Thread: Coronation Cup

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts

Coronation Cup

I was on Old Persian so no axe to grind but regarding Defoe and Kew Gardens I'd say swap the jockeys and you swap the placings. Another poor tactical ride from Moore.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 620 Posts
    Not really. He has the race won but an improved Defoe (amazing what a difference a small snip makes. I’m sure we could do the same with humans........!) got outspeeded him.
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

Thanks
    You're probably a better judge than me, jinnyj, but to me it looked like Moore was unnecessarily far back through the first seven furlongs then made a long move from four out which flattened out in the last half-furlong. Atzeni was closer to the pace, didn't ask too much too keep his horse there and reserved his final effort for the final furlong to rally past the favourite. If the sectionals tell me otherwise I'll accept it but that's how it looked to me.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    You're probably a better judge than me, jinnyj, but to me it looked like Moore was unnecessarily far back through the first seven furlongs then made a long move from four out which flattened out in the last half-furlong. Atzeni was closer to the pace, didn't ask too much too keep his horse there and reserved his final effort for the final furlong to rally past the favourite. If the sectionals tell me otherwise I'll accept it but that's how it looked to me.
    Substitute Dettori for Atzeni and the script is the same.

Surely Moore's days as Coolmore No 1 are numbered.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 620 Posts
    I knew that was coming! He’ll make amends tomorrow.
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

Thanks

I knew you knew...

I won't be at all surprised if we see a different ride tomorrow.

Dettori for years now has been riding Epsom like Piggott used to. Not far off the pace in fourth or fifth unless they're going mad up front.

I'm really keen to see what the sectionalistas make of today's two big races.

Thanks
    Had to double check what I was reading here. As John McEnroe used to say 'You can not be serious'.

Ruby and Murtagh correct in their analysis.
    All comers, all grounds, all beaten!

This perfect mix of poetry and destruction.

Thanks
    Far be it for me to gainsay either Ruby or Murtagh but one of the ITV ex-jocks said Moore would be wishing he could ride the race again.

Thanks
    Just watched the race again and the post-race comments by Murtagh and Weaver.

Murtagh: the way the race was run Ryan had to play early ... they didn't go fast ... it looked like a race-winning move ... and he just paid the penalty in the last hundred yards ...

Weaver butts in: if he could go again surely he would wait an extra half a furlong ... surely he would ...

Murtagh: ... you only get one shot ...

Weaver: ... if he had his time again he'd wait ...

The thing is, this was his second time. He'd got Kew Gardens beat an hour earlier with the exact same move. Because he was in the exact same position! They say the height of stupidity is doing the same thing a second time and expecting a different result.

Moore is the reason I'm not backing Sextant today. I reckon it is by far the most likely winner of its race (over C&D) and if Frankie was on I'd happily have taken 7/4, let alone the 9/4 available later this morning. But I can't trust Moore to get the tactics right after yesterday.

A bit of me wonders if the PD ride was an arrogant I'll-show-them-there-was-nothing-wrong-with-the-Kew-Gardens-ride attitude or if he is just totally thick. So he might be arrogant/thick enough to do the exact same today on first Sir Dragonet and then Sextant.

Thanks
    You are digging an even bigger hole.

Decent enough pace in the Coronation. He has mount in clear air and kicks on on a Leger winner and gives him every chance. He was simply collared by one who has form over shorter.

The Oaks was run slower so I wouldn't be comparing the rides.
    You have to act as the race unfolds. He has had to make move earlier than probably wanted too. Clearly PD took him their very easily. He has then tried to put the race to bed instead of taking a pull. Add to that, given the lack of pace, more times than not the ones on the inner will get blocked. The winner you could argue was a tad lucky to get through which she may not have done bar Lavender's Blue folding very early, who was too keen, lost her action and also reported to have thumps by vet afterwards.

Being a top jock and probably being his own biggest critic he may think he could have had that race. But it most certainly is not deserving of the stuff you have been writing.
    All comers, all grounds, all beaten!

This perfect mix of poetry and destruction.

Thanks
    We'll see if the sectionals tell a different story.

If they say he rode the perfect race, I'll be on here sharpo to admit I was wrong.

I reckon if they back me up you should do likewise.
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 1st June 2019 at 8:25 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 875 Posts
    Before you get hung up with the sectionals; what they won't tell you is that Kew Gardens is a Leger winner, and has a Gold Cup entry. RM was probably mindful of this when kicking on, yet was still bested by the speedier horse.
    Surprised Jason Weaver didn't take that into account, either.
    Last edited by reet hard; 2nd June 2019 at 12:44 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to reet hard For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (2nd June 2019)

Thanks
    True, reet, and not something I'd allowed for myself but AOB said at the start of the season Kew Gardens was being trained for the Coronation Cup and his Gold Cup horse is Capri. The brother has the paper copy of the interview. I'll ask him for the verbatim quote.