Morning chaps...How do on-course punters make it pay

sunshine

Amateur Rider
Do they count the number of connections in the parade ring and back the horse with the most? ...Depends on the price I suppose.

There was a winning bet of €250 each way at 100/1 on course in Ireland last Friday night that the bookie couldn't lay off.Full story is on Irishracing.com -a very interesting read.

The pros and cons of going racing as part of making a living from betting.

Not clear cut, as I knew someone who, upon the advent of exchanges, stopped going then started again.

At home, he saved all the expenses and could get even better odds than were ever available, fleetingly, in isolated back-line places at the track.

But he lost out on paddock inspection and things like, as alluded go on another thread, visibility on the conspicuous presence - or equally-conspicuous absence - of the more notorious connections when their horses were running.

And of course you can still use the machine on your phone at the track, though at many minor meetings in particular, liquidity isn't what it was.

Never go into the owners and trainers lounge as they all insist that their nag will win. I would often chat to trainers on raceday and they very seldom said their nags had no hope unless they where just giving them a run out in prep for something else

The benefit of going would be seeing how the horses are pre race, looks, behaviour, going to post etc
Yeah,a lot of shrewed punters can tell by the definition of the nags muscles etc to tell how primed they are. On that basis I would be declared as a non runner at the coconut shy.

Back