Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast

Thread: The Road To The 2021 Cheltenham Gold Cup

Thanks
    in fairness to mullins, he's only given him the kid gloves approach as a prep for his 2 gold cups, think he got a pretty normal prep for the rsa (where he fell when beaten) and he ran him at punchestown in the spring after his first gold cup win and imagine would have done the same last season barring the pandemic.

he obviously thinks he needs to be fresh in march and it shouldn't detract against the horse much. we'd all like our top horses to have the constitution of an ox as well have high class ability but it's not always the case.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Mullins clearly following similar approach to Hen Knight.

No denying that it’s effective and both might end-up winning three Gold Cups, but their campaings leave their legacy open to criticism, in the way that (for example) Denman’s or Kauto Star’s aren’t - despite them winning less Gold Cups.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankel View Post
    Who are the five? Is this on price or chance you give them?

I get the age thing and potential class of race this time round. Not sure he was lucky in March mind.
    Prices.
    I've got Minella Indo and Delta Work backed already and at current prices would sooner back Santini, Presenting Percy now he's at Elliot's.

Actually make that four on reflection

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Euronymous View Post
    Meh. He was a tad lucky last season and this year's looks a better renewal. He's not getting any younger also. There's five I'd sooner back in the ap lists tbh.
    Lucky last season? Please explain....

Thanks
    Prices.
    I've got Minella Indo and Delta Work backed already and at current prices would sooner back Santini, Presenting Percy now he's at Elliot's.

you'd want minella to actually show some attempt at getting up the hill this year. santini definitely interesting. stronger runs race might suit.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesRB View Post
    you'd want minella to actually show some attempt at getting up the hill this year. santini definitely interesting. stronger runs race might suit.
    Minella I’d have no issues getting up the hill. Was pissing around with Allaho after the last, when Champ actually went past Minella, he chased after him.

Thanks
    Prices.

Interesting that Champ is not in the list. Was it how he went through the RSA (even though he won), or you see more improvement from Minella Indo?
    All comers, all grounds, all beaten!

This perfect mix of poetry and destruction.

Thanks
    Gold Cup means more fences. I see this as a negative for Champ. Wouldn't rule him out though. If he was with Nicholls I'd be less sure of being against him but has Hendo ever improved a horse's jumping. Josses Hill never improved his fencing.
    Last edited by Euronymous; 25th November 2020 at 9:16 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Gold Cup means more fences. I see this as a negative for Champ. Wouldn't rule him out though. If he was with Nicholls I'd be less sure of being against him but has Hendo ever improved a horse's jumping. Josses Hill never improved his fencing.
    Did they ever even hint at Yogi?
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Double J View Post
    Minella I’d have no issues getting up the hill. Was pissing around with Allaho after the last, when Champ actually went past Minella, he chased after him.
    The year between novice and chapinionship is a huge development opportunity for this type of horse, he looks to have developed physically, I have no doubts either about trip
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    If he manages to put it all together he is potentially the strongest stayer. He does have questions as you say.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,221 Times in 924 Posts
    Blog Entries
    At the moment I find it difficult to see a reason why it should not be fought out by this year’s principals. Of those ABP and Santini were trained to the minute but, on the evidence of the way Tizzards other runners performed, LIT may have been a little short.
    Last edited by barjon; 25th November 2020 at 10:30 AM.

Thanks
    Historically a good RSA will provide at least one of the principals for the following year's Gold Cup.

Last year Santini
    the year before ABP
    the year before that Might Bite

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Add Denman, Bobsworth etc.

It’s usually a better indicator than the same season’s King George.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by barjon View Post
    At the moment I find it difficult to see a reason why it should not be fought out by this year’s principals. Of those ABP and Santini were trained to the minute but, on the evidence of the way Tizzards other runners performed, LIT may have been a little short.
    Valid point regards LIT which I think some will hang on. I had doubts regards trip going in and think he will be found wanting again even if he gets his ground.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    Agree about the RSA and the Gold Cup.

Which is why I backed Topofthegame for both the Ladbrokes and Gold Cup when the entries for the former were announced.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    As a sure fire sign that the pandemic affects mental health, I'm going to have a small ante post nibble at the 90 machine price about Native River coming back in the same form he was in February and getting his ground next March.

True it's hard to see an 11 year old winning but he's due back in the Many Clouds that he won so well last year so I'll know my fate pretty quickly, as if he puts in the same kind of performance he'll be half those odds in two weeks time.

Tizzard sounded pretty bullish in the stable tours and classed the injury that kept him out in March as minor, also stating that he's not being targeted at the National this year with all roads leading to the Gold Cup.
    Last edited by wilsonl; 25th November 2020 at 12:10 PM.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonl View Post
    Tizzard sounded pretty bullish in the stable tours

Thanks
    As a sure fire sign that the pandemic affects mental health, I'm going to have a small ante post nibble at the 90 machine price about Native River.
    MEDICS

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    Tizzard sounded pretty bullish in the stable tours and classed the injury that kept him out in March as minor, also stating that he's not being targeted at the National this year with all roads leading to the Gold Cup.
    From the ATR stable tour item, early October:

He is back in full work and won’t run until December when he goes back up to Aintree for the Many Clouds which he bolted up in last year. He doesn’t owe us a thing and he’s a hell of a chap. We will look after him a bit and pick and choose our way. He will have an entry in the Grand National, but it will be up to the owner if he goes there.

He only won a Gold Cup because Might Bite didn't stay. However, if he's still around the 172 mark, he shouldn't be 90. Probably fair enough to have him onside at that price as you can lay it off should he shorten and zero your risk.
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 25th November 2020 at 2:53 PM.
    Illegitimi non carborundum