Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Clockwatchers' Corner

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    Calling Mr Frisk & other time analysts:

Eclipse day - I thought I was on to a fast race with the one won by Archetype. It was only 29lbs slower, before wfa considerations, than what seemed a true-run Eclipse over C&D. Then when I applied the going allowance to the 7f hcap won the 3yo Mojito, I got a ridiculously fast time rating.

How has that day's figures worked out for you?
    The ground was really quick on Eclipse day. I use the Racing Post going allowance and they had it fast by 0.24 seconds per furlong. I rated Archetype running to his mark of 85 but Mojito running to 105. He's only been put up 5lbs for the win to 88, so could go in a few times more.

I've got the first 3 home in the Class 2 mile handicap running ahead of their mark's on the same card.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MrFrisk For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (18th July 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    Looks like we're in broad agreement, Mr F. I've put all of the 7f race field in the tracker to see how they go, plus the first two from Archetype's race.

I didn't put the milers in as I know they're already well handicapped and will probably be restricted to the big races I already focus on.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 874 Posts
    DO
    The only furlong-by-furlong sectionals I could find for both tracks.
    Both races run on g/f ground. Make of them what you will

Ascot. 12.48 14.23 11.56 11.70 11.40 11.87 12.60; Final time 73.46 (Lethal Force, Jubilee,2013)

Newm. 16.00 14.39 10.42 10.78 10.89 11.01 12.48; Final time 69.97 (Limato, July Cup,2015)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to reet hard For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (19th July 2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFrisk View Post
    T I rated Archetype running to his mark of 85 but Mojito running to 105. He's only been put up 5lbs for the win to 88, so could go in a few times more.
    yes, the problem I have when this kind of situation arises is that the beaten horses weren't beaten at all far so if Mojito is ridiculously well handicapped so must be most of the others. It's why I entered the entire field in the tracker. I want to see how they perform in their coming runs. They might also bounce so the form needs careful reading.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (19th July 2017)

Thanks
    I'm getting a G1 time for Parfait in the Silver Bunbury Cup.

Depending on which standard times I use, I’m getting him between 11lbs and 17lbs faster than Roly Poly. And he might be nowhere near the top of his curve. The second and third also go into the tracker as they bear the hallmarks of job horses turned over by a seriously under-rated rival.

I suspect I'll have to pull down all the times on the day but Parfait looks a lot better than a handicapper.
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 19th July 2017 at 10:31 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Carl (20th July 2017), Colin Phillips (20th July 2017)

Thanks
    I'm getting a G1 time for Parfait in the Silver Bunbury Cup.

Depending on which standard times I use, I’m getting him between 11lbs and 17lbs faster than Roly Poly. And he might be nowhere near the top of his curve. The second and third also go into the tracker as they bear the hallmarks of job horses turned over by a seriously under-rated rival.

I suspect I'll have to pull down all the times on the day but Parfait looks a lot better than a handicapper.
    He's an intersting one, Parfait. I had him running to 113 off 85 at Newmarket in June and last weekend 114 off 100.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MrFrisk For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (20th July 2017)

Thanks
    I've put all of the 7f race field in the tracker to see how they go,
    Mazyoun is first to test the water. Runs 5.00 Newmarket. Only 11/4 so I can let it go, especially as I also like the look of Love Dreams and they're disputing favouritism.

Thanks
    Mazyoun is first to test the water. Runs 5.00 Newmarket. Only 11/4 so I can let it go, especially as I also like the look of Love Dreams and they're disputing favouritism.
    The trainers thoughts on his chances. From Betfair: https://betting.betfair.com/horse-ra...10717-750.html
    17:00, Newmarket
    Mazyoun

There's not much to say about Mazyoun that hasn't been said already, other than that I was heartened by way he ran on at Sandown from a poor position. I wanted him to come through between horses as he is best with cover, but James was getting a poor run through until pulling him wide. Seeing daylight wasn't ideal, but he sprouted wings and kept on all the way to the line. Despite not being entirely straightforward, he definitely deserves to win another race, and hopefully he will get the splits when needed here. The plan is to go to Goodwood after this, all being well.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MrFrisk For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (22nd July 2017)

Thanks
    Looks like we're in broad agreement, Mr F. I've put all of the 7f race field in the tracker to see how they go,
    Two runners tonight at Sandown. One won (7/4f), the other mugged in a photo after idling (11/10f).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marble View Post
    Also, The Tartan Spartan looks likely to move onto better things this season having put an unlucky run behind him when scoring last week.
    This is where you heard it from, diary! Middle of page 1 on this thread.
    Last edited by Marb; 28th July 2017 at 9:44 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Boom boom boom man!

Thanks
    Mentioned on another thread. The Warrior trained by Amanda Perratt. Formerly with Aidan O Brien. This ran a stormer at Goodwood when not getting the clearest of runs. Also, The Tartan Spartan looks likely to move onto better things this season having put an unlucky run behind him when scoring last week.
    Thanks Marble, TTS went in the tracker & the price appeared OK last night so I had a small intererest (anyone fancy a drink in the Aftertimer's Arms later?)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned on another thread. The Warrior trained by Amanda Perratt. Formerly with Aidan O Brien. This ran a stormer at Goodwood when not getting the clearest of runs. Also, The Tartan Spartan looks likely to move onto better things this season having put an unlucky run behind him when scoring last week.
    Glad you backed it, it came in my tracker as well but I didn't look at the race so didn't do it. The original message I put up mentions The Warrior who is entered at Goodwood next week. He has good form at the track, and after a few hard races has had a break of six weeks now which he must have needed. He might be worth doing next week. As Euro said after one of his poor runs, there may be another day for him. It could Goodwood next week.
    Last edited by Marb; 29th July 2017 at 1:31 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The original message I put up mentions The Warrior who is entered at Goodwood next week. He has good form at the track, and after a few hard races has had a break of six weeks now which he must have needed. He might be worth doing next week. As Euro said after one of his poor runs, there may be another day for him
    Bump

Thanks
    I’ve crunched some numbers from the Chester meeting to see how they stack up and if any well-handicapped three-year-olds can be identified.

Wednesday
    The times point to pretty fast ground. Two races appeal as possible indicators of the going and give the other times on the day a lot of sense. The two races are those won by El Astronaute and Russian Soul. I think the latter might have been unusually well handicapped for its class and given its age [nine] but it was arguably let in lightly relative to its all-weather rating.

The upshot is that one race stands out a mile as being faster than expectations and will hopefully throw up at least two good handicap winners. Here And Now (Becket) and Stradivarius (Gosden) had their field well strung out and their respective 7lbs and 4lbs rises arguably still leave them dangerously well in.
    Even I would have to concede that I didn't imagine we'd be looking at the subsequent winners of the Goodwood Cup and Sussex Stakes!!

Thanks
    Calling Mr Frisk & other time analysts:

Eclipse day - I thought I was on to a fast race with the one won by Archetype. It was only 29lbs slower, before wfa considerations, than what seemed a true-run Eclipse over C&D. Then when I applied the going allowance to the 7f hcap won the 3yo Mojito, I got a ridiculously fast time rating.

How has that day's figures worked out for you?
    Archetype didn't do much the other day but didn't get a great ride and/or may not have liked the ground. Seafarer did a little bit better this evening but still couldn't win.

Both this race and the 7f hcap are represented tomorrow.

Thanks
    Mojito duly followed up on Saturday. Prost (6.15 Windsor) goes to boost the form this evening.

Thanks
    Even I would have to concede that I didn't imagine we'd be looking at the subsequent winners of the Goodwood Cup and Sussex Stakes!!
    Hate to **** on your chips Dessie but as good a trainer as he is, even Beckett would struggle to get the 87 rated Here and Now to win the Sussex. It was Balding's Here Comes When that took that.

Good work spotting Stradivarius back then though.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Oops, that's not like you, DO!
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    To be fair Col, I recall reading that he was in (Spain ?) during Goodwood week so easily done.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."