Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bay Hawk? Update Please!

Thanks
    Kathy can we have an update on Bay Hawk? Hope he is well & just wondered what you had decided regarding his treatment?

Thanks
    Stop the press!

Aldaniti in Injured Horse Enquiry Shocker
    Welsh and Proud.

Kathy
    How spooky. I was just telling someone else via PM about this, Helen.

Bay Hawk is fine. Brendan and I had a long discussion a few weeks back and he could see I was having a dilemma about what to do so he has done me a massive favour by partially taking the problem away for me. Bay Hawk has been moved to a nearby yard where he will be closely monitored by Brendan's vet. They will then decide the best course of action to take. In the meantime, I have been given lot's of opportunities to go racing with his other horses with the possibility of one running in my name soon.

I have done no end of research on tendon treatments and received lots of feedback from the various veterinary practices and special centres that offer all sorts of treatments, none of which can be guaranteed of course. A big owner I am fairly close to has tried a couple of the options and he is still waiting to see the results. He had a horse that were due to be sold to run in America which meant he had to consider this before he decided which option to go for.

When you find a trainer you can clearly trust it makes situations like this a lot easier when they genuinely want to help both with the best available options and ensuring you do not carry on paying anything like full training fee's for a horse that is only box rested for the first 6-8 weeks.

I now really sympathise with any owners who are with trainers that have their horse in training that unfortunately breaks down and they are left to make the decisions as to what to do next. I feel I have a lot of people I can seek advice from (many on this forum) but what of those owners who just don't know where to go for advice.

Thanks
    Sounds like an information minefield :huh: Glad he is well though & there might be another one in the mix for you soon will look forward to hearing all about him/her

Helen

Thanks
    Originally posted by Kathy@Jan 19 2007, 02:22 PM
    When you find a trainer you can clearly trust it makes situations like this a lot easier when they genuinely want to help both with the best available options and ensuring you do not carry on paying anything like full training fee's for a horse that is only box rested for the first 6-8 weeks.

Thanks
    Bar - has Ardross passed you his mantle? :brows:
    Power is good. Control is better. (Lenin)

Kathy
    Originally posted by Aldaniti@Jan 19 2007, 01:29 PM
    Sounds like an information minefield :huh: Glad he is well though & there might be another one in the mix for you soon will look forward to hearing all about him/her

Helen
    It is a minefield, Helen.

One trainer I know was openly selling shares in a horse that had a leg. The trainer eventually sold it to someone they knew in Hong Kong knowing the horse was injured and knowing the owner wouldn't be able to visit so would continue paying training fees. The trainer left it a while before telling the new owner that there had been an accident. Like a mug he carried on paying the training fees at the full rate. I couldn't believe this trainer was openly telling me all of this as if it were something to be proud of.

Thanks
    Time for a 'Bastid Trainers' list, surely? I know, I know, litigation and all that, but wouldn't it be possible, given the combined knowledge of this forum, to 'allege' certain misdoings? Kathy, what's disturbing about that trainer's action is that the horse could've - I assume - have broken down during a race and caused an accident. We know enough fit and well animals can do that, without selling on one which had every likelihood of doing so. I think that's really one for a serious Hall of Shame.

Kathy
    Krizon, you don't own racehorses for nearly 12 years with a few trainers and not hear and see some very strange goings on.

Krizon, this horse I refer to could never be in a race as he was lame. It was a great way of paying for the horse though. Sell it to an owner that is never likely to "pop in" and then after a while once a few weeks/ months training fee's have been paid announce "oops, it's gone and done a leg on the gallops". h

A different trainer at Brighton was sat the other end of a table with my Mum and I in the O&T's had put their owners horse in a claimer because it's front joints were "dodgy". The trainer didn't appear to care who heard the mouthing off. It was quite shocking as the owner wasn't there, had been told the horse wouldn't be claimed and yet the trainer saw it as a great way to offload a horse that would probably soon break down. The horse won on really hard ground (great for a horse with dodgy joints) and it was duly claimed. I couldn't believe it.

I am sure a lot of horse owners have a few stories to tell of their personal experiences, some good, some bad and I bet there are a few funny ones around too. Luckily, my good and great experiences in horse racing ownership (now) far outweigh the bad ones.

Thanks
    Having worked in a few yards i can tell you some great stories!!! One for example of a trainer who had a horse entered to run when it had been on box rest for 4 weeks but hadnt told the owners because he wanted to keep charging them full training fee's!!! And then when it came to declaration time then told them about its problems which it had supposedly done that day!

I would get hung drawn and quartered if i started telling all my stories and naming names but i know that NO trainer tells their owners everything, they never have done and never will.

Thanks
    Time for an edition of 'Watchdog' on this lark, isn't it? And there we are, thinking that there can't be many more ways that racing can be bent... :brows:

Thanks
    Roughly how much does it cost to have a horse in training?

Thanks
    Depends here you go Helen - and e cost in no way reperesents the level of care your horse will get.
    #YourStorm
    Mr Brightside

All posts are based on the following:
    I know what I'm talking about/ I'm having a stab in the dark
    I'm bored/ You're an idiot and I'm poking you with sticks

Thanks
    Originally posted by Aldaniti@Jan 19 2007, 06:02 PM
    Roughly how much does it cost to have a horse in training?
    @ £18,000 give or take. I only have experience of the flat.

Thanks
    Originally posted by tetley+Jan 19 2007, 07:07 PM-->
    QUOTE (tetley @ Jan 19 2007, 07:07 PM)

Thanks
    Most trainers are averaging £1200-£1400 per month per horse, Helen. Then there are all of YOUR costs, like getting yourself to the courses it runs at (if and when!), any overnight stay needed and a meal.

This is why it makes such good sense to join a syndicate put up by a trainer or an owner, and there are plenty, and most of them are very well run. Even with a HUGE racing club like Wavertree (of WAVERTREE WARRIOR fame), or Elite, you get the chance to own a nice performer who will give you a good day's fun for relatively little. Most clubs just get you to pay a joining fee, syndicates usually ask you to buy a percentage of the horse on offer, then an appropriate portion of the training fees each month. The bigger the syndicate, the less you should have to pay out.

If you ever feel you'd like to be in the owning game, check out any trainer/s near where you live (because you'll want to visit without making a 500-mile round trip) and see what they offer in the way of their own syndicated horse. There are a surprising number of trainers who offer such opportunities, and then you can check out the sort of success they have on the RP by searching for the horse's name and seeing what it's done.

Thanks
    Absolutely, Jon. I've had a bit of involvement recently with the administration of some horses in training with what would be classed as "big name" trainers and when a horse is in full training, being entered for - and actually running in! - races, you'd be looking at well above £2,000 per month; nudging £3,000 monthly with transport costs, lads' fees etc. For these boys, £25,000 per annum per horse would be about right. In Newmarket, I think I'm right in saying that the "name" yards are rarely less than £50 per day "plus extras". It's an expensive game alright - and then you might end up running in a little maiden at Kempton for 1st prize money of about £1,500.

Syndicates are a great idea and I'm sure provide their members for just as much fun for a much more manageable outlay. I've not joined one myself as I'm quite heavily involved with some horses through work, but the idea is quite tempting one of these days. Looking at the web site for the Wavertree syndicate you mentioned, it looks as though they have shares available in a very sweet little filly by Invincible Spirit for 2007. Might be worth a look?

Thanks
    But be very careful of the other members of the syndicate you join. A syndicate made up entirely of friends can be fun... and you will make new friends if you join a syndicate of people that you dont know... but most syndicates contain their nightmares and they can make it alot less fun !! The freaks that turn up to pat 'their' horse, tell 'their' jockey how to ride it and expect personal calls from the trainer at regular intervals to inform them how 'their' horse is, then take over at the races as though they are the outright owner, when its actually a 1/50th . Be very careful.... I would never go into a syndicate again and believe its a lot more fun on your own... yes alot more expensive, but the horse is yours and those annoying syndicate members you never liked are a thing of the past!
    I could be the judge!

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Thanks
    If you try hard you can find somewhere alot cheaper than those mainstream or famous yards. Go for a smaller yard outside of the big training centres.
    I could be the judge!

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Thanks
    Well when i win the lottery I'll do that

21. Similar Threads

1. 2 Sires: Hawk Wing & ROG
      By mrussell in forum General Racing Topics
      Replies: 11
      Last Post: 5th May 2009, 5:10 PM
    2. Newmarket Update
      By Flame in forum General Racing Topics
      Replies: 20
      Last Post: 21st April 2008, 11:36 PM
    3. Bay Hawk Wins