23 58.97%
  • Leave

16 41.03%
Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Brexit - Two Years After

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Beef or Salmon View Post
    Any appetite for an "Ozexit" vote??
    It's a credit to Team Talking Horses that they haven't given Ozbad the boot and just let him carry on in his own sour way, making a bigger tit of himself with every missive posted

'No-platforming' those prone to expressing views the vast majority find offensive just empowers the offender

Let him and them spout their banal invective and then destroy it with a considered counterblast, or preferably the wisdom of silence

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Drone For This Useful Post:

Beef or Salmon (5th November 2018), gigilo (6th November 2018), Grasshopper (5th November 2018), moehat (5th November 2018)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ozgood View Post
    as if i give a toss where fruit pickers come from.. lets hope they stick all the indians in your street you ****
    Now you can go and play with them all for a few days till your suspension is over.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dvds2000 For This Useful Post:

Beef or Salmon (5th November 2018), trudij (5th November 2018)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    According to Ancestry.com

"In 1881, the most common Ozgood occupation in the UK was Agricultural Labourer. 10% of Ozgood's were Agricultural Labourers. "

Not sure what this means, but it amused me.
    Last edited by an capall; 6th November 2018 at 9:41 AM.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    The older I get the better I was.

Thanks
    I doubt the prospect of a divided and exhausted UK opting to stay on would be appealing to other EU members. The margins suggested by the poll don't seem pronounced enough to justify reversing direction. The Brexiteer camp would be too embittered and too influential to settle down as constructive participants committed to making the EU work.

I should make clear that this is purely a personal opinion.
    Last edited by Grey; 6th November 2018 at 12:59 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I doubt the prospect of a divided and exhausted UK opting to stay on would be appealing to other EU members. The margins suggested by the poll don't seem pronounced enough to justify reversing direction. The Brexiteer camp would be too embittered and too influential to settle down as constructive participants committed to making the EU work.

I should make clear that this is purely a personal opinion.
    Don't know what the odds are but another referendum looks like a 10000/1 shot to me,exactly as above/..

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    I'd be intrested to know how many of the Brexit politicians are closet remainers who are merely going through the motions to keep themselves in a job.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    I'd be intrested to know how many of the Brexit politicians are closet remainers who are merely going through the motions to keep themselves in a job.
    Well the Prime Minister for a start!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It is wrong to suggest that all Leave voters are/were racist. It's equally wrong to suggest they are/were all anti-immigration.

Two of my brothers voted Leave, both for different reasons; none had anything to do either with racism or immigration. Their reasons were entirely economic but I reckon for every economic reason they put forward for leaving it would be possible to put forward at least one counter-argument for remaining.

I love them no less for their choice and I acknowledge both are vastly more intelligent than me so they may well be right. As far as they are concerned their reasons are as sound as anyone's for remaining. But I still disagree with them.

I do believe a vast majority of the Leave voters did so on the basis of a campaign predicated on lies, fear and loathing.
    You keep saying this over and over again, as if I am a bit slow, DO. Of course many leave voters didn't vote because of mass migration , so what ? What if they did? Are they racist? That's the point of my post, which I notice no wanted to quote or answer. All you say is "not all leave voters are racist" and "not all leave voters are anti immigration." Why don't you also bother to say 'not all people who are concerned about mass migration on population increase are racist' as well?
    Last edited by Marb; 7th November 2018 at 2:18 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marble View Post
    You keep saying this over and over again, as if I am a bit slow, DO. Of course many leave voters didn't vote because of mass migration , so what ? What if they did? Are they racist? That's the point of my post, which I notice no wanted to quote or answer. All you say is "not all leave voters are racist" and "not all leave voters are anti immigration." Why don't you also bother to say 'not all people who are concerned about mass migration on population increase are racist' as well?
    In the first place, Marble, I don't think I was referring to anything you specifically said.

Secondly, how slow you are never occurred to me.

Thirdly, I thought I was agreeing with you.

Finally, if it keeps you happy: not all people who are concerned about mass migration on population increase are racist.

Thanks
    Would it be true to say that all racists voted Leave?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by simmo View Post
    Probably not but it's an interesting angle.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by simmo View Post
    You wouldn't be far off with 99% i wouldv'e thought..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gigilo View Post
    You wouldn't be far off with 99% i wouldv'e thought..
    Yeah that's the sort of number I was thinking.

Thanks
    It is wrong to suggest that all Leave voters are/were racist. It's equally wrong to suggest they are/were all anti-immigration.

Two of my brothers voted Leave, both for different reasons; none had anything to do either with racism or immigration. Their reasons were entirely economic but I reckon for every economic reason they put forward for leaving it would be possible to put forward at least one counter-argument for remaining.

I love them no less for their choice and I acknowledge both are vastly more intelligent than me so they may well be right. As far as they are concerned their reasons are as sound as anyone's for remaining. But I still disagree with them.

I do believe a vast majority of the Leave voters did so on the basis of a campaign predicated on lies, fear and loathing.
    This is an interesting one, DO - particularly as you think your brothers are more intelligent than you. Could I just ask that when they argued the economics of Brexit, did you ever get fed the "we're better off making our own deals - we don't have to pay tariffs" line - which has been shot out of the water now, as we now actually know that most of the goods we import from outside the EU arrives tariff-free, as a result of all those cracking trade deals the EU negotiated on our behalf. Did you ever get the "well, the EU are still bound to trade with us on our terms: we have a massive deficit with them". Again, that argument has been smashed out the park, as the EU protects the interests of the Single Market. This is exactly the shite us fervent Remoaners had to counter back in 2016, but the population did not know enough to make an informed decision back then. I'd be very surprised to hear anyone still argue that - unless, of course, they think it'll all be alright because Great Britain is so fvckin great that we can do what we like, to whomsoever we like. Then the argument just boils down to old-fashioned "English entitlement".

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Len Madeiros For This Useful Post:

Desperate Dan (8th November 2018), Grasshopper (8th November 2018)

Thanks
    And what exactly are we gaining for our £39 billion exit bill? SFA, I would suggest.

Thanks
    i think there is a very good economic argument for leaving europe, especially for people who are at the lower end of the wage scale
    and mass immigration from europe is not good a thing. im not as well read up on this subject as others, but im not as thick as others either. the government will have to do lot more for younger people and and train them, instead of just relying on cheap labour from europe. its complex subject economics, just because you feel you know or understand a few facts, doesnt really add up to much imo.

Thanks
    Did Rees-Mogg not say it could take up to 50 years before we see any economic benefits from Brexit?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ulleyseys46 View Post
    i think there is a very good economic argument for leaving europe, especially for people who are at the lower end of the wage scale
    and mass immigration from europe is not good a thing. im not as well read up on this subject as others, but im not as thick as others either. the government will have to do lot more for younger people and and train them, instead of just relying on cheap labour from europe. its complex subject economics, just because you feel you know or understand a few facts, doesnt really add up to much imo.
    Do you think a Tory govt will ensure that the fruit is picked in the fields exclusively by its native workforce, and ensure that our care homes and health service are staffed exclusively by its native workforce? And then the market will determine that these people are paid what they are worth, because there is an imbalance between demand and supply of available labour? Of course, let's not forget how many care homes are closing now because private owners are forced to pay the minimum wage, and how our native workforce "doesn't do that type of work" of working in fields. And, further, the same Tory govt will then ensure the upskilling of the remainder of the workforce to meet the challenges of work in the 21st century? I don't.

Thanks
    after the black plague in the middle ages, when there wasnt a big enough workforce to carry out the work that needed doing,
    employers had to pay a lot more money to get the jobs done, they are creating a society where people are working and still in poverty,
    thats a major reason why the majority of people voted for brexit. seems like some shrewd people on this thread didnt even see it brexit coming. FWIW i didnt vote, would of voted for brexit.