Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sandown Saturday December 4th

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    Another brilliant finish to the London National.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Beef or Salmon View Post
    Not exactly out of characther either, terrible terrible jockey who gets it wrong so often, zero composure.
    He is absolutely appalling. TTL fortunate to get round. Wouldn't have a job if his brother wasn't a trainer.
    Vote Alfie!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 620 Posts
    I’m not in general a jockey bashed but HS is so untidy. He flaps around like a chicken that’s had its primary feathers extracted. And it cannot really help the horse as it must seriously throw their balance off kilter.
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

Thanks
    Exactly the same as STD. Must be so unbalancing, and also horses probably thinking, 'what, what, WHAT do you want me to do????'
    Vote Alfie!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnyj View Post
    I’m not in general a jockey bashed but HS is so untidy. He flaps around like a chicken that’s had its primary feathers extracted. And it cannot really help the horse as it must seriously throw their balance off kilter.
    I'm no fan of Skelton but I wonder - if anyone has the means to check - how many races he has won by less than two lengths?

I ask because he is the one jockey I regularly notice plotting an inside route. He never gives away ground. Every extra yard wide on the track costs a length per circuit, so anything between one and three lengths per race.

He's no great stylist but I don't mind seeing him on anything I've backed, for that reason.
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 4th December 2021 at 7:51 PM.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    I could see how Bridget Andrews is the best jockey in the stable.

That said, I think Skelton had a plan today - turn down the back and let Third Time Lucki gain 10 lenghts with his jumping - he was 6 clear after the first. Horse didnt jump well enough and even had he done, its a long way from home from the last of the railways. Not sure if there was a way he could have ridden TTL to beat Edwardstone today.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I don't know how anyone can question Harry Skelton's riding ability.

Watched him the other day riding Go Steady which he gave a peach of a ride to

Despite the horse blundering he held him together, no flapping, and rode a first class finish to get his 50th winner of the season.

For me there in no better team in NH racing than the Skeltons today.

With him ridng and his brother training they have won sthat many races with horses that have been written of by others I have lost count.

You can pick out any jockey who's mount is clearly beaten like Negra and Third Time Lucki and say the jockey is all over the shop as you put it.

Not eve AP could have won on either IMO
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 620 Posts
    Each to their own, I guess. But then I wouldn’t have a horse in training there either. Yes sure winners mean everything to them and the results are admirable......but for me I would rather a quieter jockey and a yard with a more patient approach.
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Must admit I do like Bryony Frost. She has great hands and timing and gets into very few scraps.

Somehow you will seldom see her in a photo finish which is due to the fact horses run for her.

It's taken years for women jockeys to get established in the UK compared to New Zealand and Australia.

The crowds apparently went wind when she won the Tingle Creek in Australia that would just be another day at the office.

Linda Meech and Jamie Kah win grade 1 races in Australia every other week and the latter is one of the best jockeys I have ever seen.

Paul Nichols and Henry De Bromhead have latched on to how good NH women jockeys are and are reaping the rewards.

Long may it continue
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanlic View Post
    I don't know how anyone can question Harry Skelton's riding ability.

Watched him the other day riding Go Steady which he gave a peach of a ride to

Despite the horse blundering he held him together, no flapping, and rode a first class finish to get his 50th winner of the season.

For me there in no better team in NH racing than the Skeltons today.

With him ridng and his brother training they have won sthat many races with horses that have been written of by others I have lost count.

You can pick out any jockey who's mount is clearly beaten like Negra and Third Time Lucki and say the jockey is all over the shop as you put it.

Not eve AP could have won on either IMO
    I don't question his ability, but rather his tactical acumen which seems to be on the same level as a brick
    "The religious persecution of the ages has been done under what was claimed to be the command of God. I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do to their fellows, because it always coincides
    with their own desires" -- Susan B. Anthony

Thanks
    That's unfair Flagship, I have met a few bricks that would rightly take offence to that comparison!