Christmas Songs

simmo

Senior Jockey
Confession. I'm a fan.

My personal favourite is Judy Garland singing Have yourself a merry little Christmas.

It came out in 1944 and the lyrics, I think, reflect the mood of that time of uncertainty about the permanence of life beautifully.

I'd be interested to hear of any other favourites and why.

Oh, so many! This thread was made for me!!! [emoji319][emoji318][emoji1762]

I’m also a HYAMLC fan - but I’m a sucker for a Christmas song. Generally the cheesier the better [emoji16]
In absolutely no particular order, a small list from me is….

Walking in a winter wonderland
Holly Jolly Christmas
Oh Christmas Tree
The christmas song
Little drummer boy ( the Bowie/ Crosbie one mostly - one of only about three Bowie songs I like )
Christmas Wrapping ( 🫣 I know, I know - but it’s funny!!)
Must be Santa
Rocking around the Christmas tree ( the Mel smith version. Obvs)
Merry Christmas everyone ( shakin Stevens)
A winters tale

And many, many others.

Pretty much you name it I’ll love it. What I HATE beyond words is the Slade song. And I’m not a fan of driving home for Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brilliant Trudi. So many good ones there, though I have to say I really hate Christmas wrapping, it's so kitchen sink drama, it's like a Christmas version of Up The Junction!!

[emoji1787] it is a bit! I didn’t like it at all but then a few years after it came out I found myself singing along with it in the car and realised that somehow I knew all the words and it made me smile quite a bit [emoji2]

The Power of Love ( FGTH, not Huey Lewis) is also up there, but only once or twice - it’s a bit too slow and melancholy for me to really get Christmassy over.

( but I am very much a multi coloured, unicorn threw up every colour chaos possible kind of Christmas person!)

Clare Teal did a lovely version of Mele Kalikimaka ( sp!!) as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The missus really enjoys it but I just can't warm to it. I'd rather listen to those classics from the 50s that present an idyllic world that probably doesn't exist. unless we allow them to in our minds. :)

Confession. I'm a fan.

My personal favourite is Judy Garland singing Have yourself a merry little Christmas.

It came out in 1944 and the lyrics, I think, reflect the mood of that time of uncertainty about the permanence of life beautifully.

I'd be interested to hear of any other favourites and why.

Me too.

And I can't watch Meet Me in St Louis when it comes to JG singing it with such emotion in her voice (and my daughter was MO'B's double at the same age!). The cover version used in Monuments Men carries it very well emotionally.

Like Trudij, so many great songs to enjoy and sing along with and one that has come to the fore for me this year is Jingle Bell Rock (Bobby Helms). I wanted our wee charity band to do it but we didn't get enough practice in to be sure it would work.

Do You Believe in Father Christmas (Greg Lake)
Fairytale of New York (Pogues & Kirsty McColl)
Stop The Cavalry (Jonah Lewie)

I’d be quite happy to have just these three on a constant loop when we’re having Christmas brekkie.

Last edited:
Totally unoriginal & boring 1 Fairytale of New York

followed by (in another parish)

2 Do they know it's Christmas
3 Merry Christmas everybody

Reason? I just never tire of them, unlike most of the others

Last edited:
Does East 17, stay another day qualify as a christmas song? I like that one.

It gets played a lot around christmas, I think maybe because it was christmas number one in the 1990s.

Last edited:
I have to say unashamedly that, for me, Bing's White Christmas stands alone as the #1 Christmas song.

After that, again unashamedly, it has to be Mariah Carey's All I want for Christmas is You.

Away from the commercial stuff, I have a totally personal favourite Christmas CD. It was produced by people in North Lanarkshire. The feeder primary schools to the secondary where Mrs O worked co-operated with her music and Modern Languages departments to produce seven or eight Christmas carols in French, sung by the primary kids. It is totally enchanting. It's one of the Christmas CDs in the exchanger in my car and I always look forward to it coming on.

They sang Fairytale of New York at Shane's funeral last Friday.Incredibly uplifting -well worth checking out on YouTube.

I'm a huge hate Christmas time of year and usually turn radio off/over if Christmas songs come on except for Springsteen Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town ( live version recorded in the summer of 1975 at a college campus ) 'cos you can hear the joy in his voice singing it,and Wham. I know but it's just great. It is.

I just like Maddy Prior and the Carnival bands carols and the Mediaeval Babes Christmas cd. Along with a Sufjan Stevens songs for Christmas album that my son bought me years ago.

With the proviso that there should be an absolute ban on any Christmas activity before the end of November, this is my nomination:

I cant stand the Wham one or Mariah Carey's one.
My favourite ones are Silent night,fairytale of New York and stop the cavalry.
And I like mistletoe and wine when the girl sings at the end.
I thought this song was a certain number one and it was 3/1.

With the proviso that there should be an absolute ban on any Christmas activity before the end of November, this is my nomination:

As it's one of the songs on my 2nd favourite albums of all time how could I disagree with this choice?

I cant stand the Wham one or Mariah Carey's one.
My favourite ones are Silent night,fairytale of New York and stop the cavalry.
And I like mistletoe and wine when the girl sings at the end.
I thought this song was a certain number one and it was 3/1.

Hardly an Outsider then;)

Back