Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Noted in running - Flat 2022

Thanks
    WTF.

What are the stewards on?

To my eyes (not very good, admittedly) Crowley closed a gap that was there. Didn't need the head-on to see it either.

Havlin, surely, has grounds for an appeal?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Colin For This Useful Post:

Outsider (2nd July 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,224 Times in 927 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes, that was my first impression and I started to write it like that until I saw the Stewards’ Report. The main thing, though, is how Free Wind went from there on and it was pretty impressive I thought.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to barjon For This Useful Post:

Colin (2nd July 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 885 Posts
    Despite having the plum draw over Sandown's straight 5f, David Egan decided to take a pull from the stalls on Mitbaahy.
    Stuck on the rail behind the horse he allowed in front of him, he wasever able to get away from that position, and that undoubtedly cost him the race.
    He's a better colt than that.
    Last edited by reet hard; 4th July 2022 at 2:51 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to reet hard For This Useful Post:

Outsider (5th July 2022)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barjon View Post
    Despite going for a non-existent gap and bashing into the rail so losing all momentum well over a furlong out Free Wind then ran on strongly as the first two weakened to win the Lancashire Oaks at Haydock going away like a really top class mare (much to my chagrin). She’ll feature in some top races, I think.

An enquiry was held to consider interference approximately 2 furlongs out involving ESHAADA, placed third, ridden by Jim Crowley, the winner, FREE WIND (IRE), ridden by Robert Havlin and KAWIDA, unplaced, ridden by Neil Callan. Havlin was suspended for 5 days for careless riding as he persisted and committed for his run into an insufficient gap which was only briefly viable between the running rail and ESHAADA, causing considerable interference to ESHAADA and KAWIDA, and resulting in FREE WIND (IRE) turning ESHAADA's hind quarters, which in turn caused both fillies to become severely unbalanced.
    Robert Havlin has five-day suspension rescinded by BHA

8. The Following User Says Thank You to barjon For This Useful Post:

reet hard (5th July 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 885 Posts
    And nothing done about Crowley's ride?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    No

Thanks
    I give up. Stewards, my arse.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Had it been football he'd have been sent off. You could see a mile way had he got through the gap the win was inevitable.

Crowley deliberately tried to cut him off when he was already in the gap and yes the horse did the rest off his own accord but he had already commited a professional foul.

No different than chopping the legs off Ronaldo when he's in the clear and about to score.........RED CARD no question

I agree Colin shocking but they think corecting one wrong admonishes them from correcting the other
    Last edited by Tanlic; 6th July 2022 at 7:37 AM.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Defence Of Fort today in the first at Ascot: absolutely huge stand out colt, would have thought he was a 4 year old, not 2. Nicely dropped in by Jason Watson to get some cover as was keen as might be expected, pulled him out to get a run, easy peasy lemon squeasy. One definitely to keep an eye on if nothing else as just gorge to look at.
    Vote Alfie!!!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to G-G For This Useful Post:

Colin (9th July 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,129 Times in 998 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Outsider View Post
    Two that caught my eye today were

TENEBRISM nowhere near the winner but wasnt given an all out R.Moore finish.

TIPPY TOES 610. I backed this just before the off and it never got any sort of luck in running.once in the clear it started to fly and finished 12th.
    Off 98 it can win a hcap.
    That was nice.

Thanks
    Very nice.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Colin For This Useful Post:

Outsider (10th July 2022)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Difficult to find anything that raises the pulse lately, but Frankie was up on Storm Castle 7:50 Chelmsford yesterday. Despite being very nervous and unruly before the start then hanging and wandering about towards the finish he won easily and unchallenged. Unusual for Frankie to be bothering, so Gosden’s must think this one of interest (unles Frankie is just working his way back in ). Worth watching, I think.
    Last edited by barjon; 13th July 2022 at 10:48 AM.

Thanks
    Unless

Ballydoyle filly was backed as if defeat out of the question on debut last month, going off @ 2-7. She looked professional when trying to make all but not given a hard time by Moore when headed finishing 3rd
    "The wise man is one who knows what he does not know"

Thanks
    Thanked 3,499 Times in 2,755 Posts
    Barjon, hope you don't mind my using this thread for a couple of races rather than a horse or two.

Yesterday evening I managed to catch up a wee bit on the replays of the John Smith's and Bunbury Cups, along with a look at the sectionals. I plan to do a bit more studying later today.

It strikes me that many of the beaten horses in both races are worth forgiving for their performances. The JSC, in particular, appears to have been slowly run and many of the finishers in the second half of the field were covering the final furlong or two every bit as quickly as were the principals. The likes of Caradoc, Forest Falcon and Chichester finished faster - according to the RTV results sectionals - than the winner.

Particularly unlucky, I thought, was Achelois. I know Maruco was on this one and I think maybe one or two others on here too, and it must have been a very frustrating watch for his backers, repeatedly denied space when mounting what would probably have been a winning challenge. A 3lbs hike is a bit of salt in the wounds but the winner went up 5lbs so Achelois will still be worth a very close look next time.

*As an aside, is Achelois a Gaelic word? I noticed the race commentator pronounced it 'A-ke-lo-ees' so was just wondering. (Being a retired French teacher, I was pronouncing it 'Ash-lwa'.)

The Bunbury Cup still baffles me, I'm afraid. I gave the winner very little chance and wouldn't have backed him at 50/1. It won on the near side yet the July Cup unfolded on the far side. The fact that Spencer rode it makes me wonder, as I think I said in the aftermath of the race, that his riding style, ie hold it up and hope the pace collapses, played out perfectly for him and the horse. Bless Him has gone up 6lbs and won't be winning another handicap any time soon.

However, I think overall most of the beaten horses can be forgiven and their performances forgotten.

* Just dougaled it - Achelois is a minor Greek goddess and it's pronounced 'Ah-khe-LO-ees'. Nice to know the commentators got that right. They so often make a total arse of the pronunciation of foreign words.
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 13th July 2022 at 12:29 PM.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

barjon (13th July 2022)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Open season on the threads, DO. I started last one off, reet this one, but they are not “ours” as it were.
    Last edited by barjon; 13th July 2022 at 12:46 PM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to barjon For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (13th July 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PlaceBacker View Post
    Unless

Ballydoyle filly was backed as if defeat out of the question on debut last month, going off @ 2-7. She looked professional when trying to make all but not given a hard time by Moore when headed finishing 3rd
    Should take the beating in first race at the Curragh tomorrow,as current 11-10 odds suggest

Thanks
    Thanked 1,129 Times in 998 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Bunbury Cup still baffles me, I'm afraid. I gave the winner very little chance and wouldn't have backed him at 50/1. It won on the near side yet the July Cup unfolded on the far side. The fact that Spencer rode it makes me wonder, as I think I said in the aftermath of the race, that his riding style, ie hold it up and hope the pace collapses, played out perfectly for him and the horse.

BLESS HIM had been running well.i cant understand your opinion.he had beaten Valfortino giving it 4lb and that horse won the victoria cup.
    If you went back far enough it had given Lord North weight and a beating.i knew it would need luck in running and he got it but I for one wasnt at all surprised it won

Thanks
    Thanked 3,499 Times in 2,755 Posts
    I don't deny that he'd been running well but there were just so many I had better handicapped than him that an outside chance of a place was as much as I could see for him.

His defeat of LN in 2019 was when the latter was prepping for the Cambridgeshire and he went up to 107 for it. Only six times in 25 subsequent runs had he started at under 10/1 and when he beat Vafortino it was in a Cl3 £10k hcap on the all-weather from a 66/1 shot.

I know you backed it in the Bunbury Cup and was pleased for you that it won but if they ran the race again tomorrow I wouldn't back Bless Him at 50/1 because I wouldn't expect the race to unfold as it did.

Simon Rowlands's sectional analysis of the race pretty much says the pace collapsed.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Outsider (17th July 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PlaceBacker View Post
    Should take the beating in first race at the Curragh tomorrow,as current 11-10 odds suggest

Up against Harringtons best two year Old.

Thanks
    Beat her comfortably ,but still only finished 3rd

Not beaten far but however looks a work in progress and probably now needs further