top of the first years warranty. or did anyway

When you get one, you will wonder why you didnt before. Believe me

Yes still work for JL hence the March date :)

I didnt know about the lack of USB ports so thats something I will be looking into as I dont have a SMART tv but I can plug a memory stick into it and play from that.

The only reason I had put off changing is that I run a game and the software is Windows 97 based but someone else will be running them next year so I can upgrade.

Looks like its an upgrade for me!!!

My eight year old Lenovo is running out of road and isn’t up to coping with the latest version of Windows. Should I get a new model or is it time I finally got a Mac?

Last edited:
My eight year old Lenovo is running out of road and isn’t up to coping with the latest version of Windows. Should I get a new model or is it time I finally got a Mac?

All depends on what you need it for mostly and what camp you are in

Its like jumps v the flat

If your budget is higher and you want something that looks great, has a super display and you are already tied into the Apple model, then a mac

If you want not to spend the cost of a WITP cover and like to use your laptop for nevarious matters like I, then stay on a windows laptop

BTW - not sure if it is an option, but if you just want it to browse, then i'd suggest you get a tablet where the ipad and the samsung galaxy are the daddys

Last edited:
I've been using a Chromebook for a year or so and have no complaints. All depends on how you view Apple, Microsoft and Google as 'partners' but if you have an android mobile you already have the Google link.

All depends what you use them for.

If you do a lot with databases then not a mac, you want windows or linux

Thanks for the advice. The ageing machine gave up the ghost over the weekend. I’m hoping a repair shop can rescue the data that’s on it and transfer it to a new machine for me.

I need to do some basic Word and Excel stuff on it, and browse racing form of course. I don’t intend watching films or tv, or blow up spaceships.

Last edited:
Word and Excel can be a bit clunky on a Mac, Arthur.

If you’re mainly using those products and browsing, then maybe a Windows PC is best for you.

Back