Thread: ATR Ride of the year

Thanks
    Blog Entries

ATR Ride of the year

What's your opinion

1. Tommy Dowson on Captaine Sharpe. Great to watch but hardly the plan to hold up 20 lengths behind the leader until the last.

When a horse sees the way back to the stables and takes off under you it's hardly a candidate for ride of the year..more like most unusual ride of the year

2. Derek Fox on One for Arthur..Winning the GN must be a great feeling but I see absolutely nothing special about the ride just a very tough horse who just outstayed everything else.

3. Will Kennedy he had the race won going to the last and to that point the ride was pretty ordinary. Horse landed skewiff after the last and yes a good recovery
    but was far enough in front with a ton of horse under him for it not to matter and nothing difficult about riding without irons with nothing to jump.

4. Harry Teal I give full marks to. His ride was almost McCoy-like, horse looked beaten 2 out but he never gave up for a minute and got every ounce out of the horse

I voted for 4 here http://www.attheraces.com/lestersvote
    Last edited by Tanlic; 22nd November 2017 at 8:14 AM.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not usually one for crowing about rides, as I reckon the horse does 99% of the hard-work, but there were two at the weekend, which impressed more than any on the ATR shortlist.

Firstly, props to Bryony Frost for her ride on Black Corton. Seemed to know exactly how much horse she had under her throughout the race, didn't panic when Ballyoptic was seemingly going best, and looked very tidy/strong in the finish.

Secondly - and I sort of amaze myself with this one - Tom Scudmaore rode a tremendous race in the X-Country. I'd backed the outer of the two Frenchies, and was convinced he would get up after the last, but Scudamore judged the pace to perfection, and made sure he had enough left in the tank, to get his horse home in the straight.

Otherwise, if they don't fall-off or drop their hands, that's generally good enough for me.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Given the pressure of riding a fancied horse on a big occasion I'd give the vote to Derek Fox. The fact the stars were aligned that day, it being my birthday and all, and that I won a packet on the race has nothing to do with it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    If these two attributes are key determinants in deciding the winner;

Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post

Otherwise, if they don't fall-off or drop their hands, that's generally good enough for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    and that I won a packet on the race has nothing to do with it.
    Then I'd probably plump for Jody McGarvey's ride on Great Field at Leopardstown.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Fair shout that right enough, Lee.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    I'm not usually one for crowing about rides, as I reckon the horse does 99% of the hard-work, but there were two at the weekend, which impressed more than any on the ATR shortlist.

Firstly, props to Bryony Frost for her ride on Black Corton. Seemed to know exactly how much horse she had under her throughout the race, didn't panic when Ballyoptic was seemingly going best, and looked very tidy/strong in the finish.

Secondly - and I sort of amaze myself with this one - Tom Scudmaore rode a tremendous race in the X-Country. I'd backed the outer of the two Frenchies, and was convinced he would get up after the last, but Scudamore judged the pace to perfection, and made sure he had enough left in the tank, to get his horse home in the straight.

Agree about Bryony Frost - put the squeezers on Johnson just as Ballyoptic's jumping began to fray at the edges and was very cool from then on . I read someone saying people are comparing her to Lizzie Kelly as if that were a compliment - she is already a much better jockey than Kelly .

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardross View Post
    I read someone saying people are comparing her to Lizzie Kelly as if that were a compliment - she is already a much better jockey than Kelly .
    I would certainly agree with that.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Said exactly the same thing to a mate post race and he told me feck off (he's emotionally scarred from too many front running festival novice rides)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Peculiar Places looked stuffed fully 5 furlongs out......great ride by RJ...and a horse to follow to go with it
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Competition closed. Sean Bowen

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I saw in Nico the next John Francome he was absolutely brilliant today on Gold Present and I backed the 2nd so no axe to grind
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Jack Kennedy in the 2.35 Clonmel Today, wow.
    Agree about Sean Bowen on Beware the Bear too.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggers1972 View Post
    Jack Kennedy in the 2.35 Clonmel Today, wow.
    Agree about Sean Bowen on Beware the Bear too.
    That Kennedy sit is absolutely incredible and then to go on and win the race