Chester

barjon

Conditional
I’ve spent many a happy hour at Chester watching the youngsters getting to grips with running on the turn with tight bends. The best ones are those who learn how to handle it mid-race and finish strongly - back them next time they run there and you won’t go far wrong. The bends are not as tight as they used to be unfortunately, but still a big factor.

Today I was interested in taking a chance that Rashabar would handle it ok after his good run at Newbury, but he’s copped the graveyard draw so I’ll pass and just watch him.

I don’t think Arrest was anywhere near ready for the John Porter at Newbury last time and I’ll be very disappointed if he doesn’t put up a strong show in the Ormonde today. I thought 5/2 was a decent price last evening so took some of that, but he’s drifted to 3/1 atm which is not good news so I haven’t added. Will keep an eye on the market late on.

Never So Brave is on his handicap debut in the 2:35. He came second to a couple of top notchers last season - Vandeek and Ancient Wisdom - and won his pipe opener at Thirsk with consummate ease last time. This is a much, much harder task and price is real skinny. Too skinny for me, I think.

Elsewhere, Stoute’s Reaching High - 8:30 Chelmsford - is also on handicap debut for him and a better bet (100/30 at the moment), although I think that one will be better when upped in trip.

I’ve spent many a happy hour at Chester watching the youngsters getting to grips with running on the turn with tight bends. The best ones are those who learn how to handle it mid-race and finish strongly - back them next time they run there and you won’t go far wrong. The bends are not as tight as they used to be unfortunately, but still a big factor.

Today I was interested in taking a chance that Rashabar would handle it ok after his good run at Newbury, but he’s copped the graveyard draw so I’ll pass and just watch him.

I don’t think Arrest was anywhere near ready for the John Porter at Newbury last time and I’ll be very disappointed if he doesn’t put up a strong show in the Ormonde today. I thought 5/2 was a decent price last evening so took some of that, but he’s drifted to 3/1 atm which is not good news so I haven’t added. Will keep an eye on the market late on.

Never So Brave is on his handicap debut in the 2:35. He came second to a couple of top notchers last season - Vandeek and Ancient Wisdom - and won his pipe opener at Thirsk with consummate ease last time. This is a much, much harder task and price is real skinny. Too skinny for me, I think.

Elsewhere, Stoute’s Reaching High - 8:30 Chelmsford - is also on handicap debut for him and a better bet (100/30 at the moment), although I think that one will be better when upped in trip.
Good luck mate. If i catch one or two of your races i will cheer them on for you.
I dont bet on the flat these days and even when i did i didnt touch Chester. I just dont like the track. To be honest, i'm not overly fussed on Epsom either. As we all know, it is hard enough trying to find a winner but on tracks where so many things can go wrong (yes i know they can go wrong at all tracks), it is even harder. And tracks like Epsom and Chester always have more than their fair share of hard luck stories.
But of course, good luck to anyone punting there today and may you all finish the day with far more money than you started it.

I have a nice price about Deauville Legend for the Ormonde taken before decs so I'm in a good position. I fear the Ballydoyle more than Arrest as I think the ground won't be soft enough for the latter.

Do you know what really really fucks me off - I had three places on Deaville Legend and Oisin Murphy, whose tactics there on Alsakib were dogshit. He flays the cunt in the last furlong to get up an deny me a place. He is a twat.

Arrest is too much of a big old galloper to really be suited by this track. He won last year on much softer ground and he came wide when nothing else handled the ground. You really need a neat, tidy horse who isn’t inconvenienced by the turns. Hidden Lake was a prime example.....:cry:

Rashabar goes straight into the tracker. Lovely horse but wrong track and the draw did not help.

Can’t but agree, jj. I’m not displeased because they both ran well with so much against them. As I said, I didn’t back Rashabar this time, but I can’t wait for him on a better track and maybe a tad further. Again, I thought Arrest did fine, too, in the circumstances (not sure he’ll see to the winner anyway, even if the stars align). I only had a starter and didn’t add so not much damage done and I’ll keep faith with him.

Last edited:
Back