Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Semi finals

Banned
    Thanks
    I think Argentina have done well with Archie Bunker as manager..a good actor and manager..an unlikely combination

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I can see what you mean, EC.
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    I mentioned to Mrs O last night that I thought he was Argentina's Craig Brown (under whom Scotland became very difficult to beat*).

(*By much - let's keep it in perspective.)
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Wow!

"I asked two players to take the first penalty [they refused] before ending up with Vlaar." - Louis Van Gaal

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakers View Post
    Wow!

"I asked two players to take the first penalty [they refused] before ending up with Vlaar." - Louis Van Gaal
    unreal isn't it?

there is something seriously wrong with the commitment of many modern day players..they should be volunteering..not having to be asked anyway...refusing isn't even an option ...wrong attitude and they deserved to go out then.
    Last edited by EC1; 10th July 2014 at 10:16 AM.

Thanks
    Shameful EC really is, you miss a pen you miss a pen, most fans understand, he should name & shame.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Originally Posted by archie View Post
    As a Brazil backer, I'm happy to retain Fred. Dante may not be Silva but he holds down a place at Bayern so he should know how to handle the German forwards. I'm hoping that the only other change in personnel from the Colombia match will be the return of Gustavo in place of Neymar, allowing Oscar to stay up field and giving more cover when the fullbacks bomb on. Willian can come on after an hour or so, either for Oscar or Paulinho depending on the match situation. Germany have had an easy run through and, while I was confident that they would take care of France, I'm not convinced that they're up to beating the hosts.
    2/10. Had Scolari used more defensive tactics early on they might have been able to grow into the game. As it was, the second goal was rather like Ali's (?) bolo punch which completely scrambled whatever brains they had.
    If they had a fully fit Aguero and Di Maria, Argentina would be a confident selection. As it is, Di Maria is out and it looks like they may be tempted to play a half fit Aguero in his place. I've said all along that Higuain and Aguero like to occupy the same space and I much prefer Aguero but after his goal against Belgium, Higuain's confidence will be high and I'd be inclined to start with Aguero on the bench to come on later if necessary. Argentina's defence has improved as the competition has gone on, protecting what looks to be a slightly dodgy goalie, and that has been mainly due to my player of the tournament so far, Mascherano, who has been superb sweeping up across the front of the back four. The Netherlands are dangerous on the break but it seems unlikely that Argentina will over-commit and a low scoring match looks inevitable unless there's an early goal. Argentina to shade it for me.
    8/10. At least Sabella was paying attention. As Bar said, Mascherano ran the game, and the dodgy goalie came good.
    You still can't see Brazil for what they are. Whether they held Germany at the start by being cautious or not is irrelevant, they are and have been throughout the tournament an awful football team.
    Last edited by Hamm; 10th July 2014 at 10:23 AM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakers View Post
    Shameful EC really is, you miss a pen you miss a pen, most fans understand, he should name & shame.
    England players never minded missing em in the 90's..you were guaranteed a lucrative Pizza Hut ad if you did

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvZWGYkTR7U

although at the time i thought this was a real slap in the face for all the poor sods that had spent 1000's of quid travelling and supporting them

now this is what taking a penalty for your country should mean to you as a player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0OCRrvMBpA
    Last edited by EC1; 10th July 2014 at 10:26 AM.

Thanks
    2 Centre halfs took penalties last night, both went down the middle. Vlar's was saved, not enough power in the shot.
    The Argentinian fella on the other hand.......wow it was like like a bullet from a gun!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EC1 View Post
    to be fair..if he's as good as people believe..it shouldn't matter...at least its not Tommy Smith..Norman Hunter or Chopper marking him. Good players have it easier today than in the past with the protection they get....he would have spent most time up in the air if he'd played in the 60's & 70's.
    I'm always amazed at how the 60's and 70's are so romanticized. I loved that era but those players simply would not have had the fitness and pace to keep up with Messi. Also it's not like they did not have great playmakers back then and they weren't all carved up. Did you see what Brazil did to Rodriguez, a constant stream of fouls to inhibit him. Messi gets a lot of that as well it's just that his sense of balance is far superior to most every other player.

As for George Best if he lived the lifestyle today that he did back in the 60's he would have been out of the game in less than half the time it took him back then.
    ROLL ON THE RESISTANCE !!!

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by brendanr View Post
    I'm always amazed at how the 60's and 70's are so romanticized. I loved that era but those players simply would not have had the fitness and pace to keep up with Messi. Also it's not like they did not have great playmakers back then and they weren't all carved up. Did you see what Brazil did to Rodriguez, a constant stream of fouls to inhibit him. Messi gets a lot of that as well it's just that his sense of balance is far superior to most every other player.

As for George Best if he lived the lifestyle today that he did back in the 60's he would have been out of the game in less than half the time it took him back then.
    there was nothing romantic about the 60's 70's Brendan..it was a tough environment then.

the people who watched George Best for 10 years don't really care about his lifestyle imo..he was carved up every game he played and still achieved a level of greatness matched by very few other players

Thanks
    there was nothing romantic about the 60's 70's Brendan..it was a tough environment then.

the people who watched George Best for 10 years don't really care about his lifestyle imo..he was carved up every game he played and still achieved a level of greatness matched by very few other players
    They did not care about his lifestyle for sure I'm just saying in this day and age living like that today as a professional athlete, you simply could not keep up no matter what the talent. Just my opinion.

Banned
    Thanks
    They did not care about his lifestyle for sure I'm just saying in this day and age living like that today as a professional athlete, you simply could not keep up no matter what the talent. Just my opinion.
    I'm sure you are right..he did say that he never drank the night before he played..but obviously without the drink at all he would have been probably even better

Obviously i'm biased..but he was pure genius..gifted is the word.

In my lifetime i've seen many very good players..but gifted is another thing..i'd say gifted would be..off top of head..

Pele..Bestie...Maradonna..Ronaldhino [for a short time]..Gascoigne?...Cantona...Ronaldo...Messi

players that you would travel miles to see would be a measure i suppose

Thanks
    Interesting list had to chuckle at the Gascoigne with a ?. In the modern era Zidane would make that list for me.

Banned
    Thanks
    Interesting list had to chuckle at the Gascoigne with a ?. In the modern era Zidane would make that list for me.
    i used to work with someone who thought Gascoigne was the bees knees and i got reprimanded for saying i wan't that taken

Yes Zidane..i mean there are lots of great players obviously..but some are worth travelling to see..i'm sure there will be a good few say Frank Worthington as well

maybe its a thread..players you would travel 200 miles to see play..sorts the wheat from the chaff would think

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Gazza isn't in the top 200 footballers of my lifetime...

Thanks
    I was brought up in Manchester in a City family but I'm in no doubt that Best is the finest player that these islands have produced in my lifetime. I'd go so far as to say that he's the most gifted player of any nationality to ply his trade in our leagues even though Cantona made more of a difference to the group of players that he played with.
    There is, of course, only one club that had both Best and Worthington play for them at some time.
    The older I get the better I was.

Banned
    Thanks

No he didn't

Banned
    Thanks
    Gazza was as gifted as any of them Without a doubt

Cantona definitely the most overrated on that list

Banned
    Thanks

I agree with all that

I believe that Maradona was the most dominant player of the list. A wonderful team player and leader as well as extraordinary talent. An arsehole too of course

But Messi for me is the best of the lot. He's a bit burnt out at the moment but his pure ability and vision stands out

Cruyff should be on list. I wasnt always blown away by ronaldiniho..