Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Major Train Crash

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Paddington to Plymouth train has hit a vehicle on unmanned crossing near Newbury, over hundred injured, some fatalities, some still trapped.
    "The owls are not what they seem"

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks
    'Several dead' as train hits car
    06/11/2004 - 19:52:55

Several people died and many more injured in England when a high-speed train hit a car on a level crossing and derailed tonight.

The First Great Western service from Paddington to Plymouth ploughed into the car on the automatic crossing in a village near Reading at around 6.30pm.

Dozens of fire engines and ambulances were rushed to the scene at Ufton Nervet as injured passengers were dragged from the wreckage.

Thames Valley police said that at least nine carriages had been derailed. Many people had been injured, and a significant number of passengers were trapped.

“There have been fatalities, exact numbers are not known at this time,” a spokeswoman said.

BBC Radio 5 Live reporter Jonny Saunders, who was on the train, told of the chaos in the crash.

“Suddenly there was this extraordinary stopping sensation, I immediately thought someone had pulled the emergency cord, but it carried on, carried on, and came to a juddering halt.

“Suddenly all the lights went off, screaming, shouting, we were in the pitch black, then total chaos in the carriage for a few moments.

“I was incredibly lucky, because the carriage I was in didn’t actually go over on its side – the one in front did and the one behind did.

“I tried to get the hammer to break the glass, and managed to eventually get out. We were lucky in our carriage, but there were certainly some people who would be less lucky.”

A British Transport Police spokesman said: “At 1810, we received a report that the 1735 Paddington to Plymouth had struck a vehicle on a level crossing at Ufton Nervet near the Winning Hand public house, on the level crossing at Ufton Nervet.”

A spokesman for First Great Western said details of what happened were still “sketchy”.

A Network Rail spokesman said the accident happened at an automatic level crossing with half barriers on each side of the road.

Richard Micklewright, a passenger on the train, told the ITV News Channel: “I was in the rear of the train. I was in Coach A, the train was running back to front.

“There was a lot of shuddering...then we suddenly realised something was going on. I braced myself between the aisles...then it (the train) turned on its side at the last moment.”

After getting out of the carriage, he saw other train carriages which looked “worse for wear”.

Mr Micklewright went on: “Initially, the lights had gone out and people were searching for the emergency light...there was a little bit of panic.

“Eventually, somebody broke a window. There were hammers for emergencies like this. We then all moved down and went through the rear of the carriage.

“It was difficult to move because the carriage was at a 45 degree angle.”

Mr Micklewright said initially he felt a juddering which became more severe as the train derailed.

“The carriage in front remained upright but I could see that the one after that was at right angles to the track.

“It looked to me like there were a lot of carriages strewn all over the place.

“From my carriage I heard no-one say they had been injured. The train was pretty full.”

He said some people were saying that one carriage rolled over several times.

“There was a little bit of panic with some people saying: ‘Oh no, not us. Not us.’

“I was just grateful that the thing had come to a stop and we were in one piece.

“The emergency services were here pretty quickly considering the distance they had to come – within 10 to 15 minutes. You couldn’t fault them at all. It was brilliant.”

Mr Micklewright said some carriages had gone completely off the rail line.

“Initially, I tried to find out where I was. Major injuries have gone to the hospital and everyone else is just waiting around.

“We have got a pub here and we can get a drink.”

Mr Micklewright added: “On the side of track, I saw what looked like a bundle of metal. I assumed it was car but it was not recognisable as a car.

“This is the sort of thing you have nightmares about.”
    [B]I once had a photographic memory which was never developed!! that's why I get such negative responses?[/B]
    [B]I used to play the sex organ but now I'm restricted to a YAMAHA...:confused:[/B]

Banned
    Thanks
    Oh ****, what a tragedy.

Thanks
    Apparently a car was parked on the track. Sounds a bit dodgy.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks
    6 still trapped in wreckage but seems theres a few been killed too..........................
    [B]I once had a photographic memory which was never developed!! that's why I get such negative responses?[/B]
    [B]I used to play the sex organ but now I'm restricted to a YAMAHA...:confused:[/B]

Thanks
    Watching BBC News 24 at the mo, it's horrific. Doesn't this sort of thing bring you back down to earth with a huge BUMP!
    May the horse be with you.

Thanks
    It's terrible, the crash has happened at Ufton Nervet, 2 mins from home for me & word from home is that my friends have train carraiges in their garden. I'm also amazed that the press haven't picked up on the fact that it is the second fatality on this particular crossing in 10 years.
    Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.

False face must hide what the false heart doth know.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks
    it just said on sky news that they think the guy in the car had parked on there to commit suicide.......... why would he have done this? surely he could have just killed himself not kill others also................

Banned
    Thanks
    If that is true then I am horrified.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks
    6 dead now and 6 still trapped so yes its a major accident no more said on the car driver as such..............

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/

Live video here and an update too................

Kathy
    A press release this morning said that the driver of the car was amongst the 6 killed. There are also unconfirmed reports that the car was seen reversing down the track towards the oncoming train. I repeat these reports are unconfirmed. All 8 of the carriages (including 2 power units) were derailed with reports that some of the carriages turned over several times. At least one of the carriages was listing very dangerously although it was still upright. Thankfully not more were killed, although one is on the critical list and another 16 still not realeased from hospital. An absolute tragedy but if someone has decided this as a way of killing themselves, it absolutely beggars belief.

Thanks
    If it was a suicide I cannot imagine the person would have foreseen such consequences. Television/cinema dramas often portray trains smashing cars spectacularly out of their way. The only one I can remember portraying a derailment was The Fugitive.

This is a dreadful event.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks
    WELL I just seen SKY news and they again have said its a very high possibility the guy did commit suicide .........

I have spoken today to my brother ( THE CARDIFFIAN) he has driven these trains all of his life(ON THIS RUN TOO) and ask him the same question why did it not just push it out of the way and why don't they have cattle type grills as per U.S.A. he said there is but they are directely behind the front facia..........

So it was sods law that it caused the mayhem it has.... and that guy .... well words I find hard to say.

To express my feelings for the innocent mamed, injured and killed in this man made accident ............ :angry:

7 NOW DEAD.................

Derek.Burgess
    A very unusual way to commit suicide.

Sound more like murder to me.

Can anyone remember the last time someone committed suicide in this general fashion?

Thanks
    Derek

Sadly jumping, standing or sitting in front of trains is a not uncommonway of committing suicide. Sitting in a car would just seem to be a rather extreme way of doing this. One can't even begin to imagine the train of thought that would make someone consider this, assuming that suicide was the intent in this case.

Quite how you could consider it murder I fail to understand.

An ex-railway worker friend of mine told me that before the days of painstaking investigations of railway incidents such things were wrapped up very quickly. Basically consisted of railway worker(s) with strong stomach picking up the bits and putting them in a bag. The railway then just continued working.

Incidentally 7 people are killed on the railway but I wonder how many people were killed on the roads over the weekend. They would have caused no more than a passing reference.

Rob

Derek.Burgess
    Hi Rob,
    nice to speak to you again.

I say murder because Suicide is a premeditated event,therefore the suicidee knew that he would not only do himself in,but quite possible take a few others with him.

Very much like a bomber aiming to kill a person and ten others get killed as collateral damage. Do you then say the intended victim is Murder and the other nine are accidents?

What bothers me is that the guy went to the trouble of parking his vehicle at the right time to give no one a chance of getting a warning off.If his intentions were to commit suicide,why not lie down and let the train run over him?

Of course the crash was terrible and i am as sick as anyone else at the consequences.

As far as Railway Accidents V Road Traffic Accidents.

1. On the roads,there are thousands of vehicles travelling at different speed and coming from all directions (Entering/lLeaving/overtaking/coming from the opposite direction)

2. Trains are on lines and do not,normally deviate,overtake or or otherwise travel in any direction other than forwards.There is no overtaking/joining or leaving of the track,nor is there any oncoming traffic using the same track.

Therefore the likelyhood of an accident on the road is far greater than on the Rail Track,Hence the no surpise factor when six or seven get killed in a road accident.

I mus add though that the pain is no less greater for those involved and both are traumatic experiences that i wish did not occur.

Regards

Derek

solerina
    Good comment Rob . As for the murder charge I take it none of those who have commented have had 1st hand experience of a friend or family member who has suffered from clinical depression . There are no boundaries for a person who is clinically depressed but it is deeply tragic that these people's lives crossed with this man . It is beyond comprehension how a person must feel to take their own life let alone how far gone they are to take others with them I'm very very far from justifying this but please don't judge this man without knowing his circumstances .

Thanks
    Don't forget that it is still not known whether it was a suicide attempt or a breakdown. Thames Valley Police have refuted the claim in the papers that the officer on scene had a conversation with the driver of the car. It is a tragic accident but I can't help but feel that something should have been done about that crossing years ago; as soon as the radio said there was a train crash at an unmanned crossing near Reading I knew it was Ufton Nervet. I find it amazing that no-one has commented on the fatality there before, it must have been 10 years ago I guess. I can't remember exact details, the crossing failed or something as a van was crossing & a freight train crashed into it, killing the occupants. My sympathies also go out to the people who were there at the scene; the farm into whose fields the carraiges went belongs to the father of an old family friend who also lives next door & keeps her horses there. She is very upset about it all as whilst she was doing up her horses on Saturday night she saw it happen & had to cope with the victims from the train coming into her yard for help.
    Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.

False face must hide what the false heart doth know.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks
    It looks pretty certain that the suicide theory is correct