Talking Horses pending upgrades

Well - that didn't happen LOL

Sorry about the delay on all of this. I've been focused elsewhere, but I am now ready to start getting busy wiht this.

By the way, I had an awesome time yesterday with an invite to the Royal Enclosure at the Royal Ascot yesterday. I had an absolute blast.
LOL

me-royal-ascot.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2023-06-20 at 21.39.23.jpg

So we are back on track. Over the next several days we will be adding new categories to the forum, with a pending upgrade for next week. As mentioned before, Blogs are not part of the Xenforo package, but I think we have a solution for that.

I am really excited to finally get Talking Horses up to date and search engine/mobile friendly. Once the launch is completed, I am confident that we will be seeing a lot of new faces here.

Caveat: I will be creating a lot of new categories which will need to be populated with existing threads. That will be a slow process, but the end result should make this forum exceptional. :thumbsup:

Some thoughts...

This is a pretty heavy undertaking, to take a well-populated forum and make these types of changes.

So I think we, as membership, will need to cut some slack here. There are likely to be many different views on category naming.

Try to keep in mind - the aim is to restructure to give the forum the best possible future. To do that, it (among other things) needs search engine visibility. And there are significant changes on the way (and already here, in places) in how search engines work, how searchers use them, and in particular around how the search engines 'decide' what to show searchers looking for info.

So naming of categories and threads can all play a (big, at times) part in the processes that underpin all of those search-related elements.

It'll be near impossible (I suspect) to get it all 100% right at the start. Any glaring errors noted, yes, it'll be good to highlight. I don't know for sure, but suspect anything obviously wrong can be changed/amended if it's caught early enough. Just bear in mind, there are likely to be underlying reasons why some choices are made.

**Bryan** Please correct if I've said anything out of turn.

Yep I fully understand what you are saying - I am weighing SEO and user needs at the same time. And it's dynamic. We can always make changes to things that don't work for folks here. Nothing is carved in stone. :)

Talking Horses pending upgrade II

Hi all!

So back on track :D I will be adding new forums and reorganising the forum catagories a bit starting this week, so you will slowly see some progress being made here. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Just to let everyone know, over the next several days the forum might be shut down sporadically in order for us to work on the backend. Sorry for the inconvenience, but please save your work before hitting "Reply to Thread" :thumbsup: :)

Last edited:
Just to let everyone know, over the next several days the forum might be shut down sporadically in order for us to work on the backend. Sorry for the inconvenience, but please save your work before hitting "Reply to Thread" :thumbsup: :)

Hiya.

The notice to ' save your work':

How does that affect our blogs? does it mean we have to save all the previous blogs we've made by copying and pasting them onto our own word documents or will those remain ok on the site? I often like to refer back to blogs I've previously posted when writing upcoming blog entries.

No! Lol :p I meant save your work while you're posting in case we turn off the forum temporarily. :)

Your blogs are safe - we have a solution for that. You'll have your own forum where all your blog entries will be saved. :thumbsup:

No! Lol :p I meant save your work while you're posting in case we turn off the forum temporarily. :)

Your blogs are safe - we have a solution for that. You'll have your own forum where all your blog entries will be saved. :thumbsup:

I've been doing my thread for 12 years,i hope that will just be carried over as well as i use it as a record every month when tracking back..it will also be 5,000,000 views by the end of the year..

No worries about your daily picks thread. All of the content of this forum will be upoaded into the new forum. :thumbsup:

I've been doing my thread for 12 years,i hope that will just be carried over as well as i use it as a record every month when tracking back..it will also be 5,000,000 views by the end of the year..

Screenshot 2024-04-13 090031.png

Here's what it looks like in the staging forum. :)

Have to add my 5 pence /cents. Bryan has done an amazing job on the new forum! You all I am sure will be very pleased!! :D

Yeah - we are looking at doing this on Monday the 22nd - it may take a few hours, hopefully way shorter - but there are a number of tasks I need to do during the migration.

Once we are done, I hope that it'll be easy for most people to get used to the new look and feel. I also hope it will generate new registrations here - which I believe it will :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hi all,

Apologies for the downtime experienced for the past hour with the forum. The first part of the update to Talking Horses has now been applied, we now have a BRAND NEW Website home page :D

Only one page, but this will enable us to help build the site and make it grow.

This forum will be upgraded early doors Monday morning. I expect it will be closed for posting for a number of hours, but I will try and be as quick as I can.

https://talkinghorses.co.uk/

Last edited:
Back