Thread: New Nick Cave Double Album

solerina
    The most sophisticated collection of songs released by any band in several years . The most prolific output from Nick Cave and his band of musical outcasts for 5 yrs in my opinion
    This album has sold more copies faster that any other Nick Cave album . Seems like he's suddenly fashionable :P

Banned
    Thanks
    I love Nick Cave. Thanks for that, solerina.

Thanks
    Has anyone here listened to a band called The Magnetic Fields. They had an album about 3 years ago called 69 love songs. A triple album with some fillers but mostly fantastic pop songs created by their lead singer and songwriter Stephen merrit. They have a new album called I, which while not as consistently brilliant, has some brilliant songs on it. They were news to me until a friend pointed them out to me, so just doing a little evangelical work. If you havent heard them, they are worth checking out, IMHO.
    I went swimming in the Caribbean. Animals were hiding behind rocks

Thanks
    Im into the male solo artist, huge fan of Jeff Buckley and Ryan Adams primarily and other artist such as tom mcrae . But also a fan of L Cohen and Dylan. Always wanted to get into nick Cave, but what is he really like???

Where should i start?? i got pink moon by nick drake and was a bit disappointed about that. Is cave a bit like drake?

Banned
    Thanks
    Try Bryter Later by Nick Drake, Will. Demolition by Ryan Adams is excellent too.
    I have everything Jeff Buckley has done and it is alll top class. His cover of Halleluyah by Leonard Cohen is awesome.

Thanks
    Jeff Buckley is absolutely awesome, of that i have no doubt. Its definitely of what might have been. Like u, i've nearly all of Jeff's record bar songs to no1. Mind u, when i first heard of Grace, i didnt really know what to make of it, sure Hallelujah stood out. But as time went on, it grows and grows on u. im still listenin to it now, after 4 or 3yrs since i last heard it, the lyrics in lover u should have come over tugs the heart.

Although, Jeff's new disc is good especially Forget her and other covers, i dont really wanna c anymore since the quality of it might not b as good. After all, lets keep what we've got and cherish the memory of this great man. Indeed, i felt part of disc 2 on sweetheart my drunk, the quality of the song was diluated- good but not outstanding and certain live records as being a bit exterme.

CAnt c any new Jeff Buckley's in the horizon unfortunately but i feel Damien Rice, Ed Harcourt, Aqulaong, Tom Mcrae, all have their respective merits and which all i have a lot of time for. For pure talent though, i firmly believe Ryan Adams is the man closest to Buckley, but he cant sing as well as him nor can he create as uplifting song as Jeff has done.

Ryan Adams's 4 albums too date, has been 'varied' in terms of quality and its style of music as well. Im not gonna describe what i think of them or write a review since i think it will b a waste of time, but what i can say is that if he has a better attitude in his gigs and channel his talent appropriately, a mega album awaits. There has been glimpses over his 4 albums of his talent and yet none of the albums reached out and grab an audience.- a combo of the 4 would b awesome. My preference is Love is hell out of the 4, but from critics, it seems to b Gold. Still, all 4 is worth a listen, he's no Buckley but who is............

solerina
    Hello Will and welcome . The most seminal Nick Cave album is "You're Funeral My Trial " . If you listen to "Sad Waters " I defy you not to be moved . He is an exceptional songwriter and lyricicist .If you're interested ' Check out "Tender Prey " as an exceptional album too but at the end of the day you can't be a tourist with this sort of band . He has 15 plus albums under the guise of The Birthday Party and the Bad Seeds . There is no best or worst . You have to investigate yourself and it aint Westlifes greatest hits :P you make your own mind up .

Thanks
    Cheers, i will definitely nick cave a bash and tell u what i think in a few wks.

Thanks
    The Magnetic Fields are sublime, 69 love songs is a modern day classic.

If you are looking for a more left-field singer/songswriter kind of thing, check out Devendra Banhart.
    He's a Venezualean lo-fi guy who sings about everything and anything, which beats the usual "my girlfriend dumped me and I'm so fucked up" bullshit that casts a sorry gloom over the Irish music scene at present. Damien Rice, and that ugly red-head prat from the Frames to name but two.
    I thankyou,

Thanks
    I've got Damien Rice's current album & it's very good. I also have a Ed Harcourt album which is very good - I saw him live a few years back & he was great. I'm not familiar with Nick Cave, I'd probably know his stuff if I heard it but you don't hear a whole lot of current music out here as all we've got is Forces Radio! I did hear a song played today on the radio by a bloke called James Blunt though that was pretty impressive....been looking for him on the net & found a good site with a sampler of his album. James Blunt Sampler
    Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.

False face must hide what the false heart doth know.

Thanks
    Glad there's more than just me enjoying the magnetic fields, TGD
    I went swimming in the Caribbean. Animals were hiding behind rocks