Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Death

Thanks
    It kind of relates to the what the world is coming to thread Paul posted.
    I wasn't going to post this but having been out for a few drinks with an old friend of mine from college (now at Sheffield Uni) and gone back to meet his flat mates at about 1:30am last tuesday night i stumbled out of his flat and took a wrong turn. I walked right past a murder scene having seen a body bag lieing on the corner of the road cordoned off by police tapes and a scene of crime tent type thing which they put up.

This really freaked me out particularly given that the person murdered had been stabbed 30+ times in the chest and that i'd been in an area of the city which i really wouldn't want to be near (Broad Lane, Netherthorpe) particularly late at night.

Has anyone else seen a murder scene? - sorry if that sounds a bit freaky but i don't feel all that safe anymore and am a lot more careful when out with friends.

Martin
    Hurricane Fly - whatever he runs in he wins

Twitter: @Quevega

Ardross
    Yes one was in the Peace Gardens Sheffield ( before it was doen up a tramp was found murdered in a flowerbed ) and the other at Crookes Valley park not far from where you were .

On the other side of the coin Martin Sheffield is a really safe city compared to most of the north . I always feel much more worried in Manchester .

Thanks
    Not been to Crookes Valley Park yet and by sounds of things don't particularly want to go there. I try and stick to the studenty places - its generally safer though "The Ghetto" is around the back of the house i now share with my mates - "The Ghetto" being the council flats off Ecclesall Road, in Broomhall. Walked through there the other night with my friends joking about how rough it was and then a man with one arm walked past, scary.
    I do feel much much safer in Sheffield than i do in St. Helens and besides from Wigan are the only places i've been out clubbing in. Sheffield is much safer than most cities.
    Martin

Ardross
    Martin - it may amuse you to know that those flats are high demand and we had very little nuisance there and few possession cases reported there - you want Ghetto go to Parkhill , Skyedge or Norfolk Park ( though most of those tower blocks have been knocked down ). I used to work as a solicitor for Sheffield City Council dealing with housing cases .

Crookes Valley Park is very studenty it backs on to the Goodwin sports complex of the uni

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks
    seen a few people dead through accidents (killed on the road) and one that died in my arms in a betting shop of all places and treated a few too who recovered ..............
    [B]I once had a photographic memory which was never developed!! that's why I get such negative responses?[/B]
    [B]I used to play the sex organ but now I'm restricted to a YAMAHA...:confused:[/B]

Thanks
    Originally posted by Ardross@Sep 17 2004, 08:57 PM
    Martin - it may amuse you to know that those flats are high demand and we had very little nuisance there and few possession cases reported there - you want Ghetto go to Parkhill , Skyedge or Norfolk Park ( though most of those tower blocks have been knocked down ). I used to work as a solicitor for Sheffield City Council dealing with housing cases .

Crookes Valley Park is very studenty it backs on to the Goodwin sports complex of the uni.
    Fair enough i will be less scared of the area now.
    Not been up to Norfolk Park but had friends live there last year and they where terrified of being attacked when walking up there from taxi's but think the student village bit has its own security. Not heard of Skyedge or been up to Parkhill as yet.
    Think i might have got lost at that Sports Complex last year, is it across the road from the hospital?

Wish you'd have said earlier James about the housing - i did Housing Inclusion and Law last year as an option on my course - had a solicitor as a lecturer.

Martin

Ardross
    Sarah Blandy ?

Thanks
    Originally posted by Ardross@Sep 17 2004, 09:13 PM
    Sarah Blandy ?
    Erm, yeah it was

You know her?
    Had Glen Gidley also if you know him?

Thanks
    I remember one day as a teenager (16? - still at school) walking down the road to the local park with some mates for a wee kickabout. Two guys about the same age as ourselves passed. One of them gubbed me as they went by. No reason. No arguments. He just gubbed me and walked on.

I went straight to the police.

"Don't worry," they said on hearing my description of the c*nt. "He's up on a murder charge next week."

Honest.

Ardross
    No never heard of him . I have known Sarah for quite a while . She is sound . I run into her from time to time at conferences . There was a Sheffield Shelter Group in the 1980s and we were both in it then.

Thanks
    Sounds like Sheffield has changed since I lived in Totley as a kid.

I used to walk home from Totley County Primary School on my own and can count on the fingers of one hand the number of bodies I saw lying outside the sweet shop.
    Banned

Banned
    Thanks
    Sorry, Mo. Whay does gubbed mean?

Thanks
    Gubbed is the past tense of the verb to gub, based on the noun gub, which means mouth. To gub someone is to deal them a heavy blow to the area around the mouth with one's fist.

The verb, noun and action are all commonly used in and around central Scotland.

The verb can also be used figuratively to mean to defeat, e.g. Celtic gubbed Rangers 3-0.

Banned
    Thanks
    Cheers Mo. My grasp of Scottish vernacular is ropey at best.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I reckon you must have deserved it.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    What, just for being ugly?

Banned
    Thanks
    And Scottish.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Isn't that axiomatic, Paul?
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Ardross
    Thank goodness you aren't a dog Mo - an capall would have had you hanging from the nearest tree .

That worries me - if he hangs dogs what does he do to cats

Thanks
    I think that McPlod meant that he hadn't finished with you Maurice.