Thread: At The Races V Racing Uk

Thanks
    How do people see these stations compare with each other ?? As all of the racing is on ATR today I have just switched on 15-mins before the first race only to find first bloody Harry Hastings in his advert and then a feature on Henrietta Knight's stable. Now don't get me wrong it looks a very interesting feature, but surely a better time slot could be found for it than 10-mins before the first race on a busy race day for ATR.

Racing UK for me have by far the better package, they give plenty of time to previewing races and giving us punters plenty of time to weigh up each horse before getting a bet on. ATR fly off to a break after every single race, then give you 5 seconds before the off to get a bet on any race, am i the only one that finds it very annoying?? I know they have to have ad breaks to subsidise the cost of running the station, but surely they can be more strategically placed. We dont even get a replay of the race before it cuts to Harry Hastings and that damn annoying man doing his gardening!!

Presenters wise i dont think that there's much in it, but the production team at Racing UK run rings around those at ATR.

Anyone else like to comment or think that i am talking absolute tosh !

Thanks
    Nope, I agree with you there Bob! ATR really is bit of a joke at times - as for the "features" they keep repeating - well! A lot of their presentations are worth watching the first time around - but they repeat them endlessly, for months on end. They have been repeating one of them non-stop for about the past 3-4 months at least - the one about a woman who rehabilitated a racehorse into a riding horse. I thought it was quite good the first time around, maybe even the second - but now it's getting ridiculous.

As you said, Bob, surely 10 mins before the first there are better things to be broadcasting than a feature presentation they've alredy shown upwards of 4 times today & those incessant adverts! They should follow RUK's lead - they provide a far more professional service.
    Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.

False face must hide what the false heart doth know.

Thanks
    Most annoying thing about ATR is when you have absolutely done your cobblers and tune in to hear the roundup at the end of the day to hear Sean Boyce go into one about his wondeful betting portfolio.I used to like him but now I find him unbearably smug.

rumoursabound
    Don't where you find the time to watch ATR and UKR features.

The racing is all i want to watch,the rest is for.......

Thanks
    Just got through the post the latest RUK club day vouchers as well as a diary (which lists all the club days for the year).Ok that apart it's a bog standard diary but what do u expect for nothing.

Thanks
    ATR gained another track today though - Doncaster.

One thing they do have is a very good website with archive video and several excellent columnists.

The interesting thing about the adverts is that most people seem not to have an argument with the fact that there are ads, but that it is the SAME ads repeated over and over and over again that really grates.

Thanks
    And the nature of the ads; all predatory personal loan companies looking to "consolidate" your house off you.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    ...........but Halmahera, that very good website isn't free is it?
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    Think it is Colin, certainly the video archive, racecards form etc. They do charge for the tv stream though at least it's a tenner less than RUK.

Thanks
    I perfer Racing Uk as well. Perhaps it is due to the fact they 'usually' have better racing over there. The preview and review of races are also much better.

Sometimes, watching ATR reminds me of SIS a bit souless, not enough analysis into the races. I do like some of the Irish stuff on Sundays though.

Thanks
    I'm fairly sure it is an SIS production Will which would go some way to explaining that.

Thanks
    Talking with the bottom-of-the-course RaceTech cameraman at Plumpton last meeting: he tells me a bunch of his colleagues will be made redundant in 2006 since Arena Leisure aims to employ its own cameras at its courses, on permanent towers, rather than trucking in the cranes through RaceTech. Arena really does seem to be aiming at almost total self-sufficiency, what with the stalls handlers taking over during the Winter AW season, and now this. I noticed that they've also hired some Gold Ring raceday staff onto their own payroll at Lingfield (a lot better pay for them than agency rates), so the company seems to be determined to run its racedays entirely self-staffed.

I forgot to ask him how this might, or might not, affect the relay of pictures to betting shops and to ATR, which covers Arena's courses. Maybe Arena hopes to (or already has) cut a deal and sell their film to ATR and Ch.4, etc.?
    Power is good. Control is better. (Lenin)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    For some reason, can't think what, ATR seem very reluctant to show any horses in close-up before a race.
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    Racing UK to cover Perth, Kelso & Exeter from 1st May next year, 33 courses now?

Thanks
    We might not have to listen to Gordon Brown for too much longer so. He annoys the tits off me!! He just goes on and on and rarely has a strong opinion ..... pre race that is!
    Do not mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance nor my kindness for weakness.

Thanks
    I think ATR is cringeworthy but I fast forward to the race....RUK is much more professional but I would NEVER pay to watch on TV so it's a simple answer for me,; watch free or not at all

Thanks
    ATR shows Irish NH racing so the waffling in between I can mute or flip over to RUK where Lydia Hislop is the best presenter of the lot.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakers View Post
    ATR shows Irish NH racing so the waffling in between I can mute or flip over to RUK where Lydia Hislop is the best presenter of the lot.
    I forgot , Irish racing is the most important 1000% better racing ATRs jewel in the crown
    Last edited by harry; 15th December 2011 at 11:48 AM.

Thanks
    I can't abide any of RUK's presenters for more than 30 seconds. They review every single bloody nag in the paddock via their RP sheets, and we never see the animals! They're strolling behind them in fuzzy background, while the Hislop/Mellish duo witter on and on and on... likewise, Jonathan Neesom may be madly in love with Hunter Chases, but his terminally bored tones about everything else, with no inflection between a win by a Seller or the Gold Cup implies there isn't any sense of enthusiasm for what pays him.

Exeter is a sad loss for NH free-racing fans, but there's no way I'd pay to have RUK back with their endlessly-chittering bores.
    Last edited by krizon; 15th December 2011 at 1:04 PM.
    Power is good. Control is better. (Lenin)