Jockey News

Bryan Cooper to retire with immediate effect aged 30.

Had no rides at Cheltenham this year and hasn’t had all that much go his way since winning the Gold Cup on Don Cossack

Young But I'm sure he has something lined up

If your heart is not in it, get out in one piece

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He lost all confidence after being dropped by O'Leary but I had plenty of respect for the way he gradually clawed his way back to a decent level.

It turns out though that he was living the whole time with dread of having another serious injury (he came very close to having a leg amputated in his Gigginstown days).

Best of luck to him going forward.

Brave man, no hiding why he got out and he had a career many could only dream about

I met him at an open day at Paul Nolans. Good honest young lad, good luck to him

Davy Russell has confirmed he will ride at Aintree, and will get the legover on Galvin in the Nash......which I'm personally delighted to hear.

Jack Tudor confirmed as stable jockey for David Pipe. No surprise as he’s ridden plenty for Pipe recently

Brian Hughes will take the ride on Ahoy Señor in the Bowl on Thursday, as Derek Fox focuses on being fit to ride Corach Rambler in the Nash.

Geez Grassy Brian getting a mount in a big race..what is the wrold coming to.

To be honest I wish he wouldn't ride the damn thing hwo is an accident waiting to happen...

I can't see changing from Derek to Brian as an improvement as the horse has definitely got a mind of his own.

This will make or break Shishkin as a King George horse and away from the undulations of Cheltenham I reckon he'll have too many guns for Bravemansgame. If he runs that is.

One of Australias top jockeys Dean Holland enjoying his best ever season with 82 winners, has been involved in an accident at Donald racecourse.

His mount in the first race suddenly veered left into the running rail and fell bringing down the horse behind.

The jockey on the horse brought down walked away uninjured but Dean Holland has been airlifted to Melbourne hospital
with critical injuries.........

One of Australias top jockeys Dean Holland enjoying his best ever season with 82 winners, has been involved in an accident at Donald racecourse.

His mount in the first race suddenly veered left into the running rail and fell bringing down the horse behind.

The jockey on the horse brought down walked away uninjured but Dean Holland has been airlifted to Melbourne hospital
with critical injuries.........

RIP Dean - terrible fall and the worst possible outcome.

From Racing.com : Jockey Dean Holland has died after a race fall at Donald. He was 34.

Victorian Jockeys' Association CEO Matt Hyland confirmed Holland's passing on Monday afternoon, saying the organisation is 'incredibly devastated' by the tragic death of the popular jockey.

Holland was treated by paramedics on course and an air ambulance was dispatched, however, tragically, he could not be saved.

RIP :0(

Sounds awful R.I.P to the jockey.

A reminder if anyone needed one that jockeys especially jump jockeys put their neck on the line everytime they start a new race.

It can be a dangerous sport where horses are not the only ones taking a risk.

I just wonder if these animal extremists understand this sometimes.

Last edited:
Yes they would say that, Ed.

The fact people can die tragically riding horses either on a racetrack or anywhere else for that matter uneqivocally shows in so many ways the endearment that is shown to the vast majority of racehorses, (in training yards anyway).

Because it's a bit like being in the army. You and your fellow beings are reliant on each other, and yes as in horse racing accidents can happen. The fact a jockey or person risks themselves while on a horse shows what the value of that horse is to the person riding it.

I guess they would say back lets cut risk out entirely, to which I would say back, you are wanting something that is unrealistic.

Last edited:
Actualy yesterday was Anzac Day.

Which is a national day of remembrance in Australia to remember all those who served and died in all wars, conflicts.

The Australian powers that be cancelled one of the years biggest meetings "Anzac Day" such ws the high esteem Dean Holland was held to.

Was nice to see just about every racing paper/website in the Uk and even in the USA carried the story.

Dean had a wife and 4 kids. As we know racing looks after it's own and Tony Ottobre, a former apprentice jockey and owner,
has set up a fundraising campaign with a target of $500,000 – and in just a few hours, it had already reached $100,000.

Been kinda tough watching racing today with this tradgedy still clear on the mind.

Very emotional day when a horse Dean was closely associated with and would have ridden today won.

The replacement jockey saluted the heavens as he passed the post then as he was being interviewed burst into tears.

The camaraderie among racing people has sone through once again.

The fundraiser for Dean Holland's family has ticked over $900,000 as the racing industry throws its support behind them.

The GoFundMe, set up by prominent owner Tony Ottorbre, had an original goal of $500,000 but as of 3.40pm on Wednesday had reached $901,000.

Racing Victoria has also pledged to donate $100,000 to the fundraiser to help support Dean's wife Lucy and their four young children.

Ottorbre, who didn't have a connection to the Holland family, kicked off the GoFundMe with a $100,000 donation.

Since then more than 3000 individual donations have been made with hundreds of industry participants including jockeys and trainers making significant donations.

Does anyone know what Choc Thornton is doing these days? Unlike most jockeys, when he retired from riding he just seemed to disappear completely.

I was going to ask if anyone knew where Martin Harley was but I decided to google it.
He went to Australia and made a good start but then clipped heels and got seriously injured with fractures to his Co,c1 and c2 plus his shoulder blade 2 ribs and a small bleed to the brain.
He walked out of hospital 2 days later with a halo and although it is being allowed to heal w/o an operation he Hope's to be back in 2 months.
Good luck to him.

Back