Thread: Cv's

Thanks
    Just handed mine in to a shop in town after doing it last night - found a lot of things on it hard to figure out and write out, so not sure if i did it correctly does anyone know exactly what should be included in it?

Thanks
    Martin
    Hurricane Fly - whatever he runs in he wins

Twitter: @Quevega

Swirly Chaser
    Your name.

Thanks
    As I re-did mine last night, it's quite fresh in my mind - education, qualifications, employment history & leisure interests should make up the large part of it.
    Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.

False face must hide what the false heart doth know.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    References and a covering letter too.

I have sent you a PM Martin, I can send you a dummy one of mine in Microsoft Word format which you can edit to suit your personal details and save as your own.
    "The owls are not what they seem"

Thanks
    can I have one too please DG ?? ( Just in case I chicken out of things .... )

thankyou
    #YourStorm
    Mr Brightside

All posts are based on the following:
    I know what I'm talking about/ I'm having a stab in the dark
    I'm bored/ You're an idiot and I'm poking you with sticks

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    See your PM Trudi
    "The owls are not what they seem"

Thanks
    I've been lookin for jobs throughout last yr after graduating as well so i kinda know waht u r goin through. I can send u some info on what it should look like or what the standard look is if u like. But at the end of the day, the most important aspects are work experience and qualifications. There is also the matter of covering letter as well.

There r so many different ways u can go into it, its scarey, if u email me, i can send u mine and a couple of my friends and u can take some reference from it. I got hold of my friends as well to compare to mine really.

Also, there are a few sites which r pretty good for jobs. www.prospects.ac.uk
    from memory have some kind of CV.

my email is willho2@hotmail.com.

have fun with ur job hunt!

Thanks
    Thank You.
    Good luck to all finding jobs, as i'm only a student i guess there are people more in need of a job than me so good luck to all!!!

Regards
    Martin

Thanks
    Never put leisure interests in your CV unless you know that the person who's going to look at the CV or do the interview shares a particular interest with you.

solerina
    Irish Stamp , Yesterday I spent a day in a seminar with a top recruitment consultant (all part of our rehabilitation package through work ) If I can work out how to send you some of the documents he gave us I'll certainly forward them . Some of it was common sense but he gave us alot of good tips and ways to deflect awkward interview questions . Although I'm not entirely convinced about the validity of cv's they are something that alot of prospective employers request so if you don't have one you're automatically reducing you're options . One tip he gave was not to state the obvious and put the words CV at the top of the document . Aparently you should just state your name , then give bullet points of your key skills and give the details of education and employment succintly after that . There's lots of other stuff too . If I can send you a soft copy I will and good luck B)

Thanks
    Had a missed call today from a Sheffield landline so hope it's one of the store managers calling me, will have to get back to them tommorow morning before lectures start.

Martin

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks
    As someone who has studied a few CVs in the past, let me pass on a worthwhile tip. Don't have a standard CV - produce a version to suit the position or the company for which you are going to be interviewed. You'll be showing roughly the same information each time but there will be an emphasis on any attributes or experience that is particularly relevant in each individual case.

Ardross
    And the same applies to your covering letter tailor it to the company you are applying to - a standard covering letter is a big downer.

solerina
    That was my point at the seminar . I have a personal dislike of cv's because everyone has one that has been done professionaly. A recruitment agent sits down and copies generic phrases . If I were an employer I would distrust an applicant if they forwarded a cv because A.By it's nature it's a sales brochure B . It has a similar bearing on reality to a horoscope . C . The people who know how to play the system have a roadmap to lead them to the job while the better qualified person may be overlooked because they havn't followed the rules .
    The recruitment manager we spoke to was very good . He listened and admited that he had seen one person who had 37 versions of the one cv template . That seems like a waste of time to me . If you see a job and feel you have the will and apptitude to fit in there I think using a generic template will only mark you out as having no imagination or free thinking ability . I would prefer to do the application form and show an employer how my skills would benefit them because I enjoyed my previous job and took pride in it , showing them what I'd done before and proving my ability by giving figures on past performance . What do I know though :P I'm redundant in 7 weeks h34r: